Anyone else excited about the Daiwa SV Alphas

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Anyone else excited about the Daiwa SV Alphas

Post by trent_s » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:28 pm

With that new SV spool, and air cast control it looks like a really good upgrade, and at a reasonable price. I never owned the finesse custom, but this looks beefier and more capable of being a do it all reel. I don't know why but I actually prefer aluminum framed reels, and this reel is really calling my name.

How do the Daiwa fans feel? Should I be excited about this reel?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone else exited about the Daiwa SV Alphas

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:32 pm

trent_s wrote:With that new SV spool, and air cast control it looks like a really good upgrade, and at a reasonable price. I never owned the finesse custom, but this looks beefier and more capable of being a do it all reel. I don't know why but I actually prefer aluminum framed reels, and this reel is really calling my name.

yup, only new daiwa i am interested in.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:34 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
trent_s wrote:With that new SV spool, and air cast control it looks like a really good upgrade, and at a reasonable price. I never owned the finesse custom, but this looks beefier and more capable of being a do it all reel. I don't know why but I actually prefer aluminum framed reels, and this reel is really calling my name.

x2

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:11 am

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:23 am

Im stoked about this one. Now we just need an alphas air at under 300 bucks.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 am

I am ordering mine within the next week. The Alpha platform is the perfect size for 90% of my fishing.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:05 am

In translating the specifics about adjusting spool tension and mag brake for use of the SV spool...this is very interesting.

I saw this last year on the adjustment for the MORETHAN PE SV....I hope that TT does do a review on this and talk a little bit more about it...weather it be the Alphas SV or any of the other JDM SV reels.

I think the old way of adjusting for side to side play with spools is extinct....I also think that clicking spool tensioners play an even bigger role now in fine tuning a SV spool. Read on:
Note: The Japanese mean for the Mechanical Brake to mean spool tensioner...NOT the Mag dial for magforce on palm side.

メカニカルブレーキの締めすぎを推奨しないのは?】
メカニカルブレーキを締めるという行為は、ピニオンシャフトでスプールの端を物理的に押すという、一番シンプルなブレーキです。昔のルアー釣り入門書などに「メカニカルブレーキを締めて、ルアーがゆっくり落ちるくらいに調整する」という概念がありますが、最新テクノロジーのダイワベイトリールにとって、それは『もったいない事』。それは、せっかく開発された超軽量(低抵抗)スプールの回転の良さをスポイルしてしまう行為です。 スプールの性能を殺さないために、メカニカルブレーキは締め込まないで、マグネットブレーキだけでフルに性能が発揮できるよう開発されているのがダイワのベイトリールです。 特にSVは「ルアーも選ばない・悪条件にも強い・調整も容易」すなわち実戦の現場できわめて使いやすい仕様となっています。

TRANSLATES To:

And not recommended tightening of mechanical brake? ]
Act of tightening the mechanical brake, that physically push the end of the spool in the pinion shaft, is the most simple brake. "Tighten the mechanical brake, lure much to adjust fall slowly" to such old lure fishing introductory book, but there is a concept, for Daiwa bait reel of the latest technology, it is "a waste it." It is the act that would spoil much trouble the goodness of the rotation of the ultra-lightweight (low resistance) spool that has been developed. In order to not kill the performance of the spool, not incorporated mechanical brake tighten, it is Daiwa bait reel that has been developed so that performance can be exhibited in full only in the magnet brake. In particular SV has become a very easy-to-use specifications in the field of "strong and coordination also easy to adverse conditions, not selected also lure" or combat.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:48 am

This is nothing new, I think, at least not groundbreaking.

I know most people, me included, were taught to tighten the CC knob so that the lure fell slowly when we were newbie. But when we were getting better, we loosened it. Since then, I have never adjusted the CC knob. I have never tighten it to add brake force. I use mag. brake only. I know many other better anglers are doing the same.

I am not saying I am very good at casting, but 95% of time I don't use the CC knob at all. I might use it when casting really heavy stuff that the initial spool speed is too fast and needa be tamed. Anyway, I understand what Daiwa is trying to say, that the SV spool is really user friendly which even newbie could loosen the CC knob and use mag. brake only.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:08 am

[quote="kakaryan"]This is nothing new, I think, at least not groundbreaking.

Looks like Daiwa Dis agrees.....:
"Tighten the mechanical brake, lure much to adjust fall slowly" to such old lure fishing introductory book, but there is a concept, for Daiwa bait reel of the latest technology, it is "a waste it."

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:12 am

I am exciting about the higher gear ratio. :big grin: I'm going to get one and hope to get a few set of gears, if they become available.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:01 am

trent_s wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:

x2
X3

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:33 am

This is the only daiwa that's got me excited right now. I have my eyes on the new shimanos but might have to make an exception :)

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:04 am

I really hope TT does a review on this reel soon.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:13 am

StarTzar wrote:
trent_s wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:

x2
X3
X4! :big grin:

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 am

An alphas with 7.2:1 gears would be pretty sweet.