Reels from Japan??

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
St33Lh3Ad3R
Angler
Angler

Reels from Japan??

Post by St33Lh3Ad3R » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:14 am

I'm still new in here so forgive me for not being up to date....but "HI"
I've been going thru the forums and I noticed people w/ reels from Japan, there are makes and models i never heard of. My question is.....
Are they much better quality? that was a dumb question...cuz I know lots of great stuff come from the east. But you guys really got my interest in getting a hold of these reels now. So are these reels superior than what we have here? Is this just some fanatics satisfying their need for all things JDM? I'm not trying to be A-hole or something, I'm seriously interested in this...I'm checking out some of those daiwa's, they look to be top-notch!! :shock:

SpecksReds
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reels from Japan??

Post by SpecksReds » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:26 am

The Japanese reels are typically lighter and made with higher tech material, consider the Sol and Alpha same phyical size 2 different weights the Sol at 7.4 oz has a brass gear while Alpha at 6.6 oz has a duraluminum gear. It's these little difference's that tend to make the Japanese version's more desirable.

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:53 am

in my very honest opinioin the best reels in the world are made in japan, and while they have some awsome rods as well, i like american rods better, but NOBODY can stand up to american rods :)
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

ezcue
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ezcue » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:59 am

but NOBODY can stand up to american rods
:roll: :roll: :roll: Don't make a statement like that till you have tried the stuff from japan Boone. You know how you feel about those japanese reels........IF you try the rods, you will find the same to be true. To quote one of your favorite words,"awesome", lol :| :|

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:01 am

i know i know, but for now i am stickin with kistler they have been good to me, and i never said i was a good speller, i cannot spell worth a crapp :lol:
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:11 am

SpecksReds wrote:The Japanese reels are typically lighter and made with higher tech material, consider the Sol and Alpha same phyical size 2 different weights the Sol at 7.4 oz has a brass gear while Alpha at 6.6 oz has a duraluminum gear. It's these little difference's that tend to make the Japanese version's more desirable.
Its the driveshaft that is duralumin in the alphas not the gear its brass. But the Alphas AI has the duralumin gear and driveshaft thats how they get 6.0oz.

Also there is a huge option gap in the calcutta's, The conquest has the clicking drag and tension knob and forged handle. The US CTE version has none of these options pretty lame really.

SpecksReds
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SpecksReds » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:22 am

Sorry about that guy's :oops: . Now if I can only get some of those little extra's on my stock Alpha :evil: .

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:13 am

Japan gear means TROUBLE and the bait monkey. Once I ordered my first scorpion it was Downhill from there, now i have 2 scorpions, 1 MG scorp, 2 biomasters, Pixy, alphas ito ai. I will never go back to "domestic" reels unless they come out with something that is amazing in smoothness or quality. :evil: :evil22: :peace:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:03 am

St33Lh3Ad3R wrote:I'm still new in here so forgive me for not being up to date....but "HI"
I've been going thru the forums and I noticed people w/ reels from Japan, there are makes and models i never heard of. My question is.....
Are they much better quality? that was a dumb question...cuz I know lots of great stuff come from the east. But you guys really got my interest in getting a hold of these reels now. So are these reels superior than what we have here? Is this just some fanatics satisfying their need for all things JDM? I'm not trying to be A-hole or something, I'm seriously interested in this...I'm checking out some of those daiwa's, they look to be top-notch!! :shock:
I have a couple myself. You pay big bucks for them or for high end American reels. A big part of the Japanese reels is styling and collectibility.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:35 am

St33Lh3Ad3R wrote:I'm still new in here so forgive me for not being up to date....but "HI"
my only advice? run away.. and run fast! I just took inventory a couple of days ago in preparation for 2006 and I have approximately 46 bass sized baitcasters now, 90% of which are Japanese Domestic products... #-o

and this doesn't count the reels i have for saltwater or any of my spinning reels :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:14 am

There are big differences in the baitcasting reels(US vs. Japan)in both Daiwa and shimano, but with the spinning models it's a little different. Examples would be:
SOL/KIX. Sol, being the US version, has one more bearing than the KIX, but is also made in the same factory.
Fuego/Luvias. Same reel in everyway except color that I can tell. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also I believe the Fuego is a Tailand made reel.
Certate. Same both US and Japan.
Capricorn A/Freams. The Cap being a Tailand made reel. Also comes with a machined aluminum handle.
Exceptions: Exist, Airity, Itö, Type-R, Presso, Emeraldas, Gekkabijin, Proshooter, and Primax. The Emeraldas, Presso, and Gekkabijin being applicaton specific reels. Exist, Airity, Itö, and Type-R being so far out of "most" peoples buget, I would consider buying them only as collector peices, never using them. Well maybe the Exist.:-k

Now Shimano has made more of a gap in 2006. Example:
Stella. Same both US and Japan.
Thats about it though. Most the new Japanese made reels in the Shimano line up are switching to the SR concept right down to the inexpensive Ultegra making a very big difference between the US(market) and Japanese made Shimano spinning reels.

St33Lh3Ad3R
Angler
Angler

Post by St33Lh3Ad3R » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:50 am

Thanks for all the great info....it seems most of those reels are geared towards bass. Is there any models about the same size as a quantum classic mg or the pflueger president. I'm looking for a low-profile, wide spool that'll hold up to 12-15# test line w/ a capacity of 150+ yds. I want this for some salmon fishing. I could always switch and use braided lines on smaller reels but I'm not that thrilled on braided lines, I still prefer mono. :roll:

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:40 pm

The other reason to get them would be the "what the hell is that" factor. No one around here has even heard or seen any of the reels i bring in to get line on. I love all my reels even if they didnt come from Japan. All that matters is they perform and you have fun with them catchin fish. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:29 pm

St33Lh3Ad3R wrote:Thanks for all the great info....it seems most of those reels are geared towards bass. Is there any models about the same size as a quantum classic mg or the pflueger president. I'm looking for a low-profile, wide spool that'll hold up to 12-15# test line w/ a capacity of 150+ yds. I want this for some salmon fishing. I could always switch and use braided lines on smaller reels but I'm not that thrilled on braided lines, I still prefer mono. :roll:
Welcome to T3!

If you didn't need "150 yards line capacity", I recommend the Shimano Antares AR reel . It's become my favorite "heavier duty" reel.

It's 'big brother', the Calais 200 has a little more line capacity and weighs a little more. It's even a little "heavier duty" than the Antares because of its larger size. I use mine for medium weight swimbaits and heavier jigs.

Dan

KAJUN BOY
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by KAJUN BOY » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:27 pm

I have the shimano scorpion and the daiwa alpha, and I can say that both reels can handle reds in the 26" range with no problems.Gotta love those reels!!!!!!