First jdm purchase and in need of help

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

First jdm purchase and in need of help

Post by mprestonSEK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:07 am

Im trying to decide on a spinning reel. Currently I am looking at the Shimano Rarenium ci4+, complex ci4+, and exsence ci4+. I know that I want the reel to be 2500 size but other than that I can't decide what to get. I'll be using it for small trigs, shakey heads, drop shot and 4" senkos.

Can somebody help me pick out the right reel for me? And help me find the best deal from a reputable jdm dealer?

Thanks,
Mike

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: First jdm purchase and in need of help

Post by hobobob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:34 am

IS there any reason why you would choose the CI4+ models? I would choose the new 2015 twinpower over any of these. It's a aluminum version of the stella fi. How do you feel about shallow spools? Japan lure shop seems to have the best price at this time.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:56 am

hobobob wrote:IS there any reason why you would choose the CI4+ models? I would choose the new 2015 twinpower over any of these. It's a aluminum version of the stella fi. How do you feel about shallow spools? Japan lure shop seems to have the best price at this time.
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's an aluminum Stella FI. It's missing 4 bearings and I'm sure there are plenty of other differences. The drag stack, ci-4 rotor, gear material/micros, and only titanium coated bail instead of solid come to mind. I could be wrong but that's the impression of the differences I get.

Don't get me wrong though twinpower it's a great reel and if you're not trying shave weight (TP is around 240g vs 190g for the others) it's what I'd pick in that price range.

As hobobob mentioned japanlureshop.com one of the best and probably cheapest jdm retailers out there. Also check jpangler.com and digitaka.com (free shipping).

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:15 pm

I love my Twinpower, but no way in hell is it a Stella FI, not even a Certate.

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mprestonSEK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm looking at the Exsence Ci4+ C3000HGM. Is this reel comparable to a USDM 2500 in size? How about the line capacity?

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:11 am

mprestonSEK wrote:I'm looking at the Exsence Ci4+ C3000HGM. Is this reel comparable to a USDM 2500 in size? How about the line capacity?

A C3000 would be a 2500 frame (C = Compact) with a 3000 sized spool so ya very comparable to a USDM 2500 in size. I use C2000 for trout and you can't tell the difference between them and a USDM 1000 side by side.

Also HG = Hi-Speed Gear. M = Medium Deep Spool.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:14 am

Pen3 wrote:I love my Twinpower, but no way in hell is it a Stella FI, not even a Certate.
You sure about that? The 2015 version just came out this month and I doubt too many people have it in their hand. All the CI4+ reels the OP suggested is based on the old stella fe design. Where as the new twinpower is based on the FI design. All the essential upgrades are there.

If you mean the old 2011 twinpower vs the stella FE, you could literally look at the schematic and compare them side by side. Minus the bearing counts, I don't see much a difference. I own both, but love the twinpower more than my stella fe.

MondayMonkey you can argue with me all you want about the fancy upgrades. But I think even you would agree that the new platform is there and the essential is there. If only the body material is different, then shimano is doing it wrong and we wouldn't call the stella a stella.

Weight saving is good, but rarely work out in spinning rod situation. Mount a reel on your rod before you decide. Even a casting reel in the same weight range will let you know how the combo will feel in your hand. I would even take the old 2011 twinpower over any of the CI4+ reels.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 am

I wouldn't argue against the frame being the same but when you change what the parts, body, gears, or spool are made out of you don't have much left in the way of similarities. You have a good design made with possibly cheaper/inferior materials. I guess it's a high quality knock off lol. I've not handled the 2015 so I can't comment on it feeling like a stella but I do have an FE and have handled a last gen twinpower. The materials definitely make a difference. It's really not much different than saying a Certate and Exist are the same.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:03 am

MondayMonkey wrote:I wouldn't argue against the frame being the same but when you change what the parts, body, gears, or spool are made out of you don't have much left in the way of similarities. You have a good design made with possibly cheaper/inferior materials. I guess it's a high quality knock off lol. I've not handled the 2015 so I can't comment on it feeling like a stella but I do have an FE and have handled a last gen twinpower. The materials definitely make a difference. It's really not much different than saying a Certate and Exist are the same.
the entire daiwa spinning line shares the same frame design so materials is what's the difference.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm

Just get the Rarenium Ci4+ 2500 and call it a day. Super reel for the prices right now :big grin:

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mprestonSEK » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:27 pm

I ended up getting the Exsence Ci4+ C3000HGM. I ordered it from japanlureshop.com. Can't wait to get my hands on it :D