TDZ R+ Gigas spool vs ZPI RC-002

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: TDZ R+ Gigas spool vs ZPI RC-002

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:16 am

Got the ZPI blue emblem out today. I can say it is one fine casting spool. I was bombing a 3/16oz pond magic spinner with little effort. I found myself chuckling about the distance and ease. I tried to overrun it and could not. I had the CC set with a quick controled fall and brakes as low as 3.5. Once into the wind I got 3 loose coils. In fairness, the bearings on the reel are all in need of service. You can see and hear what I'm talking about below. Tough holding phone shot.

https://youtu.be/ZMR9ALdilPY

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:40 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:Got the ZPI blue emblem out today. I can say it is one fine casting spool.
Totally agree I have that spool to and it is by far the best overall reel I have used with nothing else really even coming close. It does great with finesse as long as its not crazy light finesse and does just as good with heavy baits. It has the cast control of the RC-002 spools but with greater distance for all baits and can cast light baits much better. It kind of seems like the SV spools but even easier to use with better distance.

I didn't compare it originally since they are almost impossible to find but I like it much more than the Gigas or RC-002 spool. I wonder why ZPI made so many of the RC-002 and RC-001 spools and hardly any of the blue emblem spools when they are such an amazing performer.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:26 am

Whats the line capacity on the blue emblem?

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri May 01, 2015 7:32 am

I tend to whip the cats pretty hard and I think the fixed rotor is an advantage. It seems like a step up in capacity (alphas 105h -8/100,10/75) at 10/100, 12/75. It is a real fun spool that is fairly effortless and stress free.

Edit: I stripped the mono and it was more like 80 yards of #10 stren original. I might have been a little wishful.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:38 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:40 pm
RMCatchNrelease wrote:Got the ZPI blue emblem out today. I can say it is one fine casting spool.
Totally agree I have that spool to and it is by far the best overall reel I have used with nothing else really even coming close. It does great with finesse as long as its not crazy light finesse and does just as good with heavy baits. It has the cast control of the RC-002 spools but with greater distance for all baits and can cast light baits much better. It kind of seems like the SV spools but even easier to use with better distance.

I didn't compare it originally since they are almost impossible to find but I like it much more than the Gigas or RC-002 spool. I wonder why ZPI made so many of the RC-002 and RC-001 spools and hardly any of the blue emblem spools when they are such an amazing performer.

Is there a way to know what and how many spools they produced?
Is the ZPI RC002s GP-R the same as the 002?
cause this one seems rather expensive being that many were produced but ifs its worth it I'll try and procure it..
Please let me know..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:16 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:38 pm
hungry_cow wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Is there a way to know what and how many spools they produced?
Is the ZPI RC002s GP-R the same as the 002?
cause this one seems rather expensive being that many were produced but ifs its worth it I'll try and procure it..
Please let me know..
Get one, play with it for a couple years. If you don't like it and decided to sell it you will probably end up only losing pp fee plus shipping

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 am

Do the tdz r+ and steez 103 r+ spools perform the same?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am

All my SV spool reels are reserved for guest rods.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 am
Do the tdz r+ and steez 103 r+ spools perform the same?
Yeah, they're identical. I actually thought I had a Steez R+ spool in my TD-Z when it was actually a Gigas spool with an R+ inductor assembly.