TDZ R+ Gigas spool vs ZPI RC-002

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

TDZ R+ Gigas spool vs ZPI RC-002

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:04 pm

This spring when it started to warm a little before the ice melted I spent a bit of time comparing these spools. I used them both in a TDZ personal order with 10 lb mono on each spool comparing them on the same rods with various lures so there would be no variable but the spool.

Advantages of R+ Gigas spool:
-When lure was heavy enough it cast consistently slightly further (around 5 yards for a long cast)
-Had a little smoother nicer flowing feel to me (with heavy enough lure)

Advantages of ZPI RC-002 spool:
-Greater spool control with all baits, could use less braking and no overrun worries even in wind
-Could effectively cast slightly lighter baits
-When casting a bait too light for the spool you only lost distance and accuracy but still had spool control and no overruns,
with R+ Gigas spool casting too light a bait it tended to overrun.

Personal Conclusion:

Both are great spools and overall more similar than different. I setup the Gigas R+ spool to use with braid for heavier baits & frogging since that is where it performs better and the ZPI RC-002 spool with flourocarbin to have the spool control with a stiffer line that is less forgiving with backlashes and where removing a backlash often results in a kink where your line breaks and you lose expensive line!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: TDZ R+ Gigas spool vs ZPI RC-002

Post by africanbass » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post a review =D>
Everyone has their own unique casting action/tackle combinations, this explains varying user feedback.
Strangely enough I use the R+ spool for my lighter presentations and the ZPI MG spool for bombing long range 1/2 oz lures. Just shows how many other variables come into play.
Personally I find the SV spools limiting, others swear by them. Just another example of how performance is highly individual based on a complex combination of factors.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Interesting findings HC! I enjoy reading what guys think about spools in these platforms. Craig, we see this one very similarly. The SV spools are nice, but they don't have the electricity of an R+ spool for me, but they're "easier" to use. I have a couple and they're fine, but no way I'm loading up on SV based spools in favor of the timeless classics.

I'd take the R+ spool over just about any other spool out there for general purpose fishing. It's a pitching machine, can cast long distances, can skip baits, and is just an awesome performer. I like the RC-001 for the long distance casting with lipless cranks, spooks, especially in windy conditions. The RC-002, I enjoy for shorter range target casting and skipping.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm

bronzefly wrote:Interesting findings HC! I enjoy reading what guys think about spools in these platforms. Craig, we see this one very similarly. The SV spools are nice, but they don't have the electricity of an R+ spool for me, but they're "easier" to use. I have a couple and they're fine, but no way I'm loading up on SV based spools in favor of the timeless classics.

I'd take the R+ spool over just about any other spool out there for general purpose fishing. It's a pitching machine, can cast long distances, can skip baits, and is just an awesome performer. I like the RC-001 for the long distance casting with lipless cranks, spooks, especially in windy conditions. The RC-002, I enjoy for shorter range target casting and skipping.
agreed 100# gary...love the type r+ spool

btw, anybody have a type r+ spool that wanna trade or sell let me know. also looking for 100m spool! :mrgreen:

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:02 am

bronzefly wrote:. The SV spools are nice, but they don't have the electricity of an R+ spool for me, but they're "easier" to use.
Completely agree, I have one SV 105 spool and it works great in my TD Ito that I use for soft plastics. It really tames that reel and gives super control for skipping, pitching, target casting and can go from finesse to heavy baits. But I have no desire to get one for anything else as it just seems to take allot of the fun out of casting and looses long cast distance. I wouldn't want one for moving baits.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:12 am

Very interesting. I'm about to replace my TD-Ito spool with a 002 and have a second 002 that is going in one of my I'ze Personals. The TD-Ito I use mainly for bombing frogs, skipping frogs (not exactly fun with the ito spool :lol: ) and pitching jigs. This I'ze I use for smaller cranks up to 5/8oz max, mainly lipless baits, 3XD, Bandit 100/200 series, Rapala DT's, Griffons, Knuckle 60's, etc. I really like the Gigas R+ spool and so far it is my favorite for pure distance. It really does work well with lighter cranks too. We'll see how the 002 performs, mainly looking to gain lighter bait control with it. If it doesnt live up to the R+ spool it's probably going to come out. I may replace the 1016 in my Steez with it at that point.

As for the SV spools, I really like my 105 in the Alphas. I'm not kidding when I say I can put baits out as far as my 1016. The 1016 is on a XX EMTF with 12lb fluoro, the SV 105 on a NRX 893c with 40lb Power Pro. Same distance if not a little better with the SV 105, more spool control, and much better skipping control. Really making me ponder grabbing a SV 105 to put in there.

HC, at what weight would you say the breakover was for the R+ to gain distance over the 002? Nice review, thank you for it.

BTW dont let Trent_S see this thread, guy just cant wrap his head around the Gigas r+ being a monster spool :lol:

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:38 am

[quote="Teal101" HC, at what weight would you say the breakover was for the R+ to gain distance over the 002? [/quote]

Not a huge difference the RC-002 isn't a finesse spool either. It doesn't really ever gain distance over the R+ just gives you better cast control at the lower range of the spools when you get a little below 3/8 ounce or a not so aerodynamic bait. Probably 1/4 to 3/8 the RC-002 is better for me and over 3/8 the R+ is better. But for me at 1/4 ounce you are better off with another spool.

For lighter baits like your Bandits or Dt 4s/6s I prefer the stock TDZ 105 spool. It has great cast control and does great for lighter baits, but a SV spool would also work if you like them. A DT 6 casts great with the RC-002 spool but crankbaits lighter than that seem a little too light for it.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:14 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Teal101 wrote: HC, at what weight would you say the breakover was for the R+ to gain distance over the 002?
Not a huge difference the RC-002 isn't a finesse spool either. It doesn't really ever gain distance over the R+ just gives you better cast control at the lower range of the spools when you get a little below 3/8 ounce or a not so aerodynamic bait. Probably 1/4 to 3/8 the RC-002 is better for me and over 3/8 the R+ is better. But for me at 1/4 ounce you are better off with another spool.

For lighter baits like your Bandits or Dt 4s/6s I prefer the stock TDZ 105 spool. It has great cast control and does great for lighter baits, but a SV spool would also work if you like them. A DT 6 casts great with the RC-002 spool but crankbaits lighter than that seem a little too light for it.
Sounds good, cant wait to try it out. The R+ spool casts those light DT-4 baits a mile for me. Basically just looking for good control with baits down in that range and less aerodynamic baits like the 3XD. The 1/4oz baits are as light as I go and am usually in the 1/4-7/16 area.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:48 am

The RC-002 really excels with non aerodynamic baits or in wind because of its great spool control. You don't have to crank up the magnetic breaks much at all.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:11 am

hungry_cow wrote:The RC-002 really excels with non aerodynamic baits or in wind because of its great spool control. You don't have to crank up the magnetic breaks much at all.
Perfect, thats what I'm looking for!

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 pm

I actually really love the TD ito stock spool. Many says it is "wild child" but it never bothers me. Mine is equipped with Hedgehog Air bearings so its even "wilder". My friends who used to cast centri brake reel couldn't cast it. :lol:

For bass fishing, 50% pitching 50% casting, 1/4oz stuffs up to 2oz swimbaits, the ito is the perfect spool.

For situations where I only cast but no pitch, then I'd take the SV. A slower spool thats easier to cast but too slow for pitching.

I have never been a fan of those ZPI RC spool. Bought the 001 for the impression of a long cast spool but was a bit disappointing. My LIN spool (basically a 1016) casts further than it.

I dont have the normal T31016 spool to compare. Maybe the LIN spool is soooo good becos of its Megabass magic, opps, tuning I mean.....

The ZPI RC spools look great though. The ito matching colour spool in my TD ito is beautiful.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:20 am

I like the RC-002 spool. I also have an RC-202 spool in a Monoblock. The 002 and 202 are the same, except the shaft length. The 202 is made for the Millionaire/Monoblock reels.

The only issue I have is line capacity. I was doing some experimenting a while back. The Monoblock on a 7 ft ML rod, spooled with 8 lb mono, and a 1/4 oz spoon. I kept casting setting the brakes lower and lower. I finally had the brakes set on minimum. It was still very controllable with only slight thumbing. There was only 2 layers of line left on the spool.

I realize a spoon is very easy to cast.. I figured on a 7 ft medium with 1/2 oz bait you might spool it. I know also with a 1/4 oz spoon I could go with a lower lb test or braid and get more yards of line.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 am

I also love the stock ito spool which I've read is a wild child. I seem to have no problems casting and pitching with ease with this spool. I have tdz r+ that I also love. However my steez 103 seems to be that wild one for me. The sv spool in the steez is magic.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:25 am

I like the Ito spool for pitching and casting, it really is fast and works well for that. I get an occasional loop when casting, generally when I try to force a cast too hard and the spool over accelerates. Skipping on the other hand is a PITA with it, which is why I'm going 002. If I lose too much distance though I may just have to get another Ito for skipping only :lol: It is a tad wild off the bat, but pretty easy to get used to.

I love pitching with the SV spool, I dont think it is too slow. Low brake settings and I can do quite a bit with it.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:36 am

Well I put both of my new to me 002's to work this weekend.

Spool #1 went into my TD-Z I'ze 103HL on a X7 Super Elseil for cranks. It spent all day Saturday (12-1/2 hours) throwing an LV-100 so I got a lot of good time with it. Compared to the Gigas R+ spool it is easier to control. Casting into a strong headwind was easy with no fluff. I did lose about 10ft of overall distance and up to 15ft of distance into wind. For me the added control was not worth the lost distance as I really had to lean into it to get distance whereas the Gigas seemed easier to cast long for me. The Gigas is going back in this reel. 28 fish to the shore with this combo this weekend :mrgreen:

Spool #2 went into my TD-Ito on a XX Perfect Pitch for frogs. I spent Sunday afternoon throwing a frog on it to test the spool and see if any fish were hot enough to hit a frog in April in WA. Distance was again a little short from the Ito Gigas R spool. I didnt experience the random overruns though when leaning into the rod to power a cast like I did with the R spool. I was able to do some skipping with it, but experienced a good bit of fluff when doing it. As I added a bit of braking to combat that the bait lost momentum too quick to get back in there. Maybe I'm just not meant to skip frogs ](*,) This spool is going to stay in for now as it's easier to control when smashing my bait into cover and such and the distance loss was negligible for the lack of random overruns from the R spool. And yes, I caught a few frog fish :lol: