What reels for Megabass Diablo Fast Move and Extreme Mission

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What reels for Megabass Diablo Fast Move and Extreme Mission

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me zone in on a reel for each of my latest purchases; Megabass Diablo Fast Move and Extreme Mission.

I hear a lot of good things about; JDreams, Megabass IP's, Metainium and Antares but don't have the foggiest as to which is better.

For a newbie to Baitcasting, would I be stupid not to get digital control ?

Regards

Matthew

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What reels for Megabass Diablo Fast Move and Extreme Mis

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:54 pm

EM + Steez Ltd = money!

Joe H
Angler
Angler

Post by Joe H » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Metanium xG

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:13 pm

I don't understand why people still think Metanium line is better than the J-Dream line. They are totally different beast and the J-Dream eats the met alive. Only positive i can think of for the Met is a very light and balanced rod that needs the light weight of the Met, but sadly most rods are slighting tip heavy. After playing with 6 different Mets, none was as smooth or powerful as the J-Dreams i own. Going to pick up a few Zillion SV spools to test out later too. I do own Shimano reels and use them every outing, but i might have a slight bias because i prefer the no effort Daiwa cast system.

Joe H
Angler
Angler

Post by Joe H » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 am

Pen3 wrote:I don't understand why people still think Metanium line is better than the J-Dream line. They are totally different beast and the J-Dream eats the met alive. Only positive i can think of for the Met is a very light and balanced rod that needs the light weight of the Met, but sadly most rods are slighting tip heavy. After playing with 6 different Mets, none was as smooth or powerful as the J-Dreams i own. Going to pick up a few Zillion SV spools to test out later too. I do own Shimano reels and use them every outing, but i might have a slight bias because i prefer the no effort Daiwa cast system.
I'm not saying it's better. I've never used a j-dream. Might pick one up in the future. But for now the met meets my needs. :D

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:19 am

I've got the 50th Anniversary Zillion on my Diablo Fast Move and it's a really nice combo. I've been fishing mostly Keitech swimbaits on it.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:37 am

Megabass outlet was selling the IP79 for $236.

Log on and let them know you are interested since I think they sell those fast!

Fantastic reel and will do well on either one of those rods.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 am

I think the Diablo Fast Move is suited to Chatterbaits and Swim Jigs so I thought a slower gear ratio would be best so possibly ththe JDream 6.3 ?

I also plan to use the Extreme Mission with the Jackall Tungsten Spade jig to pull double duty as a bottom contact jig and a swim jig so again, am I better opting for a slower gear ration.

With the Extreme Mission, I'm thinking Antares or Calais DC big boys to balance that tip weight out.

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:25 pm

If it was my choice today I would get an IP68 on both. The 6.8 ratio is very versatile and those rods can be used for all types of moving and bottom presentations. You can't balance out a long rid with a heavy reel. You are better off just getting the reel you want then adding a little weight to the butt of the rod.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:51 am

It's not that the Met is "better" than the J Dream. J Dreams are pretty hard to come by. If you come across a nice one for a reasonable price then it's a no-brainer.

I vote IP or Metanium. It's really hard to argue with the price for what you get.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:06 am

Appreciate the steer in the right direction, especially regarding weight. I will stick to heavier reels for heavier applications :)

Any ideas what a good condition used JDream would run to and where to get one ?

Also, what should I pay for a new IP68 or Metainium and the new DC version ?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 am

Do you want the US warranty or can live without it?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:14 am

Joe H wrote:
Pen3 wrote:I don't understand why people still think Metanium line is better than the J-Dream line. They are totally different beast and the J-Dream eats the met alive. Only positive i can think of for the Met is a very light and balanced rod that needs the light weight of the Met, but sadly most rods are slighting tip heavy. After playing with 6 different Mets, none was as smooth or powerful as the J-Dreams i own. Going to pick up a few Zillion SV spools to test out later too. I do own Shimano reels and use them every outing, but i might have a slight bias because i prefer the no effort Daiwa cast system.
I'm not saying it's better. I've never used a j-dream. Might pick one up in the future. But for now the met meets my needs. :D
I have both and both have their own place. The J-Dream is smoother but all around Metanium is a better performance.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:17 am

I'd put a Daiwa LTD or Met on the Diablo, I don't think you want to go any heavier on that rod, it handles great with a Steez. A JDream on the EM, but it wouldn't be bad with a lighter reel. Two great sticks, awesome.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:24 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Joe H wrote:
I have both and both have their own place. The J-Dream is smoother but all around Metanium is a better performance.
You are also comparing brass geared aluminum BC with a harden aluminum geared magnesium one. I do not have a J-Dream, but I do own a IP79, and I think its smoother to turn the Met over the IP. The geariness of Daiwa just feels like additional resistance to me, and isn't what I define as smooth. I can lightly turn my micro-module geared shimanos and have it simply glide through with the retrieves, which is not something I seen Daiwa offer. I also haven't see the same tight tolerance that Daiwa offers in Shimano line. I would put Met 13 or the Diablo, and J-Dream or IP on the Extreme Mission