New bfs rod, a few questions.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New bfs rod, a few questions.

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 am

The ss air is calling for a true bfs rod and I intend to deliver. Looking at the Jackson rods and majorcraft at the moment. I've toyed with the Jackson tricksters and really loved the 6"4" light model but I have a few questions. What are the advantages of the solid vs hollow blank. The 6ft solid was noticeably heavier and seemed to have a softer blank but what is the reason/advantage for going solid blank?

Also what majorcraft rods compare with the bastard and trickster series from Jackson? Any personal preference? Thanks.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New bfs rod, a few questions.

Post by IAY » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:13 am

I am assuming you mean solid tip model or "all solid". The solid model allows for much softer tip, allowing for much faster hookset, and supposedly increases sensitivity (I don't know. I don't own one)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:18 am

I would compare the Corzza to the Bastard (owned both) . The Corzza is a little heavier and build quality on both were top notch. Super Trickster would probably compare well with an MS-X, though the MS-X has titanium framed guides. It's a rough life having all these stellar rods to choose from.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:07 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I would compare the Corzza to the Bastard (owned both) . The Corzza is a little heavier and build quality on both were top notch. Super Trickster would probably compare well with an MS-X, though the MS-X has titanium framed guides. It's a rough life having all these stellar rods to choose from.
Mark is spot on. I've used some of majorcrafts cheaper rods and build quality is great. Ive only heard good things about the tricksters as well.

For higher end bfs rods, I've now used the jackall Ultima, poison glorious, expride, and megabass x7 and wouldn't hesitate to use a majorcraft or Jackson.

I hope to add an ms-x and 6'4L trickster to the arsenal some day...

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:08 am

I'll throw this out there as an option. I use 1/8 oz and slightly less with casting rigs often for sea trout in the gulf. Don't under estimate the value of a custom rod in this instance. In my opinion this is one place customs can truly shine. Many spinning blanks can be converted to casting for this application with awesome results. I've turned many 7 to 7.5 ft spinning blanks (including ultra lights) into casting rods with great results. Don't under estimate how much casting distance and ease of casting (plus the ability to move line on a hook set) can be had with a longer rod that typically isn't commercially available. I think customs are always great, but in standard applications plenty of factory rods are available. Custom adds all spinning blanks to the equation, which gives a ton of new bfs options.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:15 pm

I've often considered throwing the reel on my st croix ul spinning rod just to test casting abilities in the yard. Having so many options out there is nice until you have to decide on just one (for now) lol.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:27 pm

craigrbns wrote:I'll throw this out there as an option. I use 1/8 oz and slightly less with casting rigs often for sea trout in the gulf. Don't under estimate the value of a custom rod in this instance. In my opinion this is one place customs can truly shine. Many spinning blanks can be converted to casting for this application with awesome results. I've turned many 7 to 7.5 ft spinning blanks (including ultra lights) into casting rods with great results. Don't under estimate how much casting distance and ease of casting (plus the ability to move line on a hook set) can be had with a longer rod that typically isn't commercially available. I think customs are always great, but in standard applications plenty of factory rods are available. Custom adds all spinning blanks to the equation, which gives a ton of new bfs options.
Yep. This was my final destination. Light powered popping blanks make fantastic BFS sticks imo.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:09 am

ss30378 wrote:I've often considered throwing the reel on my st croix ul spinning rod just to test casting abilities in the yard. Having so many options out there is nice until you have to decide on just one (for now) lol.
I had my core 51bfs reel mounted on my old 1st gen 6'8m cumara spinning rod. Told myself some day I'll get a bfs rod built off a spinning blank, feels so good.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:33 am

I have also used other rods for bfs casting. I use a 4ft ice fishing rod for stream fishing. The guides are between a casting and spinning rod, size wise. I also used the top half of an older St Croix 10.5ft UL. Bends all the way to the "butt" and launches light lures. No backbone but a blast to fish with.