Which reel is best for 1/10th to 1/8th ounce cranks/plugs?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which reel is best for 1/10th to 1/8th ounce cranks/plugs?

Post by ibobpeb » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:59 pm

For over 20 years I've been using 6'6" - 7' light spinning combos to catch river smallmouth in northern wisconsin. The main lures I use are the Rebel Tiny Wee Craw and small Pop-R... and similar lures from other tackle companies. Basically, nothing weighing over 1/8th oz... and doesn't diver deeper than 3 feet.

I'd like to get into finesse bait casting and have read through most of the older threads. I've narrowed it down to the PX68L SPR and ALPHAS SV 105L. I'm open to other suggestions as well, but most importantly, does anyone have experience with both reels I mentioned, and which one would be better suited for the tactics I'm using?

The Alphas SV 105 seems to be new for 2015, but does new mean better than the old pixys? The price is pretty much the same... my budget for a BFS reel is under $240. Thanks in advance.

p.s. this reel will be going on a Major Craft Volkey BFS rod.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which reel is best for 1/10th to 1/8th ounce cranks/plug

Post by IAY » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Neither one of those reels will handle 1/10th very well, since their spools are quite heavy for real finesse standards. You are better off getting Scorpion 1000XT or older Core50/Aldebaran50 with Yumeya shallow MG spool for that money.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:38 am

Your best option would be SS Air. T3 Air is the best but a bit over your budget.

For anything cheaper and need to cast 1/10 to 1/8 oz ? Better buy a spinning reel.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:40 am

The revo LT will handle those weights and come in well under budget

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:21 am

I think you're already using the best reel for those weights. A threadline. Why would you want to make life more difficult?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:54 am

I second the ss air, although I fair pretty well with my ss sv 103 and t3 with a shallow sv1000 spool going that low, but I rarely fish below ~1/4 total weight. Either will launch a 3/16 duo rozante, which is aerodynamic and equipped with a weight transfer system and I can cast a 1/10 shroomz with a trd a respectable distance, but I'm sure either of the air reels would do better. Good luck finding one for $240 or less, though. I definitely understand want to put down that spinning reel. I use a Volkey 68L/bfs, btw.

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:13 pm

ibobpeb wrote:

I'd like to get into finesse bait casting and have read through most of the older threads. I've narrowed it down to the PX68L SPR and ALPHAS SV 105L. I'm open to other suggestions as well, but most importantly, does anyone have experience with both reels I mentioned, and which one would be better suited for the tactics I'm using?
Pair with the right rod, Pixy SPR can cast down to 1/16 oz.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:36 pm

knht wrote:
Pair with the right rod, Pixy SPR can cast down to 1/16 oz.
Reel is more important than the rods in BFS fishing. Pixy SPR spool weighs 15 gram stock, and adding 30-40 meters of line is easily going to push it over 20 grams. That is not going to cut it for 1/16 oz.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 pm

I'm in the same boat but I decided to go for the holy grail and ask Ian Shields to build me a custom reel from a new Alphas SV but with a T3 Air spool and other modifications. I think the kidney I sold to pay for it was well worth it though ;)

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:03 am

Jdmbassman wrote:I'm in the same boat but I decided to go for the holy grail and ask Ian Shields to build me a custom reel from a new Alphas SV but with a T3 Air spool and other modifications. I think the kidney I sold to pay for it was well worth it though ;)

Seriously, I couldn't get the idea why people need to put a T3 Air spool into an Alphas with spacers and call it holy grail with all the baitfinesse options available today. It feels ancient to me when there was no aftermarket finesse spool and people trying to put the 31mm dia. Pixy spool into their 34mm dia. Steez and using spacers to close the gaps.......

Now, we have: T3 Air, SS Air (32mm), Megabass Baitfinesse spool for Zonda, Honeycomb spool for Zonda, KTF Alphas finesse custom spool (33mm Alphas), and Megabass Baitfinesse spool for IS, Honeycomb spool for IS (34mm Steez).........still need spacers?

It seems to me that someone wanted to put a T3 Air spool into his Alphas for trying to catch sea bream as the Alphas was better saltwater proof, made a video pitching plastics to freshwater perch and claimed how this reel was better than all the others he used, then someone follow to make the same reel...........Well, to each their own. :-$

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:56 am

kakaryan wrote:
Seriously, I couldn't get the idea why people need to put a T3 Air spool into an Alphas with spacers and call it holy grail with all the baitfinesse options available today.
Apparently it's cool to go through many unnecessary steps. I don't get how you can have a holy grail with a 9 gram spool weight, when KTF Aldebaran spool weighs only 5.8 grams, making the total weight of the spool system anywhere between 7-8...

Edit* It comes out at the weight of 8.44 grams. Pretty ridiculously light :lol:

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:37 am

No question those are excellent reels but for me, you can't beat the reels that Ian tunes and if he says this is best performing BFS, who am I to argue ;) The proof will be in the use, if a novice like me can cast light stuff without backlashes then just imagine what you guys will be able to do with it. I should have a report up in a couple of weeks of how it works out
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:09 am

best setup for what you are describing is a 3000 spinning reel and a medium light, fast action, 7' rod.

or you could spend three times as much on a baitcasting setup, to get worse results.

(but you sure will look cooler :))

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:best setup for what you are describing is a 3000 spinning reel and a medium light, fast action, 7' rod.

or you could spend three times as much on a baitcasting setup, to get worse results.

(but you sure will look cooler :))
Good luck pulling finesse baits out of cover that you can with or casting 1/16 oz stuff with 10 pound fluorocarbon :lol: :lol: . There are plenty of advantage BFS system has over traditional spinning gear that you aren't taking account of.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:55 am

ibobpeb wrote:For over 20 years I've been using 6'6" - 7' light spinning combos to catch river smallmouth in northern wisconsin. The main lures I use are the Rebel Tiny Wee Craw and small Pop-R... and similar lures from other tackle companies. Basically, nothing weighing over 1/8th oz... and doesn't diver deeper than 3 feet.

The Alphas SV 105 seems to be new for 2015, but does new mean better than the old pixys? The price is pretty much the same... my budget for a BFS reel is under $240. Thanks in advance.

p.s. this reel will be going on a Major Craft Volkey BFS rod.
I'm a bfs junky and truthfully I'd say stay with spinning gear if your throwing 1/10oz plugs...