Shimano Jackal poison Ultima - Anyone got one

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Jackal poison Ultima - Anyone got one

Post by the hooligan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:54 pm

Love2Grabbass wrote:
the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:I have the 72H and 70M. The 72H I use only for jigs/plastics, the 70M I use for shallow cranks. They are truly exceptional rods... what I have come to find, I love all the different brands (MB, EG, Jackal Poisons, especially the unknown Luxxe Oltre) for different reasons, they each bring different strengths. At this point though, Im not sure if the Ultimas have any weakness.
How does the luxxe oltre compare with the Ultima and mb rods ? The 6'7 medium caught my attention. Curious about build quality and sensitivity...
Build quality is, perfect. If they are all built to the same standard as mine, you will NOT find a single flaw. Bassm1n picked one up and said his was also perfect. Cant really compare the Oltre to any other rod right now... the titanium tip gives it an entirely different feel, even to the MB rods with titanium in the blank. It is ultra sensitive, almost feels amplified, if that makes sense. Again, an entirely different sensitive to the Ultimas, Kaleidos, and MB rods.
Wow :shock:

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:46 am

maxpowers wrote:
My lineup has a lot of rods in it, so each rod gets a purpose. The 70MH is for chatterbaits/spinnerbaits in my lineup, but honestly I would feel fine throwing almost any bait on it. It would be my goto do it all rod.
I've been debating getting the 70MH for a little while. I have a GLX 783C that I use for Spinners, Chatter, and Swim jigs which I really like don't get me wrong. But I was looking at the Ultima for the same applications, it seems it could really throw anything.

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:59 am

the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:
the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:I have the 72H and 70M. The 72H I use only for jigs/plastics, the 70M I use for shallow cranks. They are truly exceptional rods... what I have come to find, I love all the different brands (MB, EG, Jackal Poisons, especially the unknown Luxxe Oltre) for different reasons, they each bring different strengths. At this point though, Im not sure if the Ultimas have any weakness.
How does the luxxe oltre compare with the Ultima and mb rods ? The 6'7 medium caught my attention. Curious about build quality and sensitivity...
Build quality is, perfect. If they are all built to the same standard as mine, you will NOT find a single flaw. Bassm1n picked one up and said his was also perfect. Cant really compare the Oltre to any other rod right now... the titanium tip gives it an entirely different feel, even to the MB rods with titanium in the blank. It is ultra sensitive, almost feels amplified, if that makes sense. Again, an entirely different sensitive to the Ultimas, Kaleidos, and MB rods.
Make sure you take my comment in context Matt! I dont want to say its more sensitive than the other top guns... because its a whole different feel. But i will say, at a minimum its AS sensitive as the best rods Ive fished ;)

It is a blast to fish, in part because of the unique feel to it. At first I found it very similar to the 72H Ultima, but more time with it and the differences become obvious. Again, I wont say either is better than the other, just different. The actions are similar but the Ultima is slightly faster, while the Oltre is slightly more powerful. The feel when fished is the biggest difference, the Ultima having a more traditional "pure" feel to it while the Oltre has an almost "wild" amped feel to it. Thats the best explanation I have... I talked bassm1n into selling one of his 72H ultimas for an Oltre and he said I was spot on. I would only get rid of one for the other if I had two of the same one.

Oh and I stuck my personal best 11.5 on it with a Gan Craft soft swimbait!
Last edited by Love2Grabbass on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:06 am

Love2Grabbass wrote: It is a blast to fish, in part because of the unique feel to it. At first I found it very similar to the 72H Ultima, but more time with it and the differences become obvious. Again, I wont say either is better than the other, just different. The actions are similar but the Ultima is slightly faster, while the Oltre is slightly more powerful. The feel when fished is the biggest difference, the Ultima having a more traditional "pure" feel to it while the Oltre has an almost "wild" amped feel to it. Thats the best explanation I have... I talked bassm1n into selling one of his 72H ultimas for an Oltre and he said I was spot on. I would only get rid of one for the other if I had two of the same one.
Would you say that Ultima(being mostly carbon) has more of a traditional thunk, but Luxxe Oltre has reverberating feel to every single vibration?

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 am

IAY wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote: It is a blast to fish, in part because of the unique feel to it. At first I found it very similar to the 72H Ultima, but more time with it and the differences become obvious. Again, I wont say either is better than the other, just different. The actions are similar but the Ultima is slightly faster, while the Oltre is slightly more powerful. The feel when fished is the biggest difference, the Ultima having a more traditional "pure" feel to it while the Oltre has an almost "wild" amped feel to it. Thats the best explanation I have... I talked bassm1n into selling one of his 72H ultimas for an Oltre and he said I was spot on. I would only get rid of one for the other if I had two of the same one.
Would you say that Ultima(being mostly carbon) has more of a traditional thunk, but Luxxe Oltre has reverberating feel to every single vibration?
Almost. Its more of an exagerated feel than a reverberation. Similar to the feel of hitting a baseball with an aluminum bat as opposed to a wooden bat.

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:48 am

Hit it dead on. I love the bat reference. In regard to the previous question, I truly feel my 70MH could do anything. I will probably be adding the 70M to my lineup soon enough as well. I'm praying for more being released this year.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:48 am

Love2Grabbass wrote:
the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:
the hooligan wrote:
Make sure you take my comment in context Matt! I dont want to say its more sensitive than the other top guns... because its a whole different feel. But i will say, at a minimum its AS sensitive as the best rods Ive fished ;)

It is a blast to fish, in part because of the unique feel to it. At first I found it very similar to the 72H Ultima, but more time with it and the differences become obvious. Again, I wont say either is better than the other, just different. The actions are similar but the Ultima is slightly faster, while the Oltre is slightly more powerful. The feel when fished is the biggest difference, the Ultima having a more traditional "pure" feel to it while the Oltre has an almost "wild" amped feel to it. Thats the best explanation I have... I talked bassm1n into selling one of his 72H ultimas for an Oltre and he said I was spot on. I would only get rid of one for the other if I had two of the same one.

Oh and I stuck my personal best 11.5 on it with a Gan Craft soft swimbait!
Thanks for the info, that is a beautiful fish !!

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:14 am

What Love2grabass said. Love mine rigged with Metanium.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:18 am

bassm1n wrote:What Love2grabass said. Love mine rigged with Metanium.
How well does it balance with the Metanium? I really want to get another Metanium HG and put in a ZPI or KTF Neo spool.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:23 am

Matches great with met or an antares.

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:27 pm

bassm1n wrote:Matches great with met or an antares.
True. If you're looking for a combo thats overall lighter, then put the Met on it! If you're going to be fishing heavier lures with it, then go Antares...

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:37 pm

How come there isn't any love for the new Steez SV103 ? I thought that SV spool in a Steez body would be great for 1/4 to 1/2oz stuff

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:How come there isn't any love for the new Steez SV103 ? I thought that SV spool in a Steez body would be great for 1/4 to 1/2oz stuff
Because I like Shimano better.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:16 pm

because u cant use slp or aftermarket drag stars :evil:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:20 pm