Shimano Jackal poison Ultima - Anyone got one

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Shimano Jackal poison Ultima - Anyone got one

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Hi all,

I have cut my teeth with Evergreen, Megabass and the NRX rods but now I'm looking for something different. I have my eye on a Luxxe Oltre B67M for my finesse stuff and I am looking at the Shimano Jackal poison Ultima range for something else.

My question to you all, who fishes with a Shimano Jackal poison Ultima ?

What do you use it for and how does it compare to the more common Evergreen, Megabass and the NRX rods.

Cheers

Matthew

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Jackal poison Ultima - Anyone got one

Post by maxpowers » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:00 am

I have two. They are my favorite rods. I would compare them with my c40 Megabass rods and put them up against any other rod I can think of. If I had to pick one and just one rod, the choice would be easy for me. my 70MH Ultima would take the cake.

I am a huge fan of the Poison Glorious (PG) series, but the Ultima takes it to another level. As a someone who fishes a ton of MB it's not easy to say, but my Ultimas are my favorite rods in my lineup right now

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:02 am

maxpowers wrote:I have two. They are my favorite rods. I would compare them with my c40 Megabass rods and put them up against any other rod I can think of. If I had to pick one and just one rod, the choice would be easy for me. my 70MH Ultima would take the cake.

I am a huge fan of the Poison Glorious (PG) series, but the Ultima takes it to another level. As a someone who fishes a ton of MB it's not easy to say, but my Ultimas are my favorite rods in my lineup right now
hate u

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:03 am

^ haha

As most of you know, I have the 6'2L bfs model. Id agree with every max has said. Awesome rods, extremely light and sensitive.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 am

maxpowers wrote:I have two. They are my favorite rods. I would compare them with my c40 Megabass rods and put them up against any other rod I can think of. If I had to pick one and just one rod, the choice would be easy for me. my 70MH Ultima would take the cake.

what do you fish that 70MH Ultima for ?

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:18 am

Jdmbassman wrote:

My lineup has a lot of rods in it, so each rod gets a purpose. The 70MH is for chatterbaits/spinnerbaits in my lineup, but honestly I would feel fine throwing almost any bait on it. It would be my goto do it all rod.

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:06 am

I have the 72H and 70M. The 72H I use only for jigs/plastics, the 70M I use for shallow cranks. They are truly exceptional rods... what I have come to find, I love all the different brands (MB, EG, Jackal Poisons, especially the unknown Luxxe Oltre) for different reasons, they each bring different strengths. At this point though, Im not sure if the Ultimas have any weakness.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 am

I'm hoping they will release more models this winter at Osaka

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:39 am

Max has been trying to talk me into getting a PU for a while now. I'm not sure how much longer I can resist. 8-[ :whistle:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:47 am

Ham Solo wrote:Max has been trying to talk me into getting a PU for a while now. I'm not sure how much longer I can resist. 8-[ :whistle:
Hes doing the same to me right now :lol:

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:24 pm

maxpowers wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:

My lineup has a lot of rods in it, so each rod gets a purpose. The 70MH is for chatterbaits/spinnerbaits in my lineup, but honestly I would feel fine throwing almost any bait on it. It would be my goto do it all rod.
What did you pair up with your 70MH? I've been wanting 70MH but still sold out so far. Planning to take the 2015 conquest hg 101 from my c40 to put it on there and buy a IP series for my mephisto.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Love2Grabbass wrote:I have the 72H and 70M. The 72H I use only for jigs/plastics, the 70M I use for shallow cranks. They are truly exceptional rods... what I have come to find, I love all the different brands (MB, EG, Jackal Poisons, especially the unknown Luxxe Oltre) for different reasons, they each bring different strengths. At this point though, Im not sure if the Ultimas have any weakness.
How does the luxxe oltre compare with the Ultima and mb rods ? The 6'7 medium caught my attention. Curious about build quality and sensitivity...

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:45 am

dinosorcerer wrote:
maxpowers wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:

What did you pair up with your 70MH? I've been wanting 70MH but still sold out so far. Planning to take the 2015 conquest hg 101 from my c40 to put it on there and buy a IP series for my mephisto.

Steez TN

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:55 pm

the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:I have the 72H and 70M. The 72H I use only for jigs/plastics, the 70M I use for shallow cranks. They are truly exceptional rods... what I have come to find, I love all the different brands (MB, EG, Jackal Poisons, especially the unknown Luxxe Oltre) for different reasons, they each bring different strengths. At this point though, Im not sure if the Ultimas have any weakness.
How does the luxxe oltre compare with the Ultima and mb rods ? The 6'7 medium caught my attention. Curious about build quality and sensitivity...
Build quality is, perfect. If they are all built to the same standard as mine, you will NOT find a single flaw. Bassm1n picked one up and said his was also perfect. Cant really compare the Oltre to any other rod right now... the titanium tip gives it an entirely different feel, even to the MB rods with titanium in the blank. It is ultra sensitive, almost feels amplified, if that makes sense. Again, an entirely different sensitive to the Ultimas, Kaleidos, and MB rods.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:27 pm

I will be buying the Luxe Oltre B70H, it seems the must have rod for bottom contact 1/4 to 3/8oz stuff with trailer therefore, I am keen to hear what of the Poison Ultima range could be used for moving baits.

I am keen to get a Poison Ultima to complete my collection, maybe replace the Evergreen Leopard I have for Chatterbaits or even the Evergreen Super Cougar that I use for Cranks. These rods are great for those intended purposes but I am keen to expand the brands in my collection as long as the performance is matched and if bettered, that would be awesome.