Evergreen TKIC-DG69MH Stallion

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen TKIC-DG69MH Stallion

Post by Farnorth » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:28 am

Hi,

I am pretty sure I have seen a couple guys on here say that they have picked up this rod but have never seen a report after they fished it. Anyone willing to share some feedback?

I am mainly interested in what the taper behaves like and your thoughts on how close the lure ratings align with reality when fishing hard baits. Thinking it would be good for 1/2 - 3/4oz jerkbaits, topwaters, spinnerbaits. I prefer a moderate rod for this rather than fast action.

Thanks!

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen TKIC-DG69MH Stallion

Post by drewlesch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:36 am

I'm a big fan. I don't have a ton of experience to rely on so hopefully some others chime in, but I felt comfortable letting go of the TKIC Super Stallion and keeping the Stallion. It's very versatile, but I think it would be great for the techniques you've listed. I really liked it for lipless baits too. I even had the opportunity to swim a jig with it and hook up with enough fish to know that it can fill in for bottom contact too. I've got the big taper diablo and the x7 rekkai and the stallion in my opinion has a bit more power than the big taper diablo and the rekkai is about 1.5 to 2 powers heavier (it's a beast). Again take my limited experience with a grain of salt but I felt the stallion has that highly sought after dual taper, it really feels at home with a 3lber on the end of the line.

For full disclosure I am selling the stallion, because I'm keeping a diablo f5.1/5-68xfti-sb that fell in my lap...

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:58 am

Bassm1n also has the DG stallion... I have the cobra DG, so the the only reason Im commenting is because it shares the "Dense Graphite" blank technology with the DG stallion. Its 6'6" and I bought it for jerkbaits not knowing what the DG stood for. Had I known, i would have bot purchased it for this technique. The taper is pretty moderate and not what I like for jerbaiting, where I prefer a sharper action. The big drawback of the dense graphite though is the lack of sensitivity. The DG does aid in making very long casts however, due to the heavy, spongy behavior of the blank. It is now a topwater rod where it does excell. I would imagine the stallion dg to have similar characteristics and if it does then moving baits are right in its comfort zone.

Again, my experiance is with the cobra and it may fish and behave entirely different from the stallion regardless of having the same blank tech.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:27 pm

Thank you both.

AndZ
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by AndZ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:58 am

You would be mistaking at how sensitive the Cobra DG actually is... One day I managed to overrun the reel with fc line I was using on the Cobra DG66M (I have the Black Series) so I had to switch to another reel that was spooled with braided line (some Spiderwire Ultracast)... while fishing some 1/4 spinnerbaits, something kept tickling my wrist and hand... something like a constant buzzing... I was fishing in 10 to 16 feet of water. Then I realized: when I was letting the spinnerbait fall between retrieves, to get on the bottom or near, I could actually feel the blades of the lure turning/buzzing on the rod, reel seat and my hand, cast after cast. I also own the older Stallion models, the Inspirare Stallion DG & the Super Stallion and so on. The Crossfire Stallion isn't near as sensitive as the Kaleido and the Inspirare rods, even though it's more powerful - read Cal's very, very old review on that... I think it dates back to 2006.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 am

edited by moderator