2016 New Steez?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cheyne_Jones
Angler
Angler

Re: 2016 New Steez?

Post by Cheyne_Jones » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:03 pm

igl00jx wrote:Daiwa, make a baby Z (Z1016) in 4 ratios (5, 6, 7, 8) and call it a day. No TWS please :pray:
I cant think of anything better, strange that the Z wasnt the hit it deserved to be, such good reels.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Cheyne_Jones wrote:
igl00jx wrote:Daiwa, make a baby Z (Z1016) in 4 ratios (5, 6, 7, 8) and call it a day. No TWS please :pray:
I cant think of anything better, strange that the Z wasnt the hit it deserved to be, such good reels.
Price and weight were probably 2 main reasons. Even those clamorimg for a new model now; would most likely be complaining about a $600+ reel.

Cheyne_Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Cheyne_Jones » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:59 am

E73Bass wrote:
Cheyne_Jones wrote:
Price and weight were probably 2 main reasons. Even those clamorimg for a new model now; would most likely be complaining about a $600+ reel.
True, everything is expensive here in Australia so they werent that much more than a Zillion really. I would be happy to drop $600 on a 1016, not that they will ever make one.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:53 am

E73Bass wrote:
Cheyne_Jones wrote:
I cant think of anything better, strange that the Z wasn't the hit it deserved to be, such good reels.
Price and weight were probably 2 main reasons. Even those clamoring for a new model now; would most likely be complaining about a $600+ reel.
Even after adding the SV spool to the new model, the Steez came down from $600 to $400 due to the falling yen. I think Daiwa could realistically make a magnesium- frame 1016Z with all the wish features above and keep it at $500. :-k And a smaller, magnesium frame would make it MUCH lighter, even with the 3D cast control. That Mag 3D assembly can't weigh that much, given that the T3 1016 weighs just over 6 oz.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Cheyne_Jones wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
Cheyne_Jones wrote:
True, everything is expensive here in Australia so they werent that much more than a Zillion really. I would be happy to drop $600 on a 1016, not that they will ever make one.
Yeah, it wasn't a hit because it was a niche reel due to its large 200 size and $600 MSRP. The number of fisherman that are in that specific market segment is tiny. The 100 size segment has the most buyers. Get the price under $450 and you could sell a lot of reels. I don't think the TWing is all that great of a feature. I bet the (Zillion) 103SV will sell better than the Zillion TWS.

DaveJ

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:37 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
Cheyne_Jones wrote:
I cant think of anything better, strange that the Z wasn't the hit it deserved to be, such good reels.
Price and weight were probably 2 main reasons. Even those clamoring for a new model now; would most likely be complaining about a $600+ reel.
Even after adding the SV spool to the new model, the Steez came down from $600 to $400 due to the falling yen. I think Daiwa could realistically make a magnesium- frame 1016Z with all the wish features above and keep it at $500. :-k And a smaller, magnesium frame would make it MUCH lighter, even with the 3D cast control. That Mag 3D assembly can't weigh that much, given that the T3 1016 weighs just over 6 oz.
I know everyone have been asking for a Z1016 since 2010 but I don't think there would be a Z1016 because the T3 1016 is Daiwa's answer. 1016 spool, Mag. 3D, TWS.......what else could Daiwa add to a T3 to make it a better Z1016? No Zaion? T3 Ballistic then. :P Sad but true.

As for a new Steez, I really hope Daiwa wouldn't make anything cheap just like what they did to the new Zillion, a watered down model from a cheap Tatula frame. And MAGNESIUM FRAME PLEASE! But I am afraid. The Steez spinning reels have already been using zaion frames instead of magnesium three years ago.......... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

jmudd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmudd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:23 am

kakaryan wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
Cheyne_Jones wrote:
I know everyone have been asking for a Z1016 since 2010 but I don't think there would be a Z1016 because the T3 1016 is Daiwa's answer. 1016 spool, Mag. 3D, TWS.......what else could Daiwa add to a T3 to make it a better Z1016? No Zaion? T3 Ballistic then. :P Sad but true.

As for a new Steez, I really hope Daiwa wouldn't make anything cheap just like what they did to the new Zillion, a watered down model from a cheap Tatula frame. And MAGNESIUM FRAME PLEASE! But I am afraid. The Steez spinning reels have already been using zaion frames instead of magnesium three years ago.......... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I'm sorry but i do not understand all the hate for the new zillions. These reels cast extremely well, are awesome for skipping and pitching and with some of the deals you can get on these when you search around they are a steal. I think the problem is the fact that they called this reel a zillion. The old model is nothing like this new reel and trying to compare the 2 is a waste of time.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:25 am

There is too much legacy following on the older Daiwa JDMs. People still call older TD-Zs Zillion and Steez better performers than the new stuff that is out there. Are they great? Of course! But they aren't the "best". Lots of folks put their love in the gear over performance metric imo... Only reel I have ever blinged out is my Met 13 with shallow spool, and I love it more than anything I own, but I do understand that there are better performers out there. I think the comfort and ease I get from casting using T-Wing system is a big upgrade over traditional line guide, and I am very excited to see it get implemented in a Steez!

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:22 am

jmudd wrote:
I'm sorry but i do not understand all the hate for the new zillions. These reels cast extremely well, are awesome for skipping and pitching and with some of the deals you can get on these when you search around they are a steal. I think the problem is the fact that they called this reel a zillion. The old model is nothing like this new reel and trying to compare the 2 is a waste of time.
It can go either way. I'm sorry but I do not understand all the love for the new Zillions.
They should have called "The new Zillion" something else. I had suggested the "Tatullion" but no one listened.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:26 am

kakaryan wrote:I know everyone have been asking for a Z1016 since 2010 but I don't think there would be a Z1016 because the T3 1016 is Daiwa's answer. 1016 spool, Mag. 3D, TWS.......what else could Daiwa add to a T3 to make it a better Z1016? No Zaion? T3 Ballistic then. :P Sad but true.
T3 Ballistic is made of Zaion as well.

The Z200 is a strong workhorse type reel with superior performance and refinement.

The T3 is none of those things. (It is a lightweight casting machine though and quite affordable now that it has been discontinued.)

Hopefully Daiwa isn't that stupid.

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:35 am

StarTzar wrote:
jmudd wrote:
It can go either way. I'm sorry but I do not understand all the love for the new Zillions.
They should have called "The new Zillion" something else. I had suggested the "Tatullion" but no one listened.
I don't think many people love or hate it. A reel in that price range that doesn't cause any kind of emotional response is a pretty big failure. You either need to love it because it is amazing, or hate it because you want it and can't afford it.

Proper Naming Scheme:

Fuego = Tatula
Tatula = Tatula Plus
Tatula Type R = Tatula Pro
Zillion TWS = Tatula Type R
Zillion TWS Type R (if it ever exists) = Tatula Limited

Next year when they come out with the 2nd revision... Same names but spell it Ta-2-la

DaveJ

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:26 pm

jmudd wrote: I'm sorry but i do not understand all the hate for the new zillions. These reels cast extremely well, are awesome for skipping and pitching and with some of the deals you can get on these when you search around they are a steal. I think the problem is the fact that they called this reel a zillion. The old model is nothing like this new reel and trying to compare the 2 is a waste of time.
Not hate, but just not interested. No offense to the new Zillion owners. Test-cast a friend's several times and I couldn't find a reason to buy one.

Which are made in Japan? Sorry, the old Zillions. The new ones? Even the 50,000yen Morethan PESV is made in Thailand. Why? I did wanna get one but I just couldn't persuade myself to.

Which cast further? Daiwa said the TWS adds 5% casting distance, and it does. However, they put 34mm spools into the new Zillions instead of the 36mm in the old ones. So they increase the casting distance by going TWS then decrease it by using smaller spools. Isn't it stupid?

Still remember how excited were people when Daiwa first released the Zillion HLC? And how many people are talking about the Tatula HLC when Daiwa launched it this year? Obvious.

Any weight saving of the new one to the old one? No?

I am not a stubborn tackle junkie who only likes his old school stuffs. I highly rate the T3, because they cast great and are light weight. It fills the gap between Steez and Zillion, and is saltwater friendly as well. I don't mind too much that it isn't magnesium frame, because it is never set to be the fragship reel. For Steez, magnesium please. The new tatula based Zillion is just disappointing.

I am glad that I have enough old Zillions and Megabass IP variants to use.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Signs are pointing towards more TWS reels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w61matVDTfE

Evintos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Evintos » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:46 am

Teal101 wrote:Signs are pointing towards more TWS reels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w61matVDTfE

Screenshots from that vid. A lot of them may be Zillions. Could also be Tatula/Zillion frame in Magnesium or zaion. The one that caught my attention below:

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:33 am

I don't think Shimano is going to like it that Daiwa put a TWing into a Metanium and called it the new Steez (or whatever) TWS. :-$

That last picture definitely looks like something new. I tried to get a better screen grab didn't have any luck. It has piqued my interest a bit.

DaveJ