Evergreen HSCS 68MG Ocelot & 611MHG Serval

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Evergreen HSCS 68MG Ocelot & 611MHG Serval

Post by Jdmbassman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:39 am

Happy New Year all,

Does anyone know anything about the Evergreen HSCS 68MG Ocelot or 611MHG Serval ?

I like Brett Hite's idea about glass helping keep the bait in the strike zone that split second longer than non glass rods so I bought the 73HG Leopard as that was what he uses but it seems overkill for the waters I fish. My best experience of this is that a 7lb Northern took a fancy to my Lipless Crank but the Rod is so strong, there was no fight and the fish was quickly muscled into the boat. I was using 20lb Sniper too on a Jdream 6.3 and it didn't seem fair.

I would still use it for Chatterbaits and Lipless Cranks but I am hoping this rod will provide a little more excitement.

I'm looking forward to hearing others thoughts about this rod and yes I will be scaling the line size down a smidge too.

Cheers

Matthew

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen HSCS 68MG Ocelot & 611MHG Serval

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 pm

i know nothing about those rods, but i do believe in slower action rods for fast moving baits. i don't necessarily buy into the "slower rod gives them more time" theory, i believe it's the way in which they hook the fish.

when i started using a moderate action rod for spinnerbaits, my number of fish in the boat increased. i noticed that i wasn't getting fish that could throw the bait because instead of ripping into them, the hook would just pierce them and the barb would hold it in. it was actually harder for me to remove the hook from them. the same thing applied for shakey heads for me. when i tried to do the whole b.a.s.s. hookset i would lose fish. when i just pulled into the hookset, they wouldn't be able to throw the jighead.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:39 am

Would love to hear a review from someone about this rod.Its one I would like to get based on its specs.However, it would be a great leap of faith to drop that much coin on a stick that I'm not even sure how it loads/reacts to a cast or bite or what EG's idea of a med. and med/hvy power glass rod is.
jdmbassman-I strongly think you should get them both and write up a detailed review for TT. :lol:

PS;I noted your interest in these rods when you replied to my post from last year.Its one of those rods that not many people have.Even after Brett Hites success with the 7'3"hvy on chatter baits.
Last edited by jiggerjake on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:44 am

jiggerjake wrote: jdmbassman-I strongly think you should get them both and write up a detailed review for TT. :lol:
And then sell them a week later in the classified section.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 am

spencerinstl wrote:
jiggerjake wrote: jdmbassman-I strongly think you should get them both and write up a detailed review for TT. :lol:
To me!!!!!!!--looking for something like this for 1/4-3/8oz. swim jigs

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

spencerinstl wrote:
Well at least one ;)

I have a Medium (Super Cougar), Medium Heavy (Super Stallion) and Heavy (Leopard) and the ratings are pretty accurate. I think the Serval will be the best for what I have in mind (Chatterbaits). It is tough to buy a 6ft 8" crankbait rod as range comes into play with this technique. I say crankbait because I think based on what I have read that medium would be better suited to open water situations.

Rest assured as soon as I sell the X7 Cyclone Advatage, P3 Nautilus or even the X7 Aaron Martens I have for sale then I think I will take a punt on the Serval. I like the Leopard I have but its just too heavy powered.

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
Well at least one ;)

I have a Medium (Super Cougar), Medium Heavy (Super Stallion) and Heavy (Leopard) and the ratings are pretty accurate. I think the Serval will be the best for what I have in mind (Chatterbaits). It is tough to buy a 6ft 8" crankbait rod as range comes into play with this technique. I say crankbait because I think based on what I have read that medium would be better suited to open water situations.

Rest assured as soon as I sell the X7 Cyclone Advatage, P3 Nautilus or even the X7 Aaron Martens I have for sale then I think I will take a punt on the Serval. I like the Leopard I have but its just too heavy powered.
Awesome,looking forward to a review on this some day.Please report back if/when you get one.I came really close to pulling the trigger on the Leopard (and the Husky Winder)last year.Glad I decided to hold off. After watching some youtube of Brett Hite using it I was afraid it might be too overpowering for what I wanted.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:14 pm

From that same tournament, it looks like Brett Hite used the Serval as his shallow crank rod. He also used the Strike Master 77 for Punching

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
Well at least one ;)

I have a Medium (Super Cougar), Medium Heavy (Super Stallion) and Heavy (Leopard) and the ratings are pretty accurate.
You're selling the SS and the Leo and almost sold the SC.. I think you should just stay away from Evergreen rods in general because the trend says they aren't your type. Just stick with NRX and you'll save more money from reselling.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:06 pm

The Leopard is just too heavy, otherwise it is a great rod. That's just me getting used to my surroundings. The Super Cougar turns out to be the best medium powered crank bait stick that I can find so that's a keeper. So much so, I am even modifying the Daiwa Steez SV103 XSL with Crazy Cranker 4:9:1 fitted gear ratio to perfectly match the color scheme. As for the Super Stallion then it's a great rod that someone will appreciate more than me. I just don't need a rod so versatile. That versatility comes at a cost, it's not the best casting rod.

If the Serval performs the same as the Leopard but with less power then I will be happy. As for throwing my cash away then you only live once and I much prefer to say I tried it than wonder ;)

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:As for the Super Stallion then it's a great rod that someone will appreciate more than me. I just don't need a rod so versatile. That versatility comes at a cost, it's not the best casting rod.
To be honest I think the super stallion casts really well as long as you are fishing baits with sufficient weight. I almost never tie anything onto mine unless it weighs at least a full oz. I mostly fish 1-2 oz swimbaits and spinnerbaits on mine and those seem to load up the rod just perfectly. You may want to hold off until you try out some of the heavier techs. Big bait - big fish. :)

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:58 am

I would recommend the Serval to anyone. It truly is everything I was hoping for. I will be replacing the Super Cougar I have with the Ocelot when I can. While I use the Serval for Chatterbaits and Lipless Cranks, the Ocelot will be used for shallow to mid cranks.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:39 pm

I would ask You a very specific question.

I'm being looking for a chatterbait rod for a long time and finally I choose one ( but still don't buy it ) just because I still doubting about it... That rod is EG The Serval is carbon/glass hybrid rod and some PROS defend this hybrid concept for chatterbait fishing, the problem that I see is weight its too heavy for a 6'10 rod 187gr !!! Now I'm using EG RS LIMITED which is a fantastic rod and very special.

I would like to get the most specific rod for this purpouse... Which rod will You recomend to me??

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:57 pm

Any answer???