Upgrade Mgx or buy JDM BFS?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Upgrade Mgx or buy JDM BFS?

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:14 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Abu-Garcia-Amba ... SwHaBWlMYl . I really like this reel. It has 3 spools extra handles. If I could make one of those spools work in my mgx this would b a no brainer. I seen a guy do it on u tube but I don't know where he got the magnet kit to convert it over. I wonder if I could take the mags out of my stx and just use the centrifugal brake in it than put them in the mgx with the ltx spool.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:14 am

Okay I just watched the video on u tube. It is in Japanese so I can't understand it. But he got the mag kit from zpi. It is for the ltx but he makes it work in a mgx extreme with ltx spool.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:37 am

Can't find the mag kit available anywhere in stock

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 am

Dustys60, If you want a cheaper way to improve MGX light bait performance. You can just upgrade the spool bearings and take 2 of the 4 brake blocks out. MGX has constant ON brakes even when the dial is all the way down it still applies a little brake force. If you remove the brake ring retainer and remove 2 brakes you can have a 2 brake system which will be better for light weights. Just my two cents anyway

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:10 am

Antonese wrote:Dustys60, If you want a cheaper way to improve MGX light bait performance. You can just upgrade the spool bearings and take 2 of the 4 brake blocks out. MGX has constant ON brakes even when the dial is all the way down it still applies a little brake force. If you remove the brake ring retainer and remove 2 brakes you can have a 2 brake system which will be better for light weights. Just my two cents anyway
I may try that. I just thought if I could buy the ltx I posted and use one of the extra spools from it I would have 2 bfs reels. Sorry I am new to this jdm bfs but really interested in it. Don't want to drive everyone crazy just trying to learn all I can.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:15 am

That's the spirit, you'll be a tuning pro in no time ;;;)

slideaction
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slideaction » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:36 am

Dustys60 wrote:Forgive me I am getting a little confused. Is a alderbaran with a after market spool better than the 15 bfs alderbaran. Or can you get a aftermarket spool for the 15 bfs limited.
Sorry to confuse I only mentioned those options as a cheaper alternative that would work at a fairly good price. However if price isn't a factor your options can be widen. The bfs XG and others all do well and as mentioned the rods play a big role as well. The prior posts have given great tips as it really comes down to finding the type of lure and presentation you prefer. Maybe one day we can get one to cast flies, that'll be the challenge. It can be done on a double rig but as a fly itself, it would be interesting to see the technology put into it

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:14 pm

Dustys60 wrote:I guess my question is will the upgraded mgx be as good as the jdm bfs reels?
The answer to me is no. A Revo MGX was my first high end baitcast reel and I upgraded the bearings. I later got a PX-Type R and promptly got rid of the Revo MGX as it felt like a cheap plastic kids toy next to the PX-Type R. It would likely cast and perform just as good as anything with an upgraded spool if that is all you are concerned about. However it doesn't have nearly the refinement of a top quality JDM reel. The Px Type R is just allot more solid, smoother, tighter tolerances, no wiggle anywhere. All the areas of refinement where the Revo MGX is good but slightly lacking the PX Type R is perfection.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

One dude's journey trying different reels / customization to cast lures under 2g (~1/16 oz).

http://asavacustom.com/en/casting-with- ... -shootout/

http://asavacustom.com/en/ultimate-bfs-title/

Some of the reel models are not the latest, but a neat empirical comparison, I thought.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:38 am

saoulons wrote:One dude's journey trying different reels / customization to cast lures under 2g (~1/16 oz).

http://asavacustom.com/en/casting-with- ... -shootout/

http://asavacustom.com/en/ultimate-bfs-title/

Some of the reel models are not the latest, but a neat empirical comparison, I thought.
That is a good read. I have a few questions regarding the alderbarons . on the limited model u can adjust the brake externally? And on the non limited models u have to internally? Also did I see that they come with a little wrench to adjust the spool tension?

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:57 am

I think it's the opposite. On the regular Aldebaran, you have the externally adjustable knob for the SVS Infinity braking system (same brake system as the Metanium). You can adjust the centrifugal pins internally as well and tweak with the outside knob and spool tension knob.

On the limited Aldebaran (2015 model), there is no external adjustment knob besides the spool tension knob (which is on the opposite side of the handle inside the side plate release knob). This reel has 8 pins for the centrifugal brake vs. the typical 6 (I assume for more adjustment options). Don't know what the little wrench is for. Overall, I am not as familiar with this reel so can't really say more than state the basic facts.

Generally speaking, all reels with magnetic braking systems (e.g., Daiwa, LTX) will have an external adjustment knob as will dual braking system reels (e.g., Revo STX). Some of the centrifugal braking system reels do have external knobs (Abu IVCB, some Shimano SVS Infinity) but a lot don't (e.g., some Shimano SVS Infinity). Not sure why some of the Shimano have the same centrifugal braking system but no external adjustment knobs; maybe someone more enlightened can shed some light.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:22 am

Both the 12 bfs xg and 15 limited have no external brake adjustment. The new 16 xg has internal mag adjustment as well as an external dial for fine tuning.

The new bfs xg is gonna kill the two prior platforms in tuning/performance.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:58 am

Do you know what the little wrench is for on the 2015 limited?

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 am

And the new 2016 BFS XG limited will have a magnetic brake (customizable), so will be interesting to see how it performs.

http://japantackle.com/casting-reels/sh ... bfsxg.html

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:40 am

Too bad we have wait till April. Has anyone pre ordered one yet. Are these new reels mag and centrifugal brake systems like a stx revo or just going to b mag. The more I research the more confused I get.