*Suggestions for "enthusiast" finesse/drop shot rod in 2016*

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

*Suggestions for "enthusiast" finesse/drop shot rod in 2016*

Post by Mothercanucker » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:52 pm

I'd like to hear from the aficionados and get opinions/suggestions and preferences on finesse/drop shot rods, either available now or upcoming in 2016. I'm aiming for an*enthusiast* level finesse drop shot rod in 2016 or fall at end of season. I have 7 Shimano Zodias right now. This rod is gonna be my baby. I dropshot 75% of the time and fish for big clear water smallmouth here in Canada. Reel options are Shimano only as I am a Shimano/Jackall fanboy. Stella,Vanquish,Twinpower most likely. I'm trying to avoid the NRX 822S DSR, only reading great things about it for years but I really am not a fan of the styling and finish of the rod. I'm sure it would be up at the top of the list in sensitivity and overall feel but I have my heart set on a StellaFi and it clashes. I'm into the fit, finish and design of a combo. So much so that I would avoid the Stella altogether if it had to be paired with the NRX if it was the best combo on earth... I'd lower to a Twinpower or Vanquish for the aesthetics. (as an example). What is your favorite drop shot rod? Which ones from which brands coming out in 2016 have you drooling? Prefer JDM but I cannot simply disqualify EDGE rods, St-Croix Legend Extreme etc..

Adrena,Glorious, New Destroyer, old Destroyer Evoluzion and kirisame are tops for me right now if I can find any. Ultima or Megabass ARMS if they made one for the application would blow my mind.

So far I'm feeling the Poison Glorious 267ML Dual Sniper tho the taper doesn't seem to be exaclty what I'm looking for.
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/4381

Bantam interesting
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/4380

New Destroyer.
http://jpangler.com/index.php/rod/megab ... 610xs.html

Want to see a higher end finesse from Megabass than that this year...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: *Suggestions for "enthusiast" finesse/drop shot rod in 2

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Have you heard of the gamakatsu luxxe oltre? I beleive they have a titanium tip. They definitely qualify as enthusiast rods

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I'm a dropshot nut and have a lot of the popular DS rods - NRX 822 DSR, Legend XTreme LXS610MLXF, MB Phase 3 A-Mart F3-610XS, MB Orochi X4 A-Mart F3-610X4S, MB Orochi XX Drop Shot and Stinger Shot. And 2 baitcasting ones as well - Steez Megatop, MB Destroyer Kirisame 2015.

For a pure sensitivity perspective, I prefer the NRX. You can currently get it in green at a 25% discount if the blue is turning you off.

From an ergonomics perspective, I like the MB rods the best as I can hold them forward of the reel and I like cork (the ones that were made to Aaron Martens' specs). The Phase 3 is the most powerful of the bunch (although they are all rated the same at F3). But, for some reason, I find myself always going back to the Orochi XX Drop Shot rod. Probably the least "enthusiast" of this bunch but one I find myself going to over and over again. It just feels right and well-balanced in my hand with a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500 and I feel very confident fishing with it. If you were going for looks, see if you can find a JDM version of this rod with the red handle (I actually don't know if they made a JDM version of this specific model), the JDM version looks pretty sweet and would be nice looking with a Stradic Ci4+.

To pair with a Stella, for aesthetics, the Orochi XX would work but, personally, I would go one level up with the X4 or Phase III. I also heard great things about the MB X7 Simoom but I have not tried it.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:02 am

I have a Stella FE on the NRX 822 DSR and the aesthetics, fit, etc. is fantastic. The sensitivity of the NRX is off the charts of course. If you can find the Stella FE model, it looks great with the blue NRX rod.

Have you considered a baitcasting rod for dropshotting? That would certainly open up more of the enthusiast tackle spectrum. A great finesse rod is the MB X7 Super Eiger. You can drop shot, ned rig, small jig, crank, etc. with it. I have one with a Hedgehog Custom and the purple of the reel matches great with the rod (that has a purple ring near the grip).

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:12 am

XX with Sustain and NRX852S with Stella this year. Last year was the Steez AGS and XX. For the $ can't beat the XX but for pure sensitivity and all around spinning rod can't beat the NRX852S. I've had the NRX822S and Legend Extreme before too.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:41 am

cndbasshunter - What was your experience with the Steez AGS compared to the NRX and XX? Sounds like you've moved on to something else this year...

The AGS is the one rod on my "really want to try" list. But, for some reason, as much as I like the pedigree /quality of the Steez rods, I can't seem to really "connect" with them.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:47 am

saoulons wrote:cndbasshunter - What was your experience with the Steez AGS compared to the NRX and XX? Sounds like you've moved on to something else this year...

The AGS is the one rod on my "really want to try" list. But, for some reason, as much as I like the pedigree /quality of the Steez rods, I can't seem to really "connect" with them.
Vs the NRX the AGS is lighter and needs a very light reel to balance like a steez or vanquish. I tried a few reels and the lighter the better as this rod is crazy light. Once you pair wiht a light reel it is very balanced and comfortable, i tried my Stella and it was a no go, the Vanquish was better. NRX is more sensitive no doubt but not by much, i bet wiht braid you wont notice a difference at all. As for durability i bet the nrx will be much better.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:09 am

I have the XX Stinger Shot and only find myself wanting a longer slightly heavier rod for deeper water, probably the NRX. Sensitivity is pretty dang good on the XX and it has landed a lot of smallies for me. It's just VERY soft. The X7 Simoon is another one I want to try.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 am

Teal101 wrote:I have the XX Stinger Shot and only find myself wanting a longer slightly heavier rod for deeper water, probably the NRX. Sensitivity is pretty dang good on the XX and it has landed a lot of smallies for me. It's just VERY soft. The X7 Simoon is another one I want to try.
My buddy uses the Simoon and it's a very nice DS stick. More power than the expect, might be a great option to the NRX852S for more backbone / deep water DS stick.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:32 am

Awesome, thanks on the AGS. Would love to try the X7 Simoon as well, just not sure how it would fit my hand given how I hold my DS rod (slot the reel stem between pinky and ring finger).

The XX is definitely noodly and I tend to do a lazy reel set when hooking a fish (with 6# or 7# fluorocarbon). But I have landed a few 4# and 5# bass on it no problem. The Phase III has a much faster taper and I feel like I can set the hook with the rod a little more aggressively (with 10# braid and an 8# leader).

The OP also mentions the Kirisame. I do fish the Limited and Competition spinning rods. I don''t drop shot with these though - a little too short and I prefer using them for splitshot / weightless plastics where I set the hook laterally. They are also great for skip casting using a spinning rod. Will try the new Kirisame Baitcaster this year (will finally commit to try drop shotting using a baitcaster...).

Love the DS! :P :P :P

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Teal101 wrote:I have the XX Stinger Shot and only find myself wanting a longer slightly heavier rod for deeper water, probably the NRX. Sensitivity is pretty dang good on the XX and it has landed a lot of smallies for me. It's just VERY soft. The X7 Simoon is another one I want to try.
My buddy uses the Simoon and it's a very nice DS stick. More power than the expect, might be a great option to the NRX852S for more backbone / deep water DS stick.
Max has been talking me into one slowly. I do like the extra length of the NRX though. Maybe I'll just get both :lol:

saoulons wrote:Awesome, thanks on the AGS. Would love to try the X7 Simoon as well, just not sure how it would fit my hand given how I hold my DS rod (slot the reel stem between pinky and ring finger).

The XX is definitely noodly and I tend to do a lazy reel set when hooking a fish (with 6# or 7# fluorocarbon). But I have landed a few 4# and 5# bass on it no problem. The Phase III has a much faster taper and I feel like I can set the hook with the rod a little more aggressively (with 10# braid and an 8# leader).

The OP also mentions the Kirisame. I do fish the Limited and Competition spinning rods. I don''t drop shot with these though - a little too short and I prefer using them for splitshot / weightless plastics where I set the hook laterally. They are also great for skip casting using a spinning rod. Will try the new Kirisame Baitcaster this year (will finally commit to try drop shotting using a baitcaster...).

Love the DS! :P :P :P
I just reel back on the fish. I use size #2 Gammy dropshot hooks and they set themselves. A 4lb smallie is a blast on it! I use 5-6lb line on the XX Stinger Shot.

I'm curious about the Kirisame. I was looking at one model for a BFS hardbait stick.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:40 am

MB Hedgehog Evoluzion. I had the XX drop shot rod and wasn't impressed. I preferred my old school shimano crucial over the Orochi XX. One of the most sensitive finesse rods I have fished was the Hyuga 64L. Everyone perceives sensitivity differently, but the Hyuga was amazing in my hands. I sold it though in search of the ultimate dropshot finesse rod. Right now, that rod is the MB hedgehog Evoluzion. Wish I had an NRX to compare it to.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:05 am

Easy, talk to Gary at Tackle Trap, and get yourself the 2015 Hedgehog. I took me a while to get use to the action of the rod, because it was so different from my NRX DSR, but I am really digging it, and the ergonomics and build are top notch.

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:23 am

While I haven't fished the NRX 822. I do own the 852s and the Simoom. I have used both for DS but prefer the 852. My Simoom has become my senko rod and 90%+ it has a wacky rig hook on it. The 852 is normally a DS or SH. Both are great sticks, but I think the NRX is slightly more sensitive.

Both AWESOME sticks!
Matt

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:28 am

My brain hurts. Wish I could try the top 10 before deciding.
What about this?!
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=5039
Last edited by Mothercanucker on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.