Rods from Shimreels?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
alexandboi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rods from Shimreels?

Post by alexandboi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Has any one bought a rod from eBay seller Shimreels? I've been really debating on a rod, but just not sure how their packaging and shipping is. I've bought plenty of rods from Japan, just not any from Vietnam... Any experiences? Thanks guys.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rods from Shimreels?

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:07 pm

I've bought a couple. He packs them good but they take forever to arrive once it's shipped. Something like 2 weeks for one of my rods. I'd rather buy from japan.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:05 pm

They have been good. They ship in those fedex triangular boxes. If you email them your order they offer a 10%discount over their ebay prices. They have a website that you can contact them through. I have bought a few 2 piece major craft rods from them and they turned up fine. They are packed well inside despite the carboard box.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:43 pm

They had my MSX-Limited in three of those triangle shaped FedEx boxes that were taped together and they had a shower curtain rod tied to the rod cover. The shipping got messed up with my order and it took just about a month and a half to arrive. I was shocked that my rod arrived in one piece. I will not buy another rod from Shimreels. I have bought rods from Samurai Tackle, Bass JP and Japan Lure Shop. The packing job that those three Japanese shops did was meticulous and 10,000 times better than what I got from Shimreels.
Last edited by John G on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:57 pm

Never bought a rod from them but did get reels and miscellaneous stuff. They were always professional and there was no hassle. For me, shipping time was no different than other parts of Asia (although Japan can be really fast at times, can get your stuff within a week).

jowo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jowo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:02 pm

Anybody have a link to their website?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:54 pm

John G wrote:They had my MSX-Limited in three of those triangle shaped FedEx boxes that were taped together and they had a shower curtain rod tied to the rod cover. The shipping got messed up with my order and it took just about a month and a half to arrive. I was shocked that my rod arrived in one piece. I will not buy another rod from Shimreels. I have bought rods from Samurai Tackle, Bass JP and Japan Lure Shop. The packing job that those three Japanese shops did was meticulous and 10,000 times better than what I got from Shimreels.
Yep I wouldn't buy a rod from them again either, unless absolutely necessary.

alexandboi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alexandboi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Rod I was looking at was a X7 Super Elseil. I couldn't find it anywhere else since its out of production. I guess I'll pass on it for now. Unless anyone knows somewhere else I can pick one up?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:32 am

I would pass. I haven't had great luck with these guys. Shipping is super slow (7-8 weeks)!! And have had situations where you order, then a day later they tell you it's not in stock.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:02 am

alexandboi wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Rod I was looking at was a X7 Super Elseil. I couldn't find it anywhere else since its out of production. I guess I'll pass on it for now. Unless anyone knows somewhere else I can pick one up?
If you really want the rod and it can't be found anywhere else go ahead and order if you don't mind waiting a long time for it to arrive.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:40 am

Bootytrain wrote: If you really want the rod and it can't be found anywhere else go ahead and order if you don't mind waiting a long time for it to arrive.
Did you get the PM's that I have sent you here and at BR?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:21 am

John G wrote:
Bootytrain wrote: If you really want the rod and it can't be found anywhere else go ahead and order if you don't mind waiting a long time for it to arrive.
Did you get the PM's that I have sent you here and at BR?
Sent you a PM :D

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:28 am

I've never bought a rod but have bought tons of hardbaits and terminal tackle. Shipping is soooo slow, but that's ok with me, as I know that going into it. Like the above poster said email them your order and you get 10% off. But after hearing the reviews I'd hold off. I've had packages come from Germany, Vietnam, etc.

Check BBC and the forum here.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:49 am

Guess I'll be the odd man out here....Reckon Ive had to buy rods from them on at least ten occasions, and haven't had any problems. I agree with others here in that I do not like how they ship rods- they use the cardboard triangular tubes, but their little strange curtain rod trick inside of the package seems to actually work, as I have never had anything come from them damaged.usually shipping with them does take a week and a half, maybe two weeks...not a big deal tho IMO.I say go for it, and hell, if something happens, file a Paypal claim (obviously use Pp to purchase)....they do have a number of rods that no one else has, so if you want it, some times they are the only game in town.I will continue to shop with them, although I do wish they'd step up to PVC....

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:21 pm

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Guess I'll be the odd man out here....Reckon Ive had to buy rods from them on at least ten occasions, and haven't had any problems. I agree with others here in that I do not like how they ship rods- they use the cardboard triangular tubes, but their little strange curtain rod trick inside of the package seems to actually work, as I have never had anything come from them damaged.usually shipping with them does take a week and a half, maybe two weeks...not a big deal tho IMO.I say go for it, and hell, if something happens, file a Paypal claim (obviously use Pp to purchase)....they do have a number of rods that no one else has, so if you want it, some times they are the only game in town.I will continue to shop with them, although I do wish they'd step up to PVC....
X2

After all of the bad things that I said about them, if they had a rod that I wanted and no one else had it, the enthusiast in me would buy it. My MSX-Limited did arrive in one piece and after checking it over, I'll admit that I was one happy dude.