F power rating among megabass rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
HelloFish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

F power rating among megabass rods

Post by HelloFish » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:02 pm

I tried out a XX F5 Spinnerbait Special a while back, and when I used it for jigs and frogging/spook in and around moderate cover, I found the power slightly lacking for my preference. I was using 1/2 oz jigs with 1/2-3/4 oz frogs/spooks.

Right now Im looking at slightly higher power rods, the X7 F5.5 Diablo Fastmove, X7 F6 Super Rekkai, XX F6 Tour Versatile, and XX F6.5 Jig & Worm

They all have pretty much identical specs mainly lure/line rating and taper, but the power rating are different, so I expect them to fish different. The X7 F6 Super Rekkai, while being 6'8", has the same lure rating as a XX F6.5 Jig & Worm, which is 7'. From this, Im assuming that JDM F rating are slightly more powerful than USDM ones, which leads me to believe that the XX F6 Tour Versaitle is going to fish exactly like a X7 F5.5 Diablo Fastmove.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Which of these rods are good for jigs and topwater in and around moderate cover? I fish the topwaters a lot more than the jigs, so am leaning towards the med-fast taper of these rods. Im assuming any of the megabass rods would have enoguh sensitivity to detect bites on a jigs.

DirtydeucegooseUSMC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: F power rating among megabass rods

Post by DirtydeucegooseUSMC » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:45 pm

In my limited but growing experience with Megabass I wouldn't use any of the rods listed as a topwater rod. I fish the spinnerbait special as well as the tour versatile and while they can both handle jigs fine, unless it's a heavier topwater, I would stick to a lower power rating. Right now, though still not ideal to me, my flat side special is a triple threat for me with squarebills, jerkbaits and topwater.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:31 pm

MB rod ratings are really hard to compare across lines (a F5 in XX will be very different than a F5 in X7).

Within the same line though, they are mostly comparable.

I own the XX Tour Versatile and really like that rod. It is a bit too parabolic for me for topwater (I prefer a fast or xfast rod for this purpose), but it has some good shoulders. I mainly use it around lighter cover with jigs and the occasional frog. For me, it is an all-purpose braided line rod; the taper is a bit more forgiving on the hookset.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:05 pm

I was considering the new destroyer F6-67 as a heavier powered top water rod (I fish for pike). It is a jig rod according to Megabass but has a "regular" taper for a little more forgiveness on a hard strike. I don't think anyone has handled these yet but maybe it's one more for you to think about.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:50 pm

If you are looking for one to do both LARGE topwater and jigs very well, then the diablo fastmove F5.5-70X7 is definitely the way to go. This rod has a faster action than the XX tour versatile which i sold, which lends itself to perform better with jig and worm fishing. I have also had lots of success using it for big squarebills and spinnerbaits around cover. The F5.5 rating on the DFM is deceiving IMO, as it feels stronger than that on the water - more like a F6 or F6.5 power.

The X7 DFM is one of my favorite rods mainly because of its versatility, and sensitivity is also impressive, especially with braided line.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:04 am

Megabass x7 Diablo fast move. Feels great in hand with lots of power. More like a Heavy F6-F6.5. Compares to the XX jig and worm but lighter and more balanced. One thing that is disappointing is no Dragon on blank... Haha

HelloFish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by HelloFish » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 am

Farnorth wrote:I was considering the new destroyer F6-67 as a heavier powered top water rod (I fish for pike). It is a jig rod according to Megabass but has a "regular" taper for a little more forgiveness on a hard strike. I don't think anyone has handled these yet but maybe it's one more for you to think about.
I do fish for pike quite a bit as well. I just went and looked at the new 2016 Destroyers line, and I think their F6 6'9" Super Destroyer seems like a good choice for me as well.
jpmoney wrote:If you are looking for one to do both LARGE topwater and jigs very well, then the diablo fastmove F5.5-70X7 is definitely the way to go. This rod has a faster action than the XX tour versatile which i sold, which lends itself to perform better with jig and worm fishing. The F5.5 rating on the DFM is deceiving IMO, as it feels stronger than that on the water - more like a F6 or F6.5 power.
Is the tip of Tour Versatile more flexible than the DFM? Also, which would you say is more powerful, TV or DFM?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:25 am

HelloFish wrote:
Farnorth wrote:I was considering the new destroyer F6-67 as a heavier powered top water rod (I fish for pike). It is a jig rod according to Megabass but has a "regular" taper for a little more forgiveness on a hard strike. I don't think anyone has handled these yet but maybe it's one more for you to think about.
I do fish for pike quite a bit as well. I just went and looked at the new 2016 Destroyers line, and I think their F6 6'9" Super Destroyer seems like a good choice for me as well.
jpmoney wrote:If you are looking for one to do both LARGE topwater and jigs very well, then the diablo fastmove F5.5-70X7 is definitely the way to go. This rod has a faster action than the XX tour versatile which i sold, which lends itself to perform better with jig and worm fishing. The F5.5 rating on the DFM is deceiving IMO, as it feels stronger than that on the water - more like a F6 or F6.5 power.
Is the tip of Tour Versatile more flexible than the DFM? Also, which would you say is more powerful, TV or DFM?
I would say power at the tip is about the same but once loaded the XX tour versatile has a more parabolic bend, the DFM seems faster to me. Overall backbone between the two is about equal but some might equate a slower taper to having less power as on the XX TV. The X7 DFM is lighter as well - in my hands it just feels better and looks a lot better too. I feel the DFM can do everything the XX TV can but also can do a better job with bottom contact work.