Anyone have the new MET MGL in yet?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cfrench085
Angler
Angler

Re: Anyone have the new MET MGL in yet?

Post by Cfrench085 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:38 pm

I don't have a 13 metanium but I do have an mgl.
The mgl easily outcasts a ci4 chronarch. I haven't measured but with a 6'6" rod and 12 lb fluoro using a xcaliber xr50 I'm getting around 40-50 yards. Haven't tried any light stuff yet but I like it for my purposes. I think it's a better option than an aldebaran as most rods will balance better with just that little extra weight. Awesome reel.

shimanogloomis man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimanogloomis man » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Just got mine yesterday from jpangler, reel feels smooth actually to me slightly more then my metaium13s. I have a tournament next weekend I'll report back then !

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:48 am

Bootytrain wrote:Ok just got delivered... And WOW... The new paint is gorgeous
When I first saw pics, I thought "meh, another silver reel".
But looking at various YouTube videos, man it's beautiful. Like a...soft iridescent+pearl silver.
Gorgeous reel =D>

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:58 am

spookybaits wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Ok just got delivered... And WOW... The new paint is gorgeous
When I first saw pics, I thought "meh, another silver reel".
But looking at various YouTube videos, man it's beautiful. Like a...soft iridescent+pearl silver.
Gorgeous reel =D>
I posted more pics in the shimano thread, it's very shiny lol... then paint will reflect the smallest amount of light making it almost glow in the dark.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:03 am

Cfrench085 wrote:I don't have a 13 metanium but I do have an mgl.
The mgl easily outcasts a ci4 chronarch. I haven't measured but with a 6'6" rod and 12 lb fluoro using a xcaliber xr50 I'm getting around 40-50 yards. Haven't tried any light stuff yet but I like it for my purposes. I think it's a better option than an aldebaran as most rods will balance better with just that little extra weight. Awesome reel.
What brake setting are you using?

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:28 am

Is it the exact same body as the 13? Looks identical save for the paint and a few other things.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:43 am

stingray23 wrote:Is it the exact same body as the 13? Looks identical save for the paint and a few other things.
Same body, new spool, brakes, knobs, and paint

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:55 am

Bootytrain wrote:
stingray23 wrote:Is it the exact same body as the 13? Looks identical save for the paint and a few other things.
Same body, new spool, brakes, knobs, and paint

Thanks

Cfrench085
Angler
Angler

Post by Cfrench085 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Cfrench085 wrote:I don't have a 13 metanium but I do have an mgl.
What brake setting are you using?
I'm using all 4 and about 3.5 on the wheel. Most reels I use 2 and have the cast control tension to the point of the spool not flopping back and forth. I tried 2 brakes and up to 6 on the wheel but still got minor fluff. There is more there if you want to chase it. For me, I can turn all brakes on and adjust the wheel for the beginning of the cast fluff and the cast control for the end. The distance I'm talking about is controlled with minimal thumbing. It's a bad dude.
If I had one complaint I wish the handle was just a little longer. It's not overly short, just a preference. I'm also still adjusting the the low slung gearbox of this whole series of reels and a lot of modern reels in general. It's not wrong, just different.
I think the lighter spool will help with lighter baits but still haven't done that. I bought it as more of a general purpose reel to replace my aging favorites.

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 pm

If the lefties were out, I would probably pick one out. I am real interested in how it would compare to my '13 met with it's Microcast shallow spool.

Cfrench085
Angler
Angler

Post by Cfrench085 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:32 am

Test 2. Senko

Met mgl 6
Loomis mbr 783(6'6")
Seagar invizex 12
Owner 2/0 wgp hook
Custom senko (4.8")

50-55 cranks to wind in.
Retrieve is 26" pt but less out on the end of a cast with the smaller spool diameter. Works out to around 36 yards at 26". I'd have guessed 35 or so but it gives some confidence having somewhat of a measure.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:52 am

I can't find your other thread. Could you post a link?
Thanks.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:07 pm

I got a couple of hours on the MGL this weekend and thankfully the spool is much more controllable than the curado 70 spool. I started with 4 brakes on and 6 on the dial(I realized that Shimano had all the brakes activated from the factory for a reason). I threw an LC Pointer 78, the new Shadow Rap Shad shallow, and a small swimbait with a 1/8th oz head. All around 3/8ths oz. I was able to get down to 2 brakes and about 4 on the dial and get some good distance with little effort in the cast. Going down in steps from the dial in increments of 1 I could see at least 5 feet added to each cast the lower i went. I was hitting 35 yards easy with more to spare but where I was fishing I couldnt really get a good swing. The usual smoothness and power was there. Unfortunately I didnt bring my 13 to compare because I was set on figuring out the Curado. I think once the MGL loosens up after a couple of trips its going to get even better.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:32 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I got a couple of hours on the MGL this weekend and thankfully the spool is much more controllable than the curado 70 spool. I started with 4 brakes on and 6 on the dial(I realized that Shimano had all the brakes activated from the factory for a reason). I threw an LC Pointer 78, the new Shadow Rap Shad shallow, and a small swimbait with a 1/8th oz head. All around 3/8ths oz. I was able to get down to 2 brakes and about 4 on the dial and get some good distance with little effort in the cast. Going down in steps from the dial in increments of 1 I could see at least 5 feet added to each cast the lower i went. I was hitting 35 yards easy with more to spare but where I was fishing I couldnt really get a good swing. The usual smoothness and power was there. Unfortunately I didnt bring my 13 to compare because I was set on figuring out the Curado. I think once the MGL loosens up after a couple of trips its going to get even better.
Thanks man. Let us know if you get that extra 20% :lol:

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I got a couple of hours on the MGL this weekend and thankfully the spool is much more controllable than the curado 70 spool. I started with 4 brakes on and 6 on the dial(I realized that Shimano had all the brakes activated from the factory for a reason). I threw an LC Pointer 78, the new Shadow Rap Shad shallow, and a small swimbait with a 1/8th oz head. All around 3/8ths oz. I was able to get down to 2 brakes and about 4 on the dial and get some good distance with little effort in the cast. Going down in steps from the dial in increments of 1 I could see at least 5 feet added to each cast the lower i went. I was hitting 35 yards easy with more to spare but where I was fishing I couldnt really get a good swing. The usual smoothness and power was there. Unfortunately I didnt bring my 13 to compare because I was set on figuring out the Curado. I think once the MGL loosens up after a couple of trips its going to get even better.
I take it that somehow the braking system has changed? Starting with all the brakes On does not sound as normal shimano.
35 yards is good distance. this weekend I actually measured casting distance at right around 35 paces give or take. I'm sure a downwind casts with a dense bait might produce more rods but this is not real world examples.