Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile

Post by jpmoney » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:12 am

I'm interested in picking up a MB black jungle power versatile rod. I am wondering if those who have this rod can comment on it's strengths - where does it really shine? I currently have an NRX 895C that I use for heavy cover jigging, and although it's a great sensitive and powerful rod, I am looking to get something to replace it, that I can double with throwing small swimbaits, big spinnerbaits and even frogs. Does the PV do well with 3/4oz jigs in heavy cover or should i leave this task up to the NRX 895C?

Rather than keeping both rods, I am looking to sell the 895C, but that all depends on whether or not the MB PV will fill the bottom contact/heavy jigs void.

How do these 2 rods compare in backbone and overall power? As for taper, I already know the NRX will be faster than the MB PV.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile

Post by Teal101 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:43 am

Everything you mentioned is in the BJ PV's wheelhouse. I've used it for 1/2oz+ footballs, 3/4oz+ punching jigs, 3/8oz flippin jigs, 6" Hudds, Spro BBZ's, Mattlures hard and soft gills, 3:16 wakes, TT Gills, various paddletails with belly weighted hooks, underspins, big spinner baits, etc. The only thing I have yet to do is frog with it mainly because I use fluoro on mine. John G I believe frogs with his a ton on Guntersville and loves it. I fish it from sparse to heavy cover. When you look up the definition of versatile in the dictionary it should just be a picture of this rod. :lol:

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:36 am

Teal101 wrote:Everything you mentioned is in the BJ PV's wheelhouse. I've used it for 1/2oz+ footballs, 3/4oz+ punching jigs, 3/8oz flippin jigs, 6" Hudds, Spro BBZ's, Mattlures hard and soft gills, 3:16 wakes, TT Gills, various paddletails with belly weighted hooks, underspins, big spinner baits, etc. The only thing I have yet to do is frog with it mainly because I use fluoro on mine. John G I believe frogs with his a ton on Guntersville and loves it. I fish it from sparse to heavy cover. When you look up the definition of versatile in the dictionary it should just be a picture of this rod. :lol:
Yes frogs on Guntersville.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:11 am

1/2 oz poppers to 2-1/2 oz swimbaits, full handle, all dbl foot guides, good balance. Swiss Army Rod.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:12 pm

It's not as sensitive as the NRX in my hands, there's an easily noticeable difference in that regard. I do agree that the Power Versatile is an incredibly versatile rod, but I rarely fish any bottom contact baits as it's so good with moving baits (and frogs!). There's no doubt the PV will handle your heavy cover jig fishing, and it's sensitive enough not to miss bites. The PV has a much slower taper, and clearly has more power though deeper into the blank than the NRX 895.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for all the insightful replies guys. Looks like I am going to need both rods on deck, thats the spirit of TT right ? :lol:

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:49 am

jpmoney wrote:Thanks for all the insightful replies guys. Looks like I am going to need both rods on deck, thats the spirit of TT right ? :lol:
You got that right, that's what I did. :D

SwissFishingDude
Angler
Angler

Post by SwissFishingDude » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:30 am

what about cranking presentations, is the PV capable of that aswell?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:56 pm

SwissFishingDude wrote:what about cranking presentations, is the PV capable of that aswell?
Handle may be a little short for throwing really big baits like 10 XB, but it's do able. For a versatile rod handle is just right for me.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:44 pm

BigG wrote:
SwissFishingDude wrote:what about cranking presentations, is the PV capable of that aswell?
Handle may be a little short for throwing really big baits like 10 XB, but it's do able. For a versatile rod handle is just right for me.
I throw mag cranks on the Power Versatile regularly and it handles them very well - they're just another big treble bait which is in the zone for the PV. The blank is incredible for tossing a 10XD, though I agree with Dan, the handle is shorter than I'd prefer for that technique.

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:12 am

The rod is amazing, I use it for a ton of techniques. From big Grenades to I slides and more.

SneakySnook
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SneakySnook » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:23 am

Great rod and very versatile. I throw weightless skinny dippers on mine and swim jigs.