Steez spool options

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez spool options

Post by IAY » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:54 am

Teal101 wrote:
cuke wrote:Leaning towards getting one of the shallower spools because when do you need 100 yds of line bass fishing but how much line is enough that the knot isn't a problem
I straight filled the SV105 with 12lb and fished all season without seeing the knot.
You are better off using tape to hold the line instead of a knot in shallow spool. It interferes too much with the way the line lay for my taste.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:05 am

IAY wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
cuke wrote:Leaning towards getting one of the shallower spools because when do you need 100 yds of line bass fishing but how much line is enough that the knot isn't a problem
I straight filled the SV105 with 12lb and fished all season without seeing the knot.
You are better off using tape to hold the line instead of a knot in shallow spool. It interferes too much with the way the line lay for my taste.
I never got down to the knot so it was moot. The knots small enough it only affected the first two lays or so. On a spool shallower than the SV105 I could see that being the case.

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:42 am

Sounds like a deal with the tape but have you ever cast all the line off ? The 105 seems to hold double the line than the IS finesse. Just wondering if you can you hide the knot in one of the holes in a honeycomb spool.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:48 am

cuke wrote:Sounds like a deal with the tape but have you ever cast all the line off ? The 105 seems to hold double the line than the IS finesse. Just wondering if you can you hide the knot in one of the holes in a honeycomb spool.
SV105 and IS Honeycomb is more for general use while IS baitfinesse is specifically for lures 1/8 oz and under. You could tie the line through the hole on the supporting bar to fully hide it, but I just use tape for convenience. You are not going to cast too far unless you use some really thin braid, but that defeats the purpose of finesse spool to me, I would rather use spinning gear.

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:49 am

Just curious how you tape the line on the spool do you wrap it around a few times or just tape the end of the line

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Got to play with the is finesse yesterday and that thing is sweet was pitching with a 1/8 ounce drop shot weight inside a tube with 10 pound floro taped onto the spool

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:21 pm

cuke wrote:Just curious how you tape the line on the spool do you wrap it around a few times or just tape the end of the line
Just tape at end of the line. You don't cast very far with finesse spool unless you get some thin braid, but that defeats the purpose of BFS for me, because you have to run it with loose drag.

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:16 pm

Tried pitching with an is finesse spool with a 1/16 ounce jig with a shad shape worm and some 10lb floro taped on and it goes pretty good about 45 ft but you're right that it does not cast far. iay you said you loosen the drag is that because of the braid or the finesse spool?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:52 am

cuke wrote:Tried pitching with an is finesse spool with a 1/16 ounce jig with a shad shape worm and some 10lb floro taped on and it goes pretty good about 45 ft but you're right that it does not cast far. iay you said you loosen the drag is that because of the braid or the finesse spool?
You don't have to worry about it as much on fluorocarbon, but you should for braid. Finesse spools, especially ported ones have ultra thin wall, so there are cases where braid completed crushed them.