must have megabass rods?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: must have megabass rods?

Post by j2015 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:35 am

Phase 3 Bearing Down is the only Megabass rod model that I have brought twice.. It needs the correct reel mounted on it to unleash it potential, steez svtw seems to be the ticket, it is a must have for me.

Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Team Bass » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:25 pm

Jdmbiggie wrote:
Thu May 05, 2016 4:06 pm
with so many experts please let me know which rod is best for topwater, shallow crank and jerk? and a all around rod as well. thanks in advance
The Megabass Destroyer Eliminator is killer for all of those including Ned rig and some drop shot if you choose.

Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Team Bass » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:41 pm

My must have rods so far are the Megabass Destroyer Warhammer and The Destroyer Eliminator. The Warhammer is just awsome. Still working on my lineup.

Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Team Bass » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:01 am
Jdmbassman wrote:
Teal101 wrote: I replaced my 893c with the X7 EM
What were you using the NRX893 for and what do you like about the X7 EM more ?
Was my dedicated 3/8oz jig rod. The X7 has a stiffer tip which i prefer. I just didnt like how soft the 893 tip was. X7 looks better as well, doesnt have recoils, and i dont feel i lost any sensitivity.
I have used three Nrx rods two of which I purchased. The 916 Nrx for punching the 804 and I have seen the 893 in action. I agree 100% those tips were definitely not for me.

theo
Angler
Angler

Post by theo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 pm

For me Hedgehog Evolution (original), Amart F3-610DGS, and the original Evoluzion Red Demon, not sure if you meant 'must have' rods in terms of readily available, but those are just some in my collection that I'd never part with.

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm

X7 Extreme Mission

Kirisame Prime Stinger

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:55 pm

I don't know what I'm doing but I have some old, oldish and newer MB sticks.

My classics are:

F1.5 Destroyer Evolution Espada
F7 711X Destroyer Fast Shootin Special
F8 78DG Destroyer Orochi Super Destruction

No idea what phase these are. They all look like they are from the same generation but slightly different lines of the Destroyer. I'm thinking they are all phase 2 rods? I've only briefly fished the Espada and dont even have the 711X here yet.

My oldish rods are:

F5 75 EMTF Orochi xx JDM
F 772 Perfect Pitch Orochi xx
FX 711 Orochi X4

My new rods are
Levante JBS
Valkaryie 76XXH

For some reason I like the old Destoyers. As tools my newer rods even non MB seem better from a functional standpoint along as they hit the mark in taper but these old Destroyers have a certain appeal and exclusivity to them that I can't explain.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:09 pm

This is a great thread. Such an interesting read. Glad it was bumped back to the top of the board.

Without a doubt my favorite MB rod is the Phase 3 Nautilus. Such a unique, versatile, sensitive rod. Seems like no matter what I fish with it the rod handles it very well!! :D

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:24 pm

My current favorite MB rod is the Javelin.
So much so that I could not resist and bought two more since the prices were so good :D

A few more "multiples":
F8-78DG Super Destruction 78XX; one to fish and one rod "shelf queen"
F4.5-610XDTI Elseil: one to fish and one rod "shelf queen"
F7-69DG Mephisto Slant Bridge: one to fish and one for sale that I am reconsidering.

These are "on deck" for every tournament trip:
Valkyrie VKC71H
Destroyer Black Jungle F5-71XBJ "Deep Cranking Slow Rolling"
F6-72X4 Orochi X4 Destruction

Then there are the other rod "shelf queens", which include several slant bridge models and some other 'classics'.

Since my first MB rods in 2008, I have only sold one, the Valkyrie VKC72H last week. Purchased both Valkyrie rods at the same time and kept the 71H because of slightly lighter weight (hand/wrist issues) and preferred the rod's spiral wrap.

Regards,
Doc

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:39 am

DrPerf wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:24 pm
So much so that I could not resist and bought two more since the prices were so good :D

Regards,
Doc

Funny that you mention the Javelin. I remember researching a couple of years ago about which MB rod was most similar to my Nautilus mentioned above. The consensus was that it was the Javelin! I was going to pick up a Javelin, but ultimately found another Nautilus to buy…….like you, I now have three of them! :D

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:39 am

Tigerbass wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:39 am
DrPerf wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Regards,
Doc

Funny that you mention the Javelin. I remember researching a couple of years ago about which MB rod was most similar to my Nautilus mentioned above. The consensus was that it was the Javelin! I was going to pick up a Javelin, but ultimately found another Nautilus to buy…….like you, I now have three of them! :D

Since discovering Designo rods I use them more than Megabass so it does reveal which are more "must have" to me. I still use the P7 Super Eiger and the other two are the Javelin and the Nautilus. They are phenomenal do everything "the one" type MH rods. In my hands the Nautilus has a bit more muscle and sensitivity which makes it a bit better for bottom contact jig and worm fishing. The slightly more moderate and softer nature of the Javelin makes it my go to rod for single hook moving baits or bigger moving baits with larger treble hooks. To me its the perfect chatterbait rod for how I fish. But both are very similar and interchangeable.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:55 pm

Outstanding post and replies :lol:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:55 pm

8-) correction

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm

I don't have any top tier moving bait rods like a spinnerbait, chatterbait or squarebill rod. What MB sticks that are must have should I be keeping an eye out for? Also would prefer them to be older rods. The newest MB sticks just don't do it for me at the moment.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm

Friends, I'm resurrecting this thread as it's one of my favorites, and did some rabbit hole type of research. Here is the breakdown of the rods by the number of times mentioned. I'll just list the "All-Stars" So this post isn't three pages long. Also, this seems to have cut off around the time the USA Destroyers and Valkyrie were coming out. So lots of models are missing from the discussion. Would you pit any of the P5s, New USA Destroyers, Cookai, maybe in the summer, the X10s have a winner or two? I'll just say I'd add the Windbuster to the list of must-haves. (Reel seat didn't bother me) So without further ado, here's the Megabass Hall of Fame.

Number of mentions:
11 - X7 Super Eiger
10 - P3 Nautilus
9- Black Jungle Power Versatile, X4 Destruction
6 - P3 Bearing Down, X7 Diablo Fast Move, X7 EMTF, Black Jungle Super Red Demon, Evol C40 Mephisto,
5 - Evoluzion Jabberwock Slant Bridge
4 - Evoluzion Diablo Slant Bridge XFTi, X4 Black Elsiel, USA Destroyer FMJ,
3 - P3 Griffon, P3 Amart Spin, P3 Eiger Northwall, X7 Destruction, X7 Simoon, X7 Super Rekkai, X4 Rattle Viper Tech Game, X4 Cyclone, Evoluzion White Python Slant Bridge, Evoluzion Mephisto Slant Bridge, USA Destroyer Javelin, Carbonhead Hein, Super Destruction Slant Bridge
2 - P3 Super Bandersnatch, X4 Rattle Viper Type F, X7 Super Criffhanger, X7 Western Flip, BJ Deep Crank Slow Roll, Evoluzion Hedgehog, Evoluzion Espada, The Gambler, Original Destroyer 711.

And a whole bunch of others were mentioned only once. What say you friends? Time to induct a few more models into the must-haves.