must have megabass rods?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: must have megabass rods?

Post by Westbankcougar » Wed May 04, 2016 6:47 pm

i see a few that have shown up repeatedly, which it what i was hoping. i appreciate everyone's input.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 pm

I mainly finesse fish, ive used the x7 super criffhanger, x7 super eiger, pIII eiger northwall, and pIII criffhanger. I highly recommend any of those 8-)

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ham Solo » Wed May 04, 2016 11:42 pm

I only saw one mention of the X7 Diablo Fast Move. Here is the 2nd. :big grin:

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Thu May 05, 2016 12:29 am

This is a great thread and it goes to show how many different MB rods people use and love.

In the end, they are all top notch engineering and have different personalities; some are more specialized than others. With the right investment to get to know each rod, one can learn to really appreciate them and find the right application (and it does take time on the water to tame them). It is amazing to me how consistent the quality / experience has been between Phase III, X4, X7 and XX series. I don't have much experience with the Black Jungle and Evolution lines (yet). They all have their own idiosyncrasies but I'd take any rod from any of these lineups in a heartbeat and have a blast fishing it.

The question for you, West Bank Cougar (btw, are you a 40-something woman living in Jerusalem?? :lol:) is: Where are you gonna start???

I know you didn't ask, but if I were you, I would start with an Orochi XX and a Phase III. This is how I started about 2 years ago - with the Orochi XX Tour Versatile, XX Drop Shot and the Phase III Bearing Down. And before you know it, you'll have 10+ MB rods from all series in your arsenal :shock:

Keep us updated on your choices, always exciting to see a fellow enthusiast take the MB plunge... And you can always count on the TT crowd for enablement 8-)

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu May 05, 2016 12:45 am

How about top few from different seres... there are other awesome sticks in each series, but some of my favorites are:

X7 - Super Eiger, Super Elseil, Diablo Fast Move,The Destruction, and the Simoom is an amazing spinning rod!
Phase III - Nautilus, Aaron Martens LTD (spinning), Bearing Down, Eiger Northwall
X4 - Destruction, Black Elseil, Rattle Viper Type F, Rattle Viper Technical Game
Black Jungle - Super Red Demon, Power Versatile, Deep Crank Slow Roll
XX - Diablo Spec R, Perfect Pitch, Extreme Mission Type F

And in true Tackle Tour form, everyone should own at least one ARMS rod. I'd vote for the Super Leggera series! The 7206X is one incredible piece of work.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... _1841_1747

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Thu May 05, 2016 1:02 am

C40 - One Ten Evoluzion, Spin Elseil, Griffon
Phase 3 - Nautilus
Slant Bridge Diablo
X7 - Simoom

Those are my favorites of the MB rods in my lineup

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 am

Honestly, every time I look through my arsenal and am deciding on cutting some, the Megabass sticks always seem to stick around consistently.

X7 The Destruction, Extreme Mission, & Western Flip
P3 Nautilus, Super Bandersnatch
X4 Destruction, Rattle Viper Type F

I'm sure if I added more to these respective lineups, they'd stick around. Been nothing but impressed with Megabass.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Thu May 05, 2016 2:35 am

Anything with a Slant bridge. Especially the Diablo Stage 1 and Jabberwock. Very difficult to come by. They usually only trade privately.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu May 05, 2016 3:02 am

Westbankcougar wrote:i see a few that have shown up repeatedly, which it what i was hoping. i appreciate everyone's input.

Obviously, your intended uses for the rod(s) should be a major factor. Like any brand, some MB rods are better suited for moving baits while others for bottom contact. In general (and of course there exceptions) they are known for their versatility, quality, and craftsmanship. Some are definitely more sensitive than others, but that is a very subjective subject!!

I don't have a ton of time on the water with mine, but have been very impressed so far. They have quickly equaled and probably by now have exceeded G Loomis as the most rods by any manufacturer in my line up. However, part of the reason for that is that I now fish a lot more moving baits as opposed to just worms and jigs n my previous home lake.

Beware, it can be a fun and expensive hobby to get into the Megabass rods!!!!! :D

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu May 05, 2016 3:28 am

The main issue with Megabass rods they are mostly sold out and it takes looonnngggg time for Megabass to bring them back in stock or they get discontinued very quickly. I would probably buy several rods, but I can't find them in stock.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu May 05, 2016 3:35 am

Super Eiger
Super Elseil
BJ Power Versatile
White Python SB
Super Rekkai

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Thu May 05, 2016 3:52 am

everyone has contributed some great information, thanks. I already have a few Megabass rods....
C40 Mephisto
x4 cyclone
xx Aaron Martens flipping
Aaron Martens limited edition spinning rod.
I am looking to expand my collection.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu May 05, 2016 4:03 am

I was gonna list my favorite models but they're basically the same ones as everyone has mentioned.
Honestly... I've been more than happy with every single Megabass rod I've owned.
With the exception of a few obscure jdm only rods, the only rods I'd consider buying outside of megabass are the new St. Croix Legend Elites.

Megabass might not be the best of the best, but In my hands and on the water the ones I own strike the perfect balance of strength, sensitivity, durability, top quality components, looks, build quality and versatility.

If there was a bass fishing version of 'zombie apocalypse' and I can only take one rod with me- no question which rod I'm rolling out with- The X4 Destruction. :D

As for which one you should get- buy ones based on your intended use and ones that match your preference. Do you want a longer rod or shorter rod? Split grip or full grip? Which reel seat you prefer? A specialized action or a more versatile action?
Pick your rods based on that criteria and you'll likely be much more happy than choosing a rod based on what other people like.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu May 05, 2016 4:29 am

I haven't had that many MB rods, but I'm kicking myself for selling the X4 Rattle Viper Technical Game. It's a really fun stick to fish with for topwater plugs, small cranks, and even weightless plastics and small jigs. Caught my personal best on it, fishing a weightless wacky rigged Damiki Stinger.

I'd add the XX FSS as well.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:58 am

Westbankcougar wrote:everyone has contributed some great information, thanks. I already have a few Megabass rods....
C40 Mephisto
x4 cyclone
xx Aaron Martens flipping
Aaron Martens limited edition spinning rod.
I am looking to expand my collection.
If you like that XX rod the Perfect Pitch and EMTF are great rods for the money. The EMTF is comparable to the X7 EM, just slightly faster in taper and less sensitive. The PP is an insane frog stick. It has the same rating as your Amart Flip :shock: I've used it for jigs in heavy close quarters and it has tons of power with just enough tip for frogs. VERY impressed with the XX lineup.