2016 Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
wink
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

2016 Megabass Destroyers

Post by wink » Fri May 27, 2016 11:45 am

For those of you that own them, what do you like about them, what do not like and are they worth the extra money over the XX ? Not a lot of reviews out there.

Thanks Paul

Rusty McFot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2016 Megabass Destroyers

Post by Rusty McFot » Fri May 27, 2016 5:56 pm

I have the F1-60X Elese.

I wish it had titanium guides. The ones on it are fine, but I'm just fussy.

Build quality is immaculate, as to be expected. I have a PX-R on mine for top-water lures like Baby Pop-X's and Dog-X Jr's.

I haven't used it yet, Bass season in Australia is closed for spawning. Waiting until September. I could put a Zonda on it and use it for Bream in the salt, just haven't had a chance.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Fri May 27, 2016 8:17 pm

I have the speed tip custom. Been able to fish it a few times and love it. Build is classic Megabass quality and classy. I have mine paired to a Diawa Alphas Air and it's a great combo.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:06 am

The 2016 Destroyer line is growing on me more every time I fish them. I have been putting in time with the Faust and the Super Destroyer. A few others will be getting time coming up soon.

Are they worth the additional $100 over the XX line up, absolutely IF you can find one to cover comparable techniques. There isn't a whole lot of overlap between those two series offerings. I'm a big fan of the XX rods - they're among the best of the best at their price point in my opinion. So far so good on the new Destroyer line. Their crispness and sensitivity is much better than I had expected being nearly $200 MSRP less than the Phase III Destroyer line. They are definitely a winner. I'm planning to fish the G-AX, Bandersnatch, Hein, and Speed Tip Custom in the near future... :D

The Tackle Trap has a nice selection in stock and can order models not in stock... Send me a PM for details or call the shop.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:51 am

Does Megabass USA cover these? The Faust haunts my dreams but every year I set the hook into at least one large snapping turtle or something of that nature.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:52 am

CGrinder wrote:Does Megabass USA cover these? The Faust haunts my dreams but every year I set the hook into at least one large snapping turtle or something of that nature.
I believe they just upped the warranty to 5 years.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:52 am

CGrinder wrote:Does Megabass USA cover these? The Faust haunts my dreams but every year I set the hook into at least one large snapping turtle or something of that nature.
The Faust is a fantastic rod indeed. I'm really enjoying mine.

There is a warranty through Megabass of America (MOA), ONLY if you are the original owner, purchased NEW from an authorized MOA retailer. MOA verifies information prior to honoring warranty claims. Folks don't realize all too often buying used Megabass rods (XX, Levante) that they have zero warranty having been purchased used - warranty does not transfer. If buying from a Japan retailer, you're on your own.

wink
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by wink » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:19 am

Thanks guys.

Want a shorter and more sensitive rod for chasing smallies on a river, been looking at the Speed tip Custom and the Hein for throwing light Texas rigged baits around rocks and wood. Any suggestions, am I on the right track or should I be looking at the F4 rods? Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:41 pm

wink wrote:Thanks guys.

Want a shorter and more sensitive rod for chasing smallies on a river, been looking at the Speed tip Custom and the Hein for throwing light Texas rigged baits around rocks and wood. Any suggestions, am I on the right track or should I be looking at the F4 rods? Thanks
It would depend primarily on the weight range. If you're finesse oriented using lighter weights, both the Hein and Speed Tip Custom will easily handle lighter t-rigs. It would come down to your length preferences and whether you could get away with a 6'10" rod vs a 6'1" rod. Both of the 2016 Destroyer F4 rods would get the job done as well, but both have slower tapers than either the Hein or STC.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:02 pm

wink wrote:Thanks guys.

I remembered a thread from way, way, WAAYYY back in the day re: the Hien. It was actually one of the threads where M Hood coined the term "Pixilla". Anyhoo, here was my description of the "Hien":

"I fished the Hien a few times before I sold it. It was one of the most unique action rods I have used. It reminded me of a cane pole. Real limber tip, then extremely stiff. A quick illustration; I picked up a LM bass about 3 lbs and the rod had no bend except at the extreme top of the rod.
I've been putting the F3-64XS Intimidator through some serious paces and I have found it to be exceptional."

Link for context:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11228&sid=271bae05 ... 76be617d87

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:24 am

The 2016 Hein isn't a broom stick by any stretch. It's an F3 (Medium Light) rod with an extra fast taper. It has nice backbone for fishing lighter plastics, t-rigs, finesse jigs, etc. and certainly has some flex to the body of the blank.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=8341

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:38 am

bronzefly wrote:The 2016 Hein isn't a broom stick by any stretch. It's an F3 (Medium Light) rod with an extra fast taper. It has nice backbone for fishing lighter plastics, t-rigs, finesse jigs, etc. and certainly has some flex to the body of the blank.

We're mixing two rod comments together. The "broomstick" comment was more off-hand about preferring actions a bit heavier than most people. My comment about the Hien's action, I felt was mostly in the top 18" of the stick.
Sorry for any confusion they may have caused.

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:02 am

bronzefly wrote:The 2016 Hein isn't a broom stick by any stretch. It's an F3 (Medium Light) rod with an extra fast taper. It has nice backbone for fishing lighter plastics, t-rigs, finesse jigs, etc. and certainly has some flex to the body of the blank.

How would you compare the Hien to the much loved Super Eiger? Are the actions and sensitivite similar? It is a rod I have a lot of interest in.

Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:31 am

Johnny A wrote:

We're mixing two rod comments together. The "broomstick" comment was more off-hand about preferring actions a bit heavier than most people. My comment about the Hien's action, I felt was mostly in the top 18" of the stick.
Sorry for any confusion they may have caused.
Understood, no worries at all. I'm in the same boat and often prefer more powerful than a lot of guys for the same techniques. The XF taper is certainly noticeable with this one, but it's in no way "ultra extra fast" like some of the stinger tip rods. It reminds me more of the XF from the older BCR GLX rods.
mundo wrote:How would you compare the Hien to the much loved Super Eiger? Are the actions and sensitivite similar? It is a rod I have a lot of interest in.

Thanks
The actions are very different. The Hein has an extra fast taper, the Super Eiger has a noticeably more moderate fast taper. The Super Eiger still feels more finesse oriented, though their actual backbone isn't terribly far apart. I think that feel has to do with the overall design of the handle and reel seat. I have no real on the water time with the Hein as of yet, so I won't speak to the sensitivity issue. The few 2016 Destroyer models I've fished however, have been much better than I'd anticipated in that department. My guess is that the Super Eiger would have the edge in pure sensitivity.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:47 am

Niiiice. Would I have any issues fishing a 5.8 Keitech on a Beast hook with the Faust? Effortlessly long casts sounds excellent because I'm walking around with a T-rex arm after slinging them on a Zodias all day.