Counterfeit Megabass Reels?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Counterfeit Megabass Reels?

Post by evilcatfish » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 am

As a Daiwa guy I've always been attracted to Megabass offerings but felt they were a little more money than I needed to spend. Lately I've been seeing what seem like pretty good deals from various Asian retailers and ebay sellers. In some cases the prices seem almost too got to be true, so I'm curious are there any known instances of Megabass reels being counterfeited? I found a little info on some faked MB lures but not reels. I figure if there fake Rolex watches and fine wine, then high end reels might be faked too?

In full disclosure, temptation got the best of me last night and I ordered a reel. Seller seems to be legit and offers a full refund if not satisfied but I'm worried I should've asked here first...

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Counterfeit Megabass Reels?

Post by africanbass » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:29 am

I think you are good,no worries
Don't worry about the product,rather double check the seller

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:03 am

I don't think the market is big enough "yet" for them to make some fake MB reels and invest in the time and money to make it look real. When comparing MB to Jordans, Beats headphones, and watches this enthusiasts market is almost unknown. Now you have to be careful of fake websites, many from China.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:08 am

The only ones I've heard of being faked are the dragon reels as they are relatively easy to replicate off of a stock reel. I've seen a few out of places like Thailand.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:40 am

I just bought two FX68Rs that seemed too cheap. Both new in box and both in perfect condition when they arrived. One was $199 and the second was $180.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:55 am

aussiebasser wrote:I just bought two FX68Rs that seemed too cheap. Both new in box and both in perfect condition when they arrived. One was $199 and the second was $180.
All was good with them? I think I the one I ordered may have been from the same seller...

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Guilty as well... I got some of these for $220 last fall. Somehow this same seller seems to have a never ending supply of FX68 Rosso and Viola. And MB sells them on their website for $400+ (it's actually the only reel in stock at MB Japan).

It's either counterfeit, stolen goods, money laundering, some side gig for MB to unload on the cheap or they just bought a huge inventory at a big discount. Something doesn't really add up though :shock:

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:52 pm

I don't know about counterfeit, but there is an Fx68 rosso and a viola for about 220 shipped, but both ship from japan. What is the difference between this reel over its the daiwa its based on, and exactly which t3 is it?

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 pm

timsford wrote:I don't know about counterfeit, but there is an Fx68 rosso and a viola for about 220 shipped, but both ship from japan. What is the difference between this reel over its the daiwa its based on, and exactly which t3 is it?
Based on the jdm T3 MX ,the pick of the bunch
These also went on 60% clearance in the recent past
Funny how all the T3 's were cleared at around $200 over the past couple of years :?
The 1016,the limited ballistics,MX's,SV T3 and now the FX's
I paid $460 for my first 1016 :lol: on launch

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:35 am

Seems like the same ones. I can vouch for the seller. Delivery from Japan was quick and they were well packed. After buying one, I looked at the other and noticed I was eligible for a 10% discount if I bought another. That's got the missus birthday present sorted! These were cheaper than the Ballistics down here. Missus will have the Viola and I may keep the Rosso for myself. :D

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Same here, the ones I got are legit! If I were to counterfeit a reel, a high-end T3 variant wouldn't be my first choice...

There may just be way too much inventory out there and not enough demand. The T3 TW design is polarizing, so some dealers may just be getting ahead of the eventual fire sale to move these before the next model comes out... Plenty of T3 reels and variants were sold at more than 50% off.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks for making me feel better guys! I ordered the reel Sunday night and its already made its way to Chicago. I should see it in St Louis by Saturday and I'm pretty excited to use it

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:07 am

I got one each of the fx68 rosso and viola; from the auction site 220 each plus shipping each. the last few the guy has have now risen to 295 each shipping each. reels cast great. I don't doubt for a second their authenticity.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:44 pm

If the side plate reads MEGABAAS, then I might worry. :lol:

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:43 am

I also resisted the monkey for a long time, but when I say they had left only one Viola righty for $200 as well as just one Mago T3 at a lower price than it could find anywhere else I placed the order, I had already made a few purchases from this seller so I was not surprised when they showed up in perfect condition. I guess I am one of the few who enjoys the T3 platform.