Megabass Arms Leggera

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass Arms Leggera

Post by Westbankcougar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:49 am

I am thinking of getting the Arms Super Leggera asl7005. I would use it for jigs. What reel daiwa or megabass reel should i consider pairing with it?

paul19057
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass Arms Leggera

Post by paul19057 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:12 am

I just bought the same rod, you are giong to like it.
Right now I am pairing it with a ito 103.
Someday I want to get an ip68 dragon reel for it.
Paul

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:19 am

I just got an ito, which i agree would pair nicely.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:32 am

What size jigs are you going to throw with it?
I own the ASL 7005 and 7206. The 7206 is a much better candidate for 1/2 & up jig fishing IMHO.

paul19057
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paul19057 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:46 am

I have owned my 7005 just a little while and might agree with Rise.
It does have some flex in the upper part of the rod.
When in doubt call Gary at tackle trap
Paul

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:05 am

Will mostly be 3/8oz jigs. I want this for slow fishing bottom contact. Most of my fishing is in 5-7 feet of water. If you find a 10 foot hole you are in the deep water!

Beastmaster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Beastmaster » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:42 am

RISE wrote:What size jigs are you going to throw with it?
I own the ASL 7005 and 7206. The 7206 is a much better candidate for 1/2 & up jig fishing IMHO.
Hello. I am hesitating between these 2 options ... can you please describe a bit the 7206? I would use 1/2 to 1 oz jigheads most of the time.
Isn't it too stiff during fish fights? I don't like when it is too rigid. :( lost many fish because of this issue...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 am

Beastmaster wrote: Hello. I am hesitating between these 2 options ... can you please describe a bit the 7206? I would use 1/2 to 1 oz jigheads most of the time.
Isn't it too stiff during fish fights? I don't like when it is too rigid. :( lost many fish because of this issue...
When you describe jigheads, do you mean something with a plastic attached, or a skirted jig plus trailer? What's the total overall weight in general for either. I have both rods. Generally speaking for a 1/2 oz skirted jig not in thick cover, I'd be happy with the 7005. A 1 oz jig, I wouldn't be happy with the 7005 however. The 7206 is going to be fairly stout for a 1/2 oz jig but handles it nicely, but the 1 oz jig won't be a problem. Just get both and be done with it :lol:

I will say, there are quite a few ASL models that are either already sold out in either "R" or "L", some both, and some very close to being gone. The ARMS Challenge models that are available have been reduced to $899 for casting and $799 for spinning.

If you'd like information on which ones may still be ordered, or if you'd like to order, feel free to email me thetackletrap@ gmail.com
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Beastmaster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Beastmaster » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:42 pm

I will use mainly 3/4 to 1 1/4 oz jig heads rigged with grubs, worms, swimbaits. Skirted jigs not that much.
Heavy cover - yes.
I fished shortly my friend's Destroyer TS 72XS (spinning) rated 1 1/4 oz and it worked well btw 5/8 and 1 1/4. I'm afraid the 7206 would be too stiff, as the Ts was at the limit for the rod behaviour I like for this application.
Another example - I own the Evoluzion F5 7' rated 1 oz, which is not dedicated to this style. Even tough I love to fish it with weights till 1 oz. What I need is similar rod behavior, little more stiffness and more backbone, of course.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Beastmaster wrote:I will use mainly 3/4 to 1 1/4 oz jig heads rigged with grubs, worms, swimbaits. Skirted jigs not that much.
Heavy cover - yes.
I fished shortly my friend's Destroyer TS 72XS (spinning) rated 1 1/4 oz and it worked well btw 5/8 and 1 1/4. I'm afraid the 7206 would be too stiff, as the Ts was at the limit for the rod behaviour I like for this application.
Another example - I own the Evoluzion F5 7' rated 1 oz, which is not dedicated to this style. Even tough I love to fish it with weights till 1 oz. What I need is similar rod behavior, little more stiffness and more backbone, of course.
I suggest that you consider a F6.5-72 Mephisto either in the original Evoluzion C40 or Legend Works LTD. line. The F6.5-74XBJ Power Versatile is another stand out performer in the Megabass family for these applications. On the less expensive side, the Hyuga 72H will make you happy I think. The ASL7206 works great for those applications in my hands, but I like a more stout, less moderate action rod in those situations.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Beastmaster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Beastmaster » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you for the recommendations. Honestly I want one Arms SL :roll:
From your words I tend to go on 7206X side. Some pics with the rod under load or short vid with it's behaviour can help me to take the final decision. If you already have some, please let me know and I'll give you my email address. Otherwise I don't wanna waste your time.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Beastmaster wrote:Thank you for the recommendations. Honestly I want one Arms SL :roll:
From your words I tend to go on 7206X side. Some pics with the rod under load or short vid with it's behaviour can help me to take the final decision. If you already have some, please let me know and I'll give you my email address. Otherwise I don't wanna waste your time.
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate my time not being wasted!! :lol: I don't blame you on wanting an ASL, they're spectacular pieces of work. I think you're on the right track with the 7206. Best of luck with your decision, if I can help further, you can send me a PM but I have no photos or videos of the rods under load, I fish more than photo/video.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I was gonna buy the same rod, but then decided to buy a house and had enough money to buy a car too :laugh1:

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 pm

Anyone considering buying an Arms Leggera is taking into consideration both style, substance and exlusivity. I would suggest the Daiwa Battler, available for purchase only from AU. (to my knowledge). Pick up a G1 SV spool, pay the AU tarriff and you will be into the reel around a crispy $700. At 7.9 ounces, it's a bit on the hefty side and depending on where the weight is on the rod, balance might be an issue. The G1 spool will bring the weight down a couple of notches.
I have a Destroyer Javelin paired with a Daiwa Morethan (7.7 oz) and it is still slightly tip forward.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Battler- ... 2289748286

https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/battler-tw-1520h/

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 am

Question in regards to the Super Leggera rods.

If you cast with your right hand and then hold the rod with your left, reeling with the right, would you get a Left hand rod?
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300