Best aftermarket BFS spool?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best aftermarket BFS spool?

Post by kinniyoubi » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi yall,

I wan wondering what the best BFS spool you can(Or could in the case of something like the Yumeya) buy. From the top of my head, the brands that are commonly mentioned on the forums are ZPI, KTF, Yumeya and Avail. Have anyone had the chance to try more than two of them and can give some input.

I guess there are many ways you can consider a spool the "best". Some want to throw light lures and still have decent line capacity. In my case, throwing light lures if of top priority.

Thank you!

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best aftermarket BFS spool?

Post by John G » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:56 pm

What rod are you going to get? The ranking for those spools for throwing the lightstuff IMHO are ZPI, KTF, Avail and Yumeya.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:40 am

I don't know what reel you are using, but for the money, the DIY spools can't be beat.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... =DIY+SPOOL

DaveJ

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:47 am

Thanks guys!

The spool will be going on a XT 1000. As for the rod, I have not bought it yet but I am leaning towards the newer Majorcraft Speedstyle. Exact model unknown an I am deciding between the shorter 6'4" or the longer 6'6".

I thought the Yumeya would be higher up on the list seeing that many are trying to find it now. I guess it's just because it's sold out everywhere(?).

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:55 am

kinniyoubi wrote:Thanks guys!

The spool will be going on a XT 1000. As for the rod, I have not bought it yet but I am leaning towards the newer Majorcraft Speedstyle. Exact model unknown an I am deciding between the shorter 6'4" or the longer 6'6".

I thought the Yumeya would be higher up on the list seeing that many are trying to find it now. I guess it's just because it's sold out everywhere(?).
Shimano discontinued the 32mm yumeya spool that's why they are hard to find.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:24 am

Member John G had mentioned in one of your other threads he has a 32 mm Yumeya spool. The price is right. I'd get that and call it a day. Plug some air spool bearings in it and you will be set. When I had mine in my Scorpion I was casting 3/32 total weight without issue. One brake on, no thumbing, good distance. I'm confident with that light power Speedstyle you could go even a touch lighter on light line. I was using a medium light with 8 lb test.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Member John G had mentioned in one of your other threads he has a 32 mm Yumeya spool. The price is right. I'd get that and call it a day. Plug some air spool bearings in it and you will be set. When I had mine in my Scorpion I was casting 3/32 total weight without issue. One brake on, no thumbing, good distance. I'm confident with that light power Speedstyle you could go even a touch lighter on light line. I was using a medium light with 8 lb test.
That's awesome to hear! The model of the rod is currently down to either the 6'4" or the 6'8" that can cast down to 1/32. My goal would be to cast 1/16 oz hard lure (and sometimes soft plastics).

Do you think that is plausible if I go with Air bearing and ~6lb braid (heard good things about the tracer)?

Or do you think I should go with one of the others instead to hit my goal of casting 1/16oz if I had the choice.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:40 am

[/quote]Do you think that is plausible if I go with Air bearing and ~6lb braid (heard good things about the tracer)?[/quote]

I've been using 8lb Gliss all year. Holds up well as long as you use a fluorocarbon leader (which you should be doing anyway). I pulled in a pretty big log from a river with it. Its a tiny diameter. I only put 40m on my spool and no dig ins.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:14 am

ccass wrote:
Do you think that is plausible if I go with Air bearing and ~6lb braid (heard good things about the tracer)?[/quote]

I've been using 8lb Gliss all year. Holds up well as long as you use a fluorocarbon leader (which you should be doing anyway). I pulled in a pretty big log from a river with it. Its a tiny diameter. I only put 40m on my spool and no dig ins.[/quote]

I was asking more towards, if yall think it would be possible to throw lighter (1/16oz) lures if I go with a lighter line (~6lb braid) on the yumeya spool.

Ohh, another question, to spool the reel (If i am going braid). I should go with mono backing (2 round) > Braid (~35-50m) > fluoro leader?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:12 am

kinniyoubi wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Member John G had mentioned in one of your other threads he has a 32 mm Yumeya spool. The price is right. I'd get that and call it a day. Plug some air spool bearings in it and you will be set. When I had mine in my Scorpion I was casting 3/32 total weight without issue. One brake on, no thumbing, good distance. I'm confident with that light power Speedstyle you could go even a touch lighter on light line. I was using a medium light with 8 lb test.
That's awesome to hear! The model of the rod is currently down to either the 6'4" or the 6'8" that can cast down to 1/32. My goal would be to cast 1/16 oz hard lure (and sometimes soft plastics).

Do you think that is plausible if I go with Air bearing and ~6lb braid (heard good things about the tracer)?

Or do you think I should go with one of the others instead to hit my goal of casting 1/16oz if I had the choice.
Honestly, if I were trying to cast 1/16 oz hardbaits, I'd opt for a shallow spool finesse spinning reel and a longer rod. Probably something from the Major Craft Finetail series. The bass casting rods, even the light power aren't going to load up well with that light of bait. Not to mention hardbaits don't cast as well as a chunk of plastic. I would also be worried about ripping those tiny treble hooks out of the fish. I'd opt for something 7 foot or better so you can get some decent distance. That particular bait is probably the hardest thing to cast. I'd also have a look at the 10 lb Seaguar Smackdown braid.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:32 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
kinniyoubi wrote:

Honestly, if I were trying to cast 1/16 oz hardbaits, I'd opt for a shallow spool finesse spinning reel and a longer rod. Probably something from the Major Craft Finetail series. The bass casting rods, even the light power aren't going to load up well with that light of bait. Not to mention hardbaits don't cast as well as a chunk of plastic. I would also be worried about ripping those tiny treble hooks out of the fish. I'd opt for something 7 foot or better so you can get some decent distance. That particular bait is probably the hardest thing to cast. I'd also have a look at the 10 lb Seaguar Smackdown braid.
I use a 6'1" Phenix Mirage UL blank. I can cast the tiniest cranks with ease. The non stretch lone doesn't rip the hooks out becasue the rod loads up so well. I can bring in crappies on cranks without fear of losing them. The rod isn't sloppy on the cast like you'd think with being so limber. The build isn't too expensive either. I can get my parts list for it if you would like

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:21 am

Hogsticker2 wrote: Honestly, if I were trying to cast 1/16 oz hardbaits, I'd opt for a shallow spool finesse spinning reel and a longer rod. Probably something from the Major Craft Finetail series. The bass casting rods, even the light power aren't going to load up well with that light of bait. Not to mention hardbaits don't cast as well as a chunk of plastic. I would also be worried about ripping those tiny treble hooks out of the fish. I'd opt for something 7 foot or better so you can get some decent distance. That particular bait is probably the hardest thing to cast. I'd also have a look at the 10 lb Seaguar Smackdown braid.
Thanks for the reply! I am unsure if this information is important but a lure I would really like to be able to throw is the 2 inch Yozuri pin minnow (coming in at 1/16oz). I actually do have a ultralight spinning setup but it doesnt see much water time as I find baitcast more fun to use.

I've also seen alot of people recommending that certain braid. Will definitely be looking into those too!

ccass wrote: I use a 6'1" Phenix Mirage UL blank. I can cast the tiniest cranks with ease. The non stretch lone doesn't rip the hooks out becasue the rod loads up so well. I can bring in crappies on cranks without fear of losing them. The rod isn't sloppy on the cast like you'd think with being so limber. The build isn't too expensive either. I can get my parts list for it if you would like
A custom rod sounds interesting! I would love to attempt to make one. Can you tell me more about the weight of the lures you cast and the average distance?

For the rod that you mention, it seems like it comes for spinning gear only (for ready made). If I turn it into a baitcast rod, would I be losing out on anything? I've also heard of the Recon being recommended for BFS setups, what are your thoughts on that?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:19 am

kinniyoubi wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: Honestly, if I were trying to cast 1/16 oz hardbaits, I'd opt for a shallow spool finesse spinning reel and a longer rod. Probably something from the Major Craft Finetail series. The bass casting rods, even the light power aren't going to load up well with that light of bait. Not to mention hardbaits don't cast as well as a chunk of plastic. I would also be worried about ripping those tiny treble hooks out of the fish. I'd opt for something 7 foot or better so you can get some decent distance. That particular bait is probably the hardest thing to cast. I'd also have a look at the 10 lb Seaguar Smackdown braid.
Thanks for the reply! I am unsure if this information is important but a lure I would really like to be able to throw is the 2 inch Yozuri pin minnow (coming in at 1/16oz). I actually do have a ultralight spinning setup but it doesnt see much water time as I find baitcast more fun to use.

I've also seen alot of people recommending that certain braid. Will definitely be looking into those too!

ccass wrote: I use a 6'1" Phenix Mirage UL blank. I can cast the tiniest cranks with ease. The non stretch lone doesn't rip the hooks out becasue the rod loads up so well. I can bring in crappies on cranks without fear of losing them. The rod isn't sloppy on the cast like you'd think with being so limber. The build isn't too expensive either. I can get my parts list for it if you would like
A custom rod sounds interesting! I would love to attempt to make one. Can you tell me more about the weight of the lures you cast and the average distance?

For the rod that you mention, it seems like it comes for spinning gear only (for ready made). If I turn it into a baitcast rod, would I be losing out on anything? I've also heard of the Recon being recommended for BFS setups, what are your thoughts on that?
I haven't measured any distances so I won't guess. I have a football field right by my place so I will measure the distance with various lures. I mainly use the Rapala UL series and the Rapala CD-1. I throw spinners and jigs as well. I use a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG for my reel.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:21 pm

ccass wrote: I haven't measured any distances so I won't guess. I have a football field right by my place so I will measure the distance with various lures. I mainly use the Rapala UL series and the Rapala CD-1. I throw spinners and jigs as well. I use a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG for my reel.
Awesome! I was really tempted to get the 15 BFS XG Limited, have you thought about getting a aftermarket spool for it? If you do some testing, please include the distance for lures around 1/16oz.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:
ccass wrote: I haven't measured any distances so I won't guess. I have a football field right by my place so I will measure the distance with various lures. I mainly use the Rapala UL series and the Rapala CD-1. I throw spinners and jigs as well. I use a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG for my reel.
Awesome! I was really tempted to get the 15 BFS XG Limited, have you thought about getting a aftermarket spool for it? If you do some testing, please include the distance for lures around 1/16oz.
Yeah. I will take a picture of all the lures used and I'll list the distance in yards. I like the 16 better than the 15 Aldebaran. I had a problem with my line getting caught between the spool and the frame. The mag brakes have more control as well. Still gets good distance too.