Daiwa Shrapnel

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Shrapnel

Post by Redlinerobert » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:16 am

Couldn't resist picking one up. 40% off at Plat right now, so hard to lose.

The reel arrived today, it's an absolute tank. I have a 90mm carbon handle for it and will send it off to Ian for tuning. Waiting for another reel to arrive from Japan in order to send off both.... \:D/

I would LOVE to see an aftermarket spool for the Shrapnel. I don't think anyone makes any however?

I could only imagine what this thing would look like with a honeycomb spool. :shock:
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Shrapnel

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:25 am

Redlinerobert wrote:Couldn't resist picking one up. 40% off at Plat right now, so hard to lose.

The reel arrived today, it's an absolute tank. I have a 90mm carbon handle for it and will send it off to Ian for tuning. Waiting for another reel to arrive from Japan in order to send off both.... \:D/

I would LOVE to see an aftermarket spool for the Shrapnel. I don't think anyone makes any however?

I could only imagine what this thing would look like with a honeycomb spool. :shock:

I picked one up a few months back when Japan Tackle was having a sale on them...plan on sending to Ian as well over the winter.

I'm going to pair it with the SRD for skis and pike. 8-)

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 am

Redlinerobert wrote:Couldn't resist picking one up. 40% off at Plat right now, so hard to lose.

At a tad over $400 TYD it's hard to pass up.
Spool options and just a bit more IPT option and I'd say you have the perfect ski reel.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Yes, at ~$400 it was hard to pass up. I've not been able to find any aftermarket spools.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:27 pm

Redlinerobert wrote:Yes, at ~$400 it was hard to pass up. I've not been able to find any aftermarket spools.
Dropping the 2020 and 1016 was in and of itself open for WTF...
Why the kickass answer to a few 2020 and 1016 issues has linited itelf so is again , wtf.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Redlinerobert wrote:Yes, at ~$400 it was hard to pass up. I've not been able to find any aftermarket spools.
Any luck on finding an aftermarket spool? I'd love to find one for loading up with 80-100lb. braid.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Any luck on finding an aftermarket spool? I'd love to find one for loading up with 80-100lb. braid.
No luck in finding an aftermarket spool, so I've decided to have one made. Don't know how long it will take, but I will post pictures when it's ready. \:D/

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:23 am

Redlinerobert wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
No luck in finding an aftermarket spool, so I've decided to have one made. Don't know how long it will take, but I will post pictures when it's ready. \:D/

Dude, that's awesome! Can't wait to see it. 8-)

I'll be fishing mine for the first time this weekend....just picked up an Onager from The Tackle Trap. I'll be using 20lb. Big Game for now.

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blauwe Lori » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:06 am

Where did you buy the Carbon handle

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Bought it on Ebay, but you can find them at almost every JDM tackle site. Try The Tackle Trap.