Dollar/yen exchange rate

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dollar/yen exchange rate

Post by wbook01 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:04 am

I've been waiting to pull the trigger on an Antares DC. Thanks to the dropping exchange rate, the price I've been watching has fallen by almost 10 percent in the last few weeks.

Is it time? =P~

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dollar/yen exchange rate

Post by silversix » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:20 am

When are the Canadian Pesos getting better? Its getting depressing at this point. :doh:

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Make the monkey happy for Christmas; DO IT! :D

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:05 pm

I've been keeping an eye out too. Gonna be patient for a couple of more weeks.

wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wbook01 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:07 pm

I pulled the trigger on it last night. Merry Christmas to me. =D>

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:53 am

wbook01 wrote:I pulled the trigger on it last night. Merry Christmas to me. =D>
For perspective, it wasn't that long ago that the yen to dollar exchange rate was such that JDM stuff was 20-25% higher than the prices now. :shock:

You are getting a great exchange rate, even if the dollar is likely to appreciate a little further vis-a-vi the yen.

Let us know what you think of the reel, I have been contemplating getting an Antares.

wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wbook01 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 am

I will do that. I needed another reel like I need a hole in my head, but, hey, you only live once.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:10 am

Here is exactly what has happened ober the last year .
With the election result and it's effect on the markets here, winter coming, Japan's economic issues, etc., I am gussing we will see an even more favorable exchange rate in the next few months.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 5750 times

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:34 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:Here is exactly what has happened ober the last year .
With the election result and it's effect on the markets here, winter coming, Japan's economic issues, etc., I am gussing we will see an even more favorable exchange rate in the next few months.
That's what I'm hooping for. I'd love a favourable exchange rate to coincide with when my JDM bait monkey tends to get rowdy.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:41 am

adam lancia wrote:
That's what I'm hooping for. I'd love a favourable exchange rate to coincide with when my JDM bait monkey tends to get rowdy.
If I wanted to take full advantage and I were a betting man I personally would not order a new rod or reel from Japan until at least January 20 .

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 am

Yup, I'm thinking early February. I'm gonna be tracking it closely.

wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wbook01 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:27 am

There may be other considerations, as well. For example, I wanted a right-handed model of the Antares DC. On the website I was following, the right-handed option disappeared. When I emailed the owner, he said he still had a couple of righties. So I grabbed one. If I'd waited until after Jan. 20, what I wanted might have been long gone.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:41 am

wbook01 wrote:There may be other considerations, as well. For example, I wanted a right-handed model of the Antares DC. On the website I was following, the right-handed option disappeared. When I emailed the owner, he said he still had a couple of righties. So I grabbed one. If I'd waited until after Jan. 20, what I wanted might have been long gone.
Yeah right, shimano will stop producing their new flagship by new year eve... ;)

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:07 am

wbook01 wrote:There may be other considerations, as well. For example, I wanted a right-handed model of the Antares DC. On the website I was following, the right-handed option disappeared. When I emailed the owner, he said he still had a couple of righties. So I grabbed one. If I'd waited until after Jan. 20, what I wanted might have been long gone.
Absolutely. Tons of other variables to factor in. But all things equal, pertaining to yen to dollar exchange rates, my guess would be optimum purchase power early next year.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:47 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
If I wanted to take full advantage and I were a betting man I personally would not order a new rod or reel from Japan until at least January 20 .
Without going too far into political weeds, there may be a window of opportunity between $USD rate going up and possible tariffs being enacted. And then there is always further currency manipulation. But that's a whole different story for a whole different forum.