Orochi XXX

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Orochi XXX

Post by reason162 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 am

LowRange wrote:What has been the biggest disappointment is that the XX rods were wrapped in a woven carbon fiber bracing that gave the appearance of a snake's skin. Form follows function. The xXx rods just have a woven graphic of snakes skin heat shrunk over the blank. Form over function is the motif of the xXx rods IMO.
So you're telling me that I can disregard this photo?? That them metal fibers are merely cosmetic? :)

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am

LowRange wrote:They're not replacing XX rods any time soon IMO.
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:37 am

389Maverick wrote:
LowRange wrote:They're not replacing XX rods any time soon IMO.
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
I think he means that they aren't replacing the XX rods in his line up as he prefers the XX series, maybe I'm wrong. The XXX rods are very nice in my opinion, whether the weave is cosmetic or not. In their price range, they are very competitive, and finally becoming more readily available. A bunch of models are in stock and shipping from The Tackle Trap now...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:38 pm

reason162 wrote:
LowRange wrote:What has been the biggest disappointment is that the XX rods were wrapped in a woven carbon fiber bracing that gave the appearance of a snake's skin. Form follows function. The xXx rods just have a woven graphic of snakes skin heat shrunk over the blank. Form over function is the motif of the xXx rods IMO.
So you're telling me that I can disregard this photo?? That them metal fibers are merely cosmetic? :)

The metal contnet is not visible and there is no woven texture to the blank. What you see in that image is a praphic of the blank construction. There is the appearance of a woven material on the rod but it is an image printed into a sleeve that is afixed to the blank. It's a cosmetic touch and a nice one at that. I would have prefered the woven fiber appearance to have been functional like on the xx rods and made the rod a little more rigid too. The black elseil II is little softer in the backbone than what I was expecting for an f4 rod billed as a versitle rod able to handle plastics with a metal fiber blank specifically designed to make the rod more rigid in the lifting section. Feels more like a treble hook rod. My two Zodias rods have way more backbone and are much more veratile. Not a bad rod my any stretch but it's construction is not as impressive as an xx rod in my eyes. Not trying to knock the rod too hard but I'll stick to the xx rods.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:14 pm

I have been looking at the Black Themis to replace a Phenix PHX-C712 as my main BFS rod. I haven't found much info about them online, do any of you guys have one and can offer an opinion on it? I want to use for plastics "lighter than a 5" senko", small hardbaits, and micro jigs. I would like it to load with a true 1/8oz lure, which the Phenix does. My issue with the Phenix is the reel seat, which cramps my hand after a few hours.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:48 pm

LowRange wrote:
The metal contnet is not visible and there is no woven texture to the blank. What you see in that image is a praphic of the blank construction. There is the appearance of a woven material on the rod but it is an image printed into a sleeve that is afixed to the blank. It's a cosmetic touch and a nice one at that. I would have prefered the woven fiber appearance to have been functional like on the xx rods and made the rod a little more rigid too.
The blank is braided micro fiber with ASL shape memory metal alloy, ASL+X47.
3 layers total, all pilled up at 47 degree angles, hence XXX.

I might even prefer it to the Mitsubishi Rayon pyrofil.

Now please explain what the heck you're talking about?
Instagram @m.a.dufour

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm

389Maverick wrote:
LowRange wrote:
The metal contnet is not visible and there is no woven texture to the blank. What you see in that image is a praphic of the blank construction. There is the appearance of a woven material on the rod but it is an image printed into a sleeve that is afixed to the blank. It's a cosmetic touch and a nice one at that. I would have prefered the woven fiber appearance to have been functional like on the xx rods and made the rod a little more rigid too.
The blank is braided micro fiber with ASL shape memory metal alloy, ASL+X47.

Now please explain what the heck you're talking about?
I am familiar with the blanks construction. How about I use pictures and keep things simple.

I like the carbon wrap on the xx more than I like the graphic on the xXx.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:35 pm

LowRange wrote:
I like the carbon wrap on the xx more than I like the graphic on the xXx.
That's basically all you had to say from the get go lol
Instagram @m.a.dufour

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:21 pm

389Maverick wrote:The blank is braided micro fiber with ASL shape memory metal alloy, ASL+X47.

Question: I have the Hyuga 72h, excellent rod for what I use it for...that's Mitsubishi Pyrofil correct? How does the XXX blank compare in terms of strength? I'm looking at the Cover Hacking for saltwater jigging, always a possibility of something big at the end of my line!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 pm

LowRange wrote:
reason162 wrote:

The metal contnet is not visible and there is no woven texture to the blank. What you see in that image is a praphic of the blank construction. There is the appearance of a woven material on the rod but it is an image printed into a sleeve that is afixed to the blank. It's a cosmetic touch and a nice one at that. I would have prefered the woven fiber appearance to have been functional like on the xx rods and made the rod a little more rigid too. The black elseil II is little softer in the backbone than what I was expecting for an f4 rod billed as a versitle rod able to handle plastics with a metal fiber blank specifically designed to make the rod more rigid in the lifting section. Feels more like a treble hook rod. My two Zodias rods have way more backbone and are much more veratile. Not a bad rod my any stretch but it's construction is not as impressive as an xx rod in my eyes. Not trying to knock the rod too hard but I'll stick to the xx rods.

Need to make a correction here. The pattern on the sleeve is not printed and it is a woven material. You can see where the pattern is broken from being formed into a cone to fit the blank's taper It's still cosmetic.

breamtim
Angler
Angler

Post by breamtim » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 am

Anyone on here used the Jade Python or Scramble tour spinning rods? Looking at getting a two piece model to go with my new Megabass Lin 258, with PE 1. Which model do you guys think would go best with this reel (245g)? Leaning towards the Scramble Tour. Will be used for a variety of techniques, mostly small jerk baits, topwater or plastics.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:20 am

I can definitely speak on experience that the woven portion of the rod is not cosmetic it is actually a wrap. As stated before I like the black Themis but just wasn't my cup of tea at the time, but now I'm starting to come back around with these multi-piece rods. Going to try possibly one or two models the 2 piece super Orochi and or the four piece BE2.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Alright TTers, anyone care to share some thoughts on the Chimera? I am getting itchy and instead of a super Orochi I am now having tempting thoughts on the Chimera.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Cristo wrote:Alright TTers, anyone care to share some thoughts on the Chimera? I am getting itchy and instead of a super Orochi I am now having tempting thoughts on the Chimera.
They're similar but different :lol: The Super Orochi is noticeably more moderate in action than the Chimaera. Think of the SO as an ideal big topwater walking bait rod, a great spinner bait or chatter bait rod for target casting, that can handle those bottom contact applications when necessary. Think of the Chimaera as a jig and worm rod first and foremost that can handle some of those other applications like spinner baits, chatter baits, and big top waters when necessary. They're both utility rods and quite versatile for the angler who doesn't want to carry a bunch of rods onto the kayak or shore fishing, but each with their own tendency toward a set of applications. I hope that helps some!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 pm

LowRange wrote:Black Elseil and Steez limited with 1010 spool.

That's a beautiful combo!!! Simply gorgeous!