Kaleido Serpenti Spinning Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Kaleido Serpenti Spinning Rods

Post by BassFisher83 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:29 am

While I don't see myself dropping $800+ for a spinning rod right now - anyone have one or know anything about them?

They look top notch as expected from Evergreen. Wonder how the sensativity is compared to other top of the line rods, MB (Simoom), NRX, etc. The Bush Serpent would be the only one I would consider - http://www.fishingimport.com/tienda/art ... sh-serpent

Could be an awesome bottom contact rod for jigs, shakey head and similar, even finesse swimbaits. I'd love a 6'6" spinning rod to skip senkos under docks with as well. Anyone know what the Taper is - it says ST, but I have no idea what that means. The rating of 1/16-3/4oz seems large to me, maybe more 1/2oz and under? Especially rated to only 12lb line.

Thoughts?
Matt

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Kaleido Serpenti Spinning Rods

Post by Farnorth » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:41 am

ST is for solid tip. I believe they are fast - extra fast but I don't know anything about them beyond what the marketing material says.

http://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods_ ... 080_1.html

They seem to be talking about throwing lures on the lighter side but having the power to pull fish out of cover. Think soft tip heavy backbone.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:28 am

I have two EG solid tip models, albeit from the "Salty Sensation" saltwater line-up. One of their distinguishing features is they are meant to be used with very small diameter PE line (seriously small guides), but probably share the same blank tech as in the Serpenti series.

I have the "BB Hitman" which I had a chance to use chasing big Canadian Walleye, and based on that experience I can see the rod making a great rod for bottom contact smallie fishing (as well as weightless flukes, shakey heads, drop shotting for LMB). I used Sufix NanoBraid, with a fluoro leader to great effect.

I also have the "Super Sensor" for getting after panfish, and that rod is just plain fun to fish.

Two things, these rods are extremely light and the tips are very thin (think mechanical pencil lead thin). Alphahawk (in the UL section here and other forums) has an extensive collection of JDM solid tip rods and his posts are a great resource for what you can expect from several brands. Outside of the physically diminutive size of these rods they do transition to backbone... It's going to take me some time on the water to test those limits. There's video on the EG site, fishing the salty sensation line for smallies here, and he doesn't hold back at all (though he's not catching toads either).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx-fo-DU_kU

My most recent solid tip acquisition (and probably final) is the MB Kirisame F2-63XK-S, which I understand to be a full solid blank... I'm looking forward to having some fun with that this summer.

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:58 am

FarNorth, thanks for the info.

Andrew awesome post, it is all making more sense now. That is SUPER thin however. In that video it almost looks like he is throwing FC the way the sun hits it at times.

I will certainly look at AlphaHawks posts and see what I can learn.