Help: Power Rating on MajorCraft (travel) Rods L vs. UL

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SwissFishingDude
Angler
Angler

Help: Power Rating on MajorCraft (travel) Rods L vs. UL

Post by SwissFishingDude » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Hey Guys

im turning too you because I have a hard time wrapping my head arround some rod specs.

im looking for a new BFS travel rod, und it seems to boil down to the mc gec694 UL(1/32-1/4) or L(1/16-1/4), reg-fast. both seem to have very similar ratings.

Can anybody explain where the difference might play out? Do i get away with slighlty heavier lures than 1/4oz on the L, but wont get to cast light stuff? I'm planning on throwing mainly small rigs (5g sinkers, imo mc bfs ratings seem rather conservative hence the weight) with 2" trailers for our european perch, or some weightless plastics.

I hope somebody can come up with something on how i can understand the difference between these ratings and their application, even if its for other mc models in the L or UL rating.

thanks in advance! I appreciate your wisdom :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help: Power Rating on MajorCraft (travel) Rods L vs. UL

Post by LowRange » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Both powers low limit is optimistic IMO. 5 gram lead heads with a 2'' plastic sounds ideal for the L powered rod. I use my volkey L to throw 3.5 gram lead heads paired to 3'' to 4'' plastics and it handles it comfortably .

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 am

I agree with this assessment. I have the 6-7 ml go emotion and it's rated 1/8 to 3/8 lures. I fishes a vision 110 just fine, as well as a jackall bling 50 squarebill. I also have the 6-8 ligh Volkey bfs and it will fish a little above the quarter ounce rating, but the 1/16 oz lower rating is optimistic. A 1/16 bullet weight with a #2 hook and a 4" finesse worm is about the least that will load up the tip. I have the 6-3 corzza ul bfs stick also. It is rated down to 1/32 oz, but a 2 gram crank is the lowest I feel comfortable with on it. In short, the lower ratings aren't realistic, while the rods will generally go a little above the upper rating.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm

i feel the same as the 2 above about the 6'7" L BFS corzza that i have. rated 1/16-1/4 but i'd say 1/8 is really the right mark for the achievable lower rating.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:49 am

I agree also, im fairly new to bfs but did notice that there is no night and day difference between the ul and L. mine are both corzza and on the ul I can go a tad bit lighter but nothing to brag about. I use the ul on 4lb and the L on 6lb and call it a day. like I said im fairly new so for me its good enough for now. just my observation as a novice, im sure others weigh in with their thoughts.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Don't forget, it is not just the rod. You can get closer to the lower end provided you are using a reel that is actually capable of throwing that stuff too. Some guys are using standard spool reels and expect to achieve the results listed on the BFS rod blank, it isn't going to happen in almost all cases.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:12 am

The Volkey UL and L are very similar in power as well. I'm not sure if this is something that applies across the board with the Major Craft BFS rods or if it is just the Volkey and Corzza.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:10 am

In My opinion the Corzza UL/BFS is more like a typical L-rod and the L/BFS more like a typical ML-rod. And for me the Corzzas are very good hardbait-rods, but not sensitiv enough for a really good bottom-contact-rod. For smaller jigs and rigs I would prefer one of the Volkeys.
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:52 am

-Boris- wrote:In My opinion the Corzza UL/BFS is more like a typical L-rod and the L/BFS more like a typical ML-rod. And for me the Corzzas are very good hardbait-rods, but not sensitiv enough for a really good bottom-contact-rod. For smaller jigs and rigs I would prefer one of the Volkeys.
Ah, there is a difference in the sensitivity on the Volkey and Corzza. I didn't know this. Thanks for the info.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:56 pm

In my opinion the Volkeys feels more crispy. In this case I would compare the Volkeys with the Veloce Neos on one level - and the Corzzas with the Bosco Nuovos.
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

shu-bfs
Angler
Angler

Post by shu-bfs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:02 am

I currently have the Go Emotion 694-UL and just got back from fishing in Hawaii with it. Caught a lot of LM Bass in the 2-4# range, blue tilapia and omilu . Mainly tossing ~1/8oz hardbaits. I think the low end limits would be the reel. FYI it's a great travel rod!