Skipping with BFS Reels

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Skipping with BFS Reels

Post by Cracker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:For those who think Shimanos are poor at skipping. :lol:
https://youtu.be/sY5SBlDMXFE
That first beautiful pitching skip is courtesy of the Aldebaran BFS XG. Chronarch MGL is also shown skipping quite easily in this video
I watched that video previously and it is impressive!
You can skip with Shimano, the question is how consistently you can do it. Same story when you pick a rock for skipping.
Daiwa for me is way more consistent on skipping.
I gave up using my Chronarch after I wasted couple spools of fluorocarbon. With Daiwa reels backlashes still occur, probably 1 to 10 ratio compare to Shimano.
Zona looked pretty consistent to me lol. And I thought he was just a hype man for BASS. Dude actually fishes.
You didn't watch him fishing whole day. I could make a video of myself doing same thing. In a bass club I fish I haven't seen anyone yet who could skip consistently whole day with Shimano reels. Those folks have outdated Curado's and lower level Shimano's.
Some guys who like to skip docks switched to Tatula's TWS and doing it really good.
Last edited by Cracker on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:57 pm

IAY wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:For those who think Shimanos are poor at skipping. :lol:
https://youtu.be/sY5SBlDMXFE
That first beautiful pitching skip is courtesy of the Aldebaran BFS XG. Chronarch MGL is also shown skipping quite easily in this video
I watched that video previously and it is impressive!
You can skip with Shimano, the question is how consistently you can do it. Same story when you pick a rock for skipping.
Daiwa for me is way more consistent on skipping.
I gave up using my Chronarch after I wasted couple spools of fluorocarbon. With Daiwa reels backlashes still occur, probably 1 to 10 ratio compare to Shimano.
I had a lot of trouble skipping with the older SVS system, but I find the new SVS infinity to be much easier to tune into. The trick is to be able to get enough momentum on the spool for the centrifugal break to really kick in, and it is more comfortable to get the extra distance than Daiwa for me. I've found shallow spool skipping to be really easy, since the spools can reach much higher start up speed, but some lighter lures around 2 grams just doesn't have enough mass to skip any relevant distance imo.
This is what I afraid of, if I buy a new Shimano MGL reel with SVS system and it would cast and skip farther vs Daiwa SV spool reels. Don't want to invest a grand or so into new line up :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:46 am

The handful of skips in that Shimano video tell us very little. I have no interest in skipping with a centrifugal braking reel because I understand that a system that cuts in and then cuts out is not the type of braking I want to control a lure rapidly decelerating as it skips across the surface of the water because much of the breaking needed is occurring below the cut out point of the centrifugal brakes making the user rely on spool tension and thumb. Ideally I'd prefer a braking system that allows me to run with little to no spool tension for easy of rotation and brake at all speeds of the spool in relation to spool speed so I can skip thumb free or with very minimal thumb. As it turns out Daiwa's SV spools do just that. I am really curious about the Shimano DC brake systems. I understand they have an aggressive brake mode that is sort of like a 'ramp to stop' on variable frequency drive. I'd love to play with that.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 am

LowRange wrote:The handful of skips in that Shimano video tell us very little. I have no interest in skipping with a centrifugal braking reel because I understand that a system that cuts in and then cuts out is not the type of braking I want to control a lure rapidly decelerating as it skips across the surface of the water because much of the breaking needed is occurring below the cut out point of the centrifugal brakes making the user rely on spool tension and thumb. Ideally I'd prefer a braking system that allows me to run with little to no spool tension for easy of rotation and brake at all speeds of the spool in relation to spool speed so I can skip thumb free or with very minimal thumb. As it turns out Daiwa's SV spools do just that. I am really curious about the Shimano DC brake systems. I understand they have an aggressive brake mode that is sort of like a 'ramp to stop' on variable frequency drive. I'd love to play with that.
If I'm not mistaken you don't have any Shimanos, correct?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:48 am

Bootytrain wrote:
LowRange wrote:The handful of skips in that Shimano video tell us very little. I have no interest in skipping with a centrifugal braking reel because I understand that a system that cuts in and then cuts out is not the type of braking I want to control a lure rapidly decelerating as it skips across the surface of the water because much of the breaking needed is occurring below the cut out point of the centrifugal brakes making the user rely on spool tension and thumb. Ideally I'd prefer a braking system that allows me to run with little to no spool tension for easy of rotation and brake at all speeds of the spool in relation to spool speed so I can skip thumb free or with very minimal thumb. As it turns out Daiwa's SV spools do just that. I am really curious about the Shimano DC brake systems. I understand they have an aggressive brake mode that is sort of like a 'ramp to stop' on variable frequency drive. I'd love to play with that.
If I'm not mistaken you don't have any Shimanos, correct?
No, but I've got an Engetsu PG on the way. Very excited to get my hands on that platform. Much the same way I don't care to try and skip with a centrifugal braking reels I'm not particularly wowed by the casting distance of most of my Daiwa reels especially the SV spool'd ones. I've always preferred centrifugal braking for distance and have high hopes for the Engetsu as a crankbait reel.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:02 am

LowRange wrote:The handful of skips in that Shimano video tell us very little. I have no interest in skipping with a centrifugal braking reel because I understand that a system that cuts in and then cuts out is not the type of braking I want to control a lure rapidly decelerating as it skips across the surface of the water because much of the breaking needed is occurring below the cut out point of the centrifugal brakes making the user rely on spool tension and thumb.
Uhhh.... what? I run reels so that tension knob is applying no pressure on the spool except for swimbait reels with heavy spools. The magnetic field generated in disturbance according to Faraday's law is linearly proportional to EMF generated, rotational velocitytr, and time. The centrifugal force is based on mass times velocity squared divided by the radius so the break does get stronger "faster" as you increase the rotation. I can easily set my break on high and increase the area of friction to have thumb less breaking on my Shimano reels as well.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:26 am

IAY wrote:The magnetic field generated in disturbance according to Faraday's law is linearly proportional to EMF generated, rotational velocitytr, and time. The centrifugal force is based on mass times velocity squared divided by the radius so the break does get stronger "faster" as you increase the rotation.
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:52 am

drewlesch wrote:
IAY wrote:The magnetic field generated in disturbance according to Faraday's law is linearly proportional to EMF generated, rotational velocitytr, and time. The centrifugal force is based on mass times velocity squared divided by the radius so the break does get stronger "faster" as you increase the rotation.
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
Nice! =D> =D>

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:24 am

IAY wrote:
LowRange wrote:The handful of skips in that Shimano video tell us very little. I have no interest in skipping with a centrifugal braking reel because I understand that a system that cuts in and then cuts out is not the type of braking I want to control a lure rapidly decelerating as it skips across the surface of the water because much of the breaking needed is occurring below the cut out point of the centrifugal brakes making the user rely on spool tension and thumb.
Uhhh.... what? I run reels so that tension knob is applying no pressure on the spool except for swimbait reels with heavy spools. The magnetic field generated in disturbance according to Faraday's law is linearly proportional to EMF generated, rotational velocitytr, and time. The centrifugal force is based on mass times velocity squared divided by the radius so the break does get stronger "faster" as you increase the rotation. I can easily set my break on high and increase the area of friction to have thumb less breaking on my Shimano reels as well.
Both braking types increase braking as spool rotation increases and decrease braking as spool rotation decreases. This does not mean that they are the same or even similar. Centrifugal brakes, when compared to magnetic, struggle to control the spool at low RPM and, in particular, as the spool is rapidly decelerating. Skipping is very much an exercise in spool control at low rpm and for whatever reason centrifugal braking reels struggle to offer the level of control at these speeds as magnetic braking reels offer. Perhaps it is because the brake shoes are hinged and are pulled away from the race as the spool slows? Some centrifugal brakes are even held in the retracted position by springs and the spring must be overcome before they can even brake at all and then are retracted once centrifugal forces fall below the tension in the spring, There is decidedly a cut-in and cut-out behavior to centrifugal brakes that is great of distance casting but not my favored braking system for for any control orientated application.

The difference between the two at low RPM is easily observed. Crank up the brakes on a centrifugal reel and on a magnetic reel. Set both reels with the same spool tension and flick the spool. Which spool stops sooner?
Attachments
Cast_control.GIF
Cast_control.GIF (9.86 KiB) Viewed 4937 times

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 am

LowRange wrote:
IAY wrote:
Both braking types increase braking as spool rotation increases and decrease braking as spool rotation decreases. This does not mean that they are the same or even similar. Centrifugal brakes, when compared to magnetic, struggle to control the spool at low RPM and, in particular, as the spool is rapidly decelerating. Skipping is very much an exercise in spool control at low rpm and for whatever reason centrifugal braking reels struggle to offer the level of control at these speeds as magnetic braking reels offer. Perhaps it is because the brake shoes are hinged and are pulled away from the race as the spool slows? Some centrifugal brakes are even held in the retracted position by springs and the spring must be overcome before they can even brake at all and then are retracted once centrifugal forces fall below the tension in the spring, There is decidedly a cut-in and cut-out behavior to centrifugal brakes that is great of distance casting but not my favored braking system for for any control orientated application.

The difference between the two at low RPM is easily observed. Crank up the brakes on a centrifugal reel and on a magnetic reel. Set both reels with the same spool tension and flick the spool. Which spool stops sooner?
I don't know what kind of skipping you do, but I have never seen someone softly cast something to skip. Mag breaks are definitely better for pitching and flipping... but not learning how to use a tool when skipping is definitely on you :lol: :lol: :lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 am

I take it you have never skipped with an SV or other Air Brake spool? You really ought to give it a shot if not. They're eye openers in the skipping department for sure.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:14 am

LowRange wrote:I take it you have never skipped with an SV or other Air Brake spool? You really ought to give it a shot if not. They're eye openers in the skipping department for sure.

I've also owned SS SV, and also casted Steez Limited XHL and Millionaire I'ze w SV105 spool. The older generation SV spool kinda over breaks too much for my taste, and I could not get the same "reach" that I can with the new Steez SV TW. The 13 Met has KTF finesse spool, and 16 Met MGL has the KTF Neo spool and they both skip very well in my hands, and reaches a bit more, even with my poor casting stroke. I personally think they are all pretty great, and you can get used to any of em if you put some time into it.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:55 am

^ Nice lineup you angry elf :)

Practice makes perfect, it's a skill, not the reel. I can skip a clapped out quantum just as good as a shim/daiwa \:D/

jkleino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkleino » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am

^^^^WHOA, when did Hackney get on TT?? :D

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:11 pm

jkleino wrote:^^^^WHOA, when did Hackney get on TT?? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Quantum probably won more tournaments than any other brand.