Suggestions for a enthusiast crankbait rod?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Suggestions for a enthusiast crankbait rod?

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:48 am

bronzefly wrote:I have really been enjoying the Megabass Black Jungle Shallow Fast Moving Special, great rod:

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=8391

Hey bronzefly how does the SFMS fish in comparison to the f2016 destroyer 4-66x Cyclone? Or even a tomahawk ?
Wait, I guess what I'm really asking is which is your favourite MB rod for cranking with? lol

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:57 am

leggomye990 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I have really been enjoying the Megabass Black Jungle Shallow Fast Moving Special, great rod:

Hey bronzefly how does the SFMS fish in comparison to the f2016 destroyer 4-66x Cyclone? Or even a tomahawk ?
Wait, I guess what I'm really asking is which is your favourite MB rod for cranking with? lol
I'm not a fan of glass rods. The Tomahawk 71 is a fantastic rod for guys who like glass, I don't. The Cyclone is a nice shorter stick, but has quite a bit less power than the SFMS. Both the Cyclone and Tomahawk 71 are more moderate and less powerful than the SFMS. The SFMS suits my style of fishing a wide range of treble moving baits, along side it's beloved big brother, the Deep Cranking Slow Rolling which sadly is discontinued. I find that I can throw shallow to mid depth cranks, including square bills and a bunch of top water baits, very effectively with the SFMS.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:25 am

Ok got it, thanks. So for like 2.5 sized squarebills in the 3/8oz range, the SFMS would be the rod of choice?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:20 am

leggomye990 wrote:Ok got it, thanks. So for like 2.5 sized squarebills in the 3/8oz range, the SFMS would be the rod of choice?
For me, out of what is currently available, and compared to the JDM Cyclone Destroyer and the Tomahawk 71, absolutely without a doubt.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:36 am

And there it is there!

Great stuff as per the usual G.W. I definitely want one \:D/

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am

Lol thanks for the suggestions guys.
Narrows it down to the MB SFMS or Jackall PG.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:08 am

Wolfgang is more of a jerk bait rod.
Versatile, can be used for cranks too, I Guess.

Just that I wouldn't use it primarily for cranks.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 am

I use a X7 Super Elseil. Can double as a bottom contact rod. Top of the line sensitivity, lightweight, and balances great. The fit and finish of the X7's is unmatched.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:53 am

X4

I bought this rod from TTT by a recommendation from Gary and I love the rod. Is a close second to my favorite crank rod a Edge Nickel Black 705 crankbait rod.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Patex wrote:CBR 843 GLX
I agree! I have that rod with the new MGL on it and find is a marriage made in Heaven!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:07 am

The Daiwa Steez Fel-X-Lite 7ft Medium is a great rod for what you are throwing. I love mine. It weighs 4.2oz and handles a wide array of baits. I use mine for topwater, chatterbaits, squarebills, lipless baits, spinnerbaits...it a great rod. I can handle deeper cranks (12-20ft) in a pinch as well.

It did win the "Ultimate Enthusiast" Award here on TackleTour as well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:46 am

ccass wrote:The Daiwa Steez Fel-X-Lite 7ft Medium is a great rod for what you are throwing. I love mine. It weighs 4.2oz and handles a wide array of baits. I use mine for topwater, chatterbaits, squarebills, lipless baits, spinnerbaits...it a great rod. I can handle deeper cranks (12-20ft) in a pinch as well.

It did win the "Ultimate Enthusiast" Award here on TackleTour as well.

Interested. I have always wanted to add another Daiwa rod to my lineup, I'll have to look up the review on this rod. Thanks for the suggestion :D

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:53 am

The Daiwa Steez STZ701MRBA-FL is an older rod from 2009? Has it been replaced with anything yet? or is there a new version of this rod?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:03 am

leggomye990 wrote:The Daiwa Steez STZ701MRBA-FL is an older rod from 2009? Has it been replaced with anything yet? or is there a new version of this rod?
I am not sure. I know there is a Steez XT with the same specs but I doubt it acts the same way.

I know the Fle-X-Lite is an "old" rod but at 4.2oz, that is still super light for a 7ft rod, even if it is a jig or worm rod. 4.2oz for a cranking rod, today, is still an amazing feat let alone the taper of the rod, which is perfect.

I will refuse to part ways with mine. I had it listed on here a while back and I am glad I didn't sell it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 am

ccass wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:The Daiwa Steez STZ701MRBA-FL is an older rod from 2009? Has it been replaced with anything yet? or is there a new version of this rod?
I am not sure. I know there is a Steez XT with the same specs but I doubt it acts the same way.

I know the Fle-X-Lite is an "old" rod but at 4.2oz, that is still super light for a 7ft rod, even if it is a jig or worm rod. 4.2oz for a cranking rod, today, is still an amazing feat let alone the taper of the rod, which is perfect.

I will refuse to part ways with mine. I had it listed on here a while back and I am glad I didn't sell it.

Lol, old but gold. I dont have a problem going after an "old" rod but I didnt mean to say old as in a bad way, just wanted to know if Daiwa has since released anything that replaces this rod. I never had any Steez rods in my line up but I do have Steez reel, and if the rod is anything like how it feels wen I use the Steez reel feels like, I think Im going to be in love with it, just saying. :lol: