What replaced the Pixy?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What replaced the Pixy?

Post by Frosty » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:04 pm

I still may get a PX type R just to have one :D But I agree with some of the posters...my Alphas SV casts much further than my Pixy Liberto did, I never had a Pixilla. I'm sure the Alphas Air and T3 air are even better BFS. I see no problem with the Alphas platforma I actually prefer it's size/palming over the Pixy.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:54 pm

What replaced the pixy? Heresy sir!!!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 pm

I have owned the Alphas SV, Pixy Mica, and now I currently own a PX68R. If you ask me, the PX68R is waaay better than the Alphas. I think the Alphas is a great reel, but I think the Pixys are a better reel.
<")))><{

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 am

Good to see you Reelblues!

Yeah...like some have said, nothing replaces the character and fun of the Pixy. The PX68 is nice as it has a faster ratio...but the Airy Red is special.

The Alphas SV 105s are nice, and I have replaced the 103 spools with the SV spools. But, the character and the colors and feel of the OG Pixy is not duplicated.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:02 am

Yea, I'm not sure anything actually replaces a Pixzilla.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 am

^ Yup

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 am

I had a PXR and an SPR. Both were really smooth and refined. I now have an Alphas AIR and it isn't much behind them in the smoothness/refinement.

I always thought the PXR should have had a faster gear ratio. I understand when the Pixy first came out, 7.1 was fast but, I feel when the Type R came out, it wouldn't have been out of the question to slap a high 7 or even an 8 in there.

I was very tempted to pick up another Type R but a 6.8 gear ratio is too slow for my jerkbait and shakeyhead fishing.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:12 am

ccass wrote:I had a PXR and an SPR. Both were really smooth and refined. I now have an Alphas AIR and it isn't much behind them in the smoothness/refinement.

I always thought the PXR should have had a faster gear ratio. I understand when the Pixy first came out, 7.1 was fast but, I feel when the Type R came out, it wouldn't have been out of the question to slap a high 7 or even an 8 in there.

I was very tempted to pick up another Type R but a 6.8 gear ratio is too slow for my jerkbait and shakeyhead fishing.

Your talking a littie less than 2 inches in pickup. To each their own I guess.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 am

Finnz922 wrote:
ccass wrote:I had a PXR and an SPR. Both were really smooth and refined. I now have an Alphas AIR and it isn't much behind them in the smoothness/refinement.

Your talking a littie less than 2 inches in pickup. To each their own I guess.
7.9 to 1 gives you a tad over 30 ipt.that's about 4. I'm not saying your math is wrong, you probably used a lower ratio.

If I get 4in for every turn of that itty bitty handle, it adds up
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Nothing replaced the Pixy, and nothing is replacing the Pixies in my lineup either. The Alphas air is nice, but it does not perform like my Pixillas.
The only reel that casts lighter than the Pixy is the 16 Alderbabran BFS XG imo.

HEAR HEAR! I agree. For me, it's like a Corvette. The new ones would blow the doors off the originals, but I would much rather have a 58 over a 17 model. Chalk it up to nostalgia, I guess.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:55 pm

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 am

Too bad its not a lefty. If it was i would have already bought it.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious