Line capacity confusion (JDM steez)

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Line capacity confusion (JDM steez)

Post by fishes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Advanced notice: I'm sure this is a stupid question but,
Im looking at the steez SV 105 and the line capacity reads, "12lb 40m-80m". I have no clue what that means. Can anyone clear up my confusion?

heres where I say it-
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... reshwater/

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line capacity confusion (JDM steez)

Post by adam lancia » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 pm

They give you a range because each manufacturers 12# mono is a different diameter.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:31 am

Adam could be on to something, line diameter variation is ridiculous. But it could also be suggested fill application, designed to work best between 40 and 80. Who knows...? Just know both scenario and you know what you've got. Peace!
PEACE

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:26 am

Haven't seen spool in question. My guess, however is that it has a line or groove machined into the spool sides. Fill to line (40m) for more finesse applications gives a lighter total spool/line weight, fill to near lip for applications requiring more line (80m). I think the SV spool is regarded as a versatile spool for multiple use. Line capacity will also be shown using Japanese spec lines. They will generally be thinner per breaking strain than other markets.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:50 am

this is for all sv spools. they have a line half way up the spool , and give 2 different line capacities for half fill and full fill of line, It is recommended to half fill the spool when using the spool for finesse purposes.