Daiwa z2020sh black ltd

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Daiwa z2020sh black ltd

Post by howieberger2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 am

Hey guys first time posting here and was hoping someone could answer whether the old z200/2020 reels had a zaion or plastic palm side plate. I just received my z from digitaka and was more than impressed with their service however I always thought a friends z2020 had a metal palm side plate and all metal construction. I felt this really cheapened the feeling of the reel not that it has any support ir load on the reel but just feels outta place. My tolerances aren't near as tight as I remember as well and I just feel like even daiwa may be losing it with their higher end products.. Hopefully someone can chime in. Eric B

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa z2020sh black ltd

Post by PaBass75 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:31 am

I've got a z2020 and a z200.. Both have a plastic/composite palm plate.

howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Post by howieberger2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks so much for the quick reply PaBass. Cant wait to fish mine!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm

My question would be have they fixed the thumb bar issues yet?

howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Post by howieberger2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 pm

I was under the impression that issue did not transfer over to the z from the pluton/ryoga but i could be wrong. im going to find out though as this reel will be fished very hard for big snook in soflo.

howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Post by howieberger2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:16 pm

does anyone know of a deeper spool by any chance?

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 am

Slazmo wrote:My question would be have they fixed the thumb bar issues yet?
Havent noticed any thumb bar issues on mine. Can you explain please?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:
I've qorked on two very regularly in which have had their thumb bars snap. Have even asked Akira from HH to machine up some aluminum bars to replace the OEM plastic bars. The front end of the bar is very thin and they snap with a heavy thumb especially on Aussie Cod.

howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Post by howieberger2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:32 am

well mine seems to be having an issue with one handle knob regarding a bearing i believe. it sounds like the knob is whirring loudly or rubbing something and looks wobbly but is seated correctly as i took it off and put it on to make sure...

howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Post by howieberger2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:35 am

have to be honest but i think this reel may be built slightly less quality compared to the older ones. some of my tolerances look wider than most $200 reels and the paint looks meh. but everyone has an opinion i guess.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sore Thumb wrote:
I've qorked on two very regularly in which have had their thumb bars snap. Have even asked Akira from HH to machine up some aluminum bars to replace the OEM plastic bars. The front end of the bar is very thin and they snap with a heavy thumb especially on Aussie Cod.
Two reels? Sounds more like operator error.

howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Post by howieberger2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:06 am

I'll tell you what isn't operator error is my paint peeling off my z2020 blk which is a couple days old and def has had no user error. I'm not partial to any brand own reels from them all and I can tell you my z is 100% defective from factory and wouldn't put it past another. I wil def be getting another z as I would imagine this is an isolated incident and I do really love the reel. It is hands down the best casting reel I have used. When the issue is resolved and I get another one I wil post a detailed report and some pics! I can def see someone breaking the thumbar as it is kinda janky and the magforce feels janky and well.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:Two reels? Sounds more like operator error.
Yeh nah not on the meter 30 aussie cod...

Weak point. Also the metal clutch plate that runs through the thimb bar bends and droops to the left (RH model) just a poorly designed and weak point of the reel otherwise its fine.

inchenaim
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by inchenaim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:56 pm

howieberger2 wrote:I'll tell you what isn't operator error is my paint peeling off my z2020 blk which is a couple days old and def has had no user error. I'm not partial to any brand own reels from them all and I can tell you my z is 100% defective from factory and wouldn't put it past another. I wil def be getting another z as I would imagine this is an isolated incident and I do really love the reel. It is hands down the best casting reel I have used. When the issue is resolved and I get another one I wil post a detailed report and some pics! I can def see someone breaking the thumbar as it is kinda janky and the magforce feels janky and well.
My Z's paint also peeling within single fishing session. Feeling very disappointed. :(

howieberger2
Angler
Angler

Post by howieberger2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 am

Yep mines peeling horribly within one trip. its unfortunate as i do think its the best reel i have used for what i intend to do with it. the retailer is graciously swapping out the z for a conquest with the difference in cost. i have read a couple other posts around the web describing similar issues with the paint quality and mine was the new black model. i could care less about cosmetics like most as i fish hard 5 days a week however in south floridas saltwater environment i dont want to worry about my reel corroding or oxidizing. daiwa please make a z with better paint!