PX68 SPR spool availability?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

PX68 SPR spool availability?

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:56 am

Hi,

I'm looking at getting an SPR for dedicated light cranks/inline spinner combo. However, the unique spool has me a bit worried. I looked around and couldn't find anywhere to buy one. Should I assume that if I pull the trigger on this reel that I need to baby the hell out of the spool and plan on not being able to replace It?

Thanks.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: PX68 SPR spool availability?

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:59 am

Yep. Worst case scenario you may be able to convert it back to a regular Pixy with some parts similar to converting an Arid Red Tune into an Alphas.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:14 am

That is sad to hear. They are getting very cheap on ebay, but it sounds like it could be more trouble than it's worth.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon May 01, 2017 11:34 am

If you don't damage the spool, you won't have to worry. I have reels that I have respooled, or cleaned countless times, and never had a problem with damaging a spool. Just don't drop it on the floor. That's how most get damaged.
<")))><{

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Mon May 01, 2017 9:19 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:If you don't damage the spool, you won't have to worry. I have reels that I have respooled, or cleaned countless times, and never had a problem with damaging a spool. Just don't drop it on the floor. That's how most get damaged.
I think the OP was concerned about this portion of the TT review ;

"...So I put the side plate back on and spun the handle to get a feel for the reel only it started making some noise. Long story short, since the brake blocks are free to slide in and out of their own accord, you need to be extra careful when removing and reinstalling the sideplate. Unbeknownst to me, the brakes were fully extended when I reinstalled the sideplate and I ended up bending the brake arms, damaging the spool! My reel was brand spanking new and now unusable...."

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 pm

I really liked my SPR I had. It tossed small cranks and other "easy casting" lures very well. I didn't like it so much for plastics.

I sold mine after snapping back to reality and realizing I cannot functionally have a BFS setup for every technique. The SPR is a smooth, solid reel. The price the Pixy lineup is going for these days is very reasonable.

If you do find a spare spool, you should try to dill it out to make it lighter. It is a pretty light spool to begin with.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 am

My concern is both dropping it and the ease in which the spool can be damaged just by a moment of carelessness when putting it back in the reel. It seems ill advised to buy a mechanical device without available or easily made replacements parts.
ccass wrote: I sold mine after snapping back to reality and realizing I cannot functionally have a BFS setup for every technique.
Yea, I am feeling the same way. I currently have a PX68 on a UL rod I use for trout/panfish/perch and all I ever really throw for those species are small inline spinner and cranks. The idea would be to free up the PX68 and put the SPR on that rod. But honestly I already have combos for both "light plastics" and "a little less light plastics", so do I really need a third?

But man I wish daiwa would sell spools for it.