Met. MGL Micro Module Smoothness?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Met. MGL Micro Module Smoothness?

Post by Strewth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 pm

No idea about the red sauce, but I have tried ZPI medium grease, Shimano ACE 2, Cals, ReelX soft, ReelX medium and blue Daiwa. None has removed the slight, but annoying, gear vibration for very long.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 am

Grease with ptfe was suggested here, though i haven't tried myself

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74837&start=30#p601460

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 am

Im assuming that its the stressors on gears and the malleability of said gears teeth while in a synchronous pattern.

Some gear platforms being of dissimilar metal forms one will be under higher stress than another and stress can be applied under load, strike or winding pressure on the power stroke or recovery.

Now even high strength steel alloys that are specific gear machine alloys are shown to deform and micro stress and fracture under repeated load forms and create "whine" etc in a pattern, big machines and specially made gearboxes etc can still suffer a fate well known to most. The addition of any handle shaft play which in turn add to further movement between the main gear and the pinion can and will exacerbate the whole wear issue - most will understand with those reels with plastic / graphite / carbon reinforced nylon plastics etc.

To think of gearing in a reel, the relationship of size and strength of associated parts and the relative low cost of production (per part relative), it can only be assumed that with the nature of slip and helical cut gears wear can be formed pretty quickly (especially these days with planned obsolescence). The notion that Aluminium gears are anodized and that layer is only microns thick at best and it being only ever so slightly 'self lubricating' creates another mess of gears creating their own wear and tendency to fail under pressures once that anodising layer has been scrubbed off due to the slipping of dissimilar materials and absence of lubricants over a service period. You only have to look at either Daiwa or Shimano's aluminium main gears (spinning) that were / are anodised black and spun a brass pinion gear - at some stage of their life they will lose their anodized plating on the facing of the gear teeth making contact with the pinion - and thus in time go "geary".

Application of a high pressure surfactant like PTFE, MOS2 or WS2 imho (from the absolute start or very early after the first or second service) is the only way to treat gears for high pressure applications period - however it still wont stop stretching and deformation of the gears themselves under high stress situations - I see a lot of people using the wrong sized reels for their intended applications 1000 size spin to chase Tuna here in Australia, BFS casting reels to throw 1/2 OZ lures and chasing larger fish than originally intended for. These compounds press anneal into the face and microstructure of the gears metal face and any scouring / pitting / irregularities between main and or pinion, bonding permanently enough for the service period - more than some BS marketing crap that some pleb has come up with to a pretty red oil and grease - molecular bonding is as believable as Castrol Magnatec engine oil.
Last edited by Slazmo on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 am

Maybe some Super Lube!
http://www.super-lube.com/

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm

illini wrote:Maybe some Super Lube!
While its a great lube itself, the PTFE content is very low in comparison. However you can add to that and make your own.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Slazmo wrote:
illini wrote:Maybe some Super Lube!
While its a great lube itself, the PTFE content is very low in comparison. However you can add to that and make your own.
I have a question that comes from my lack of knowledge (ignorance).
Why do the aluminum gears in my Abu Gen1 Premier baitcaster seem to hold up so much better than the aluminum gears on any of my newer baitcasters?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:33 pm

mark poulson wrote:I have a question that comes from my lack of knowledge (ignorance).
Why do the aluminum gears in my Abu Gen1 Premier baitcaster seem to hold up so much better than the aluminum gears on any of my newer baitcasters?
Put simply "Variables".

What will be crap for one will be great for another and visa versa.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Slazmo wrote:
mark poulson wrote:I have a question that comes from my lack of knowledge (ignorance).
Put simply "Variables".

What will be crap for one will be great for another and visa versa.
It seems strange, at least to me. I have two of them, the last Premier they made before they started with the Revos, and they were bought at different times.
They are both smoother than my newer aluminum geared baitcasters.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

DirtyD64 wrote: I would also assume because aluminum is lighter it should be easier to machine, but might be harder to get perfect tolerances out of (making the reel smooth or rough). As opposed to the harder brass, which might be harder to machine, but better stays set at the desired tolerances once they are achieved.
Aluminum has a lighter density than brass and is a harder material. Brass is easier to machine because it is softer, it also feels smoother due to that property.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 pm

egore1 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: I would also assume because aluminum is lighter it should be easier to machine, but might be harder to get perfect tolerances out of (making the reel smooth or rough). As opposed to the harder brass, which might be harder to machine, but better stays set at the desired tolerances once they are achieved.
Aluminum has a lighter density than brass and is a harder material. Brass is easier to machine because it is softer, it also feels smoother due to that property.
I need to search the tensile/compression strengths of both materials. Should be an interesting read up.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:10 pm

Aluminium gets stronger as it ages. Hence fatigue in boats, cars amd bike frames. Same could be said with main gears.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 am

Slazmo wrote:Aluminium gets stronger as it ages. Hence fatigue in boats, cars amd bike frames. Same could be said with main gears.
What do you mean by stronger? Does it get harder, or more rigid/less flexible?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:25 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Slazmo wrote:Aluminium gets stronger as it ages. Hence fatigue in boats, cars amd bike frames. Same could be said with main gears.
Having worked in the bike game all I know it as is "age hardening", just gets prone to fatigue, more stronger, like thee material itself becomes more brittle overall.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:42 pm

[/quote] I need to search the tensile/compression strengths of both materials. Should be an interesting read up.[/quote]

The material properties are interesting when I looked up the modulus of elasticity brass is typically more resistant to deformation and then the hardness scale listed brass as slightly harder material. Its all hocus locus guesswork without knowing their material properties or treatments though. I was expecting the aluminum to be harder and that would explain their gear sets as typically being louder. Now I wonder what an aluminum gear set sounds like in an aluminum framed reel rather than my magnesium based frames. Maybe I will throw a Core gear set in a D7 and check it out.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Having worked in the bike game all I know it as is "age hardening", just gets prone to fatigue, more stronger, like thee material itself becomes more brittle overall.[/quote]

The fatigue comes from work hardening the material when deforming beyond it's elastic range. The material deforms ever so slightly and the damage can be tracked in a historisis loop with a stress/strain curve. When the material goes beyond the elastic range it work hardens and becomes more susceptible to failure. Youngs Modulus.