Shimano Exsence

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Exsence

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Awesome setup! Best wishes!

mysteryang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mysteryang » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:27 pm

I was planning to get one soon also! Review please. Pro's? Con's? Thank you! :D

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 pm

mysteryang wrote:I was planning to get one soon also! Review please. Pro's? Con's? Thank you! :D
Pro-
Super smooth
Light weight
Damn sexy
Start up is super fast and line lay is excellent.
Casting is also excellent (used 15lb pline TCB8 and now Sufix 832 8lb)

Con-
does not have lube port

That is the only Con I can find right now, but that is only because I loved the oil ports on shimano spinning reels in the past.

This reel has been worth every penny.

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Why have they gone away from the lube port?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:41 am

wolfewiz wrote:Why have they gone away from the lube port?
I am sure it is just an extra spot for potential corrosion or water entry. I know it could be made to be 100% sealed, but just as with the anti reverse switches being moved away from, I am totally fine with all the extra holes and ports being eliminated.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm 99.99% casting and haven't bought a spinning reel for several years (pflueger president). I told myself the president is good enough and I will put my money into casting gear. Well the monkey got a hold of me and wouldn't let go. Every night for the past month I'd look at the exsence on digitaka and jls. I'd put into my cart and then take a shower and hope I could shake the monkey free. Well he got me last night and now I have a c3000m on the way. Part of me is saying "what the hell are you thinking?" You go from a $59 reel to this? The other part of me is absolutely ecstatic. I'm one of those guys who never understood what the hoopla was with high end spinning reels. Am I going to stunned by the difference?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:43 am

masterbass wrote:I'm 99.99% casting and haven't bought a spinning reel for several years (pflueger president). I told myself the president is good enough and I will put my money into casting gear. Well the monkey got a hold of me and wouldn't let go. Every night for the past month I'd look at the exsence on digitaka and jls. I'd put into my cart and then take a shower and hope I could shake the monkey free. Well he got me last night and now I have a c3000m on the way. Part of me is saying "what the hell are you thinking?" You go from a $59 reel to this? The other part of me is absolutely ecstatic. I'm one of those guys who never understood what the hoopla was with high end spinning reels. Am I going to stunned by the difference?
I would say YES, simply yes. I went from the $50 Abu's to the $200 Abu's and was amazed. Was even further amazed when I got a Stradic Ci4+. The drag and features is what sets it off for me. People act like spinning tackle doesn't matter, but when dealing with light line and finesse lures they should matter more in my opinion. To be honest for me, any baitcaster can chunk lures over 3/8oz (even though I buy nice ones). I would love to have a top of the class spinning reel, plan on buying another Stradic before long with a 7' Medium for a do it all combo.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 am

I was in the same boat and just purchased a 3000. Why am I so excited about a spinning reel? :D

I am building a point blank 701mlf all blacked out with carbon fiber grips! Can’t wait to give this combo a try!

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Damn... that thing looks like if Batman was into fishing.. with spinning reels... this is exactly what he would use.
I need one LOL, I just bought a tatula LT SS thinking that would be my "spinning reel collection update 2018"

But defiantly need this now too :crying:

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:56 pm

I finally got to test the drag on this thing on some mean Coosa spotted bass this weekend. The startup is incredibly smooth and protected my 8 lb leader just fine in open water. When I needed to pull them quickly away from docks I cranked it down and didn’t budge. I was really impressed and would easily compare favorably to my Stella. Great reel!