Orochi XX .. Steez XT .. Tatula Elite AGS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Orochi XX .. Steez XT .. Tatula Elite AGS

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm looking to buy a new rod for jigs. I want the most sensitive rod of the 3 but I live in an area where I cannot go to a local shop and pick up these rods to feel and talk to someone about them. Most of people think I'm crazy for paying over $80 for fishing gear lol. So with that being said I need someone with experience in dealing with the 3.

The Tatula Elite AGS caught my attention when it came out and it has been in my head since. I am just not certain on the AGS guides making all the difference to justify such a price jump. And how much abuse could those guides take? I know they come on a variation of the Steez.

Are the blanks of the Orochi and the Steez that much better vs the Tat Elite ?

Looking for help. I don't mind anywhere from 7' to 7'6

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Orochi XX .. Steez XT .. Tatula Elite AGS

Post by kstephes033 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I have the tatula elite 7'4" H and the 7'6" H, and would recommend the 7'4" for jigs. I did have a few of the Megabass orochi xx pitch perfect which is a 7'2" H more or less. Honestly, I was thinking about getting another one for jigs again because it was the best rod I had used for jigs. The tatula is nice, and works very well, but the orochi was just a little better. I did however pick up an Evergreen Combat Stick to try since it's about 100 less than the orochi, and I have not been disappointed. I have been primarily using it wlth 1/2oz jigs in heavier milfoil and coontail, but just used it last weekend up at Mille lacs for a football jig and it handled 4-5lb smallies amazingly well. Honestly since purchasing the evergreen I have dismissed the idea of another orochi, but you really can't go wrong with any of those I mentioned. I would personally skip the steez xt, your better off spending that kind of money on the others.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:21 am

kstephes033 wrote:I have the tatula elite 7'4" H and the 7'6" H, and would recommend the 7'4" for jigs. I did have a few of the Megabass orochi xx pitch perfect which is a 7'2" H more or less. Honestly, I was thinking about getting another one for jigs again because it was the best rod I had used for jigs. The tatula is nice, and works very well, but the orochi was just a little better. I did however pick up an Evergreen Combat Stick to try since it's about 100 less than the orochi, and I have not been disappointed. I have been primarily using it wlth 1/2oz jigs in heavier milfoil and coontail, but just used it last weekend up at Mille lacs for a football jig and it handled 4-5lb smallies amazingly well. Honestly since purchasing the evergreen I have dismissed the idea of another orochi, but you really can't go wrong with any of those I mentioned. I would personally skip the steez xt, your better off spending that kind of money on the others.
I was looking at the 7'4 tat elite. For some reason I want one really bad lol. How dependable will those AGS guides be over the years? Also.. The perfect pitch has always been on the mind too. Seems everyone loves their orochi rods. I've only considered a combat stick for a top water rod. Any experience with that rod by chance? I will have to look into the combat stick for jigs. I cannot find too many reviews on that rod though.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:30 am

Megabass XX blows the other two out of the water.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 am

GotEmOutdoors wrote:
kstephes033 wrote:I have the tatula elite 7'4" H and the 7'6" H, and would recommend the 7'4" for jigs. I did have a few of the Megabass orochi xx pitch perfect which is a 7'2" H more or less. Honestly, I was thinking about getting another one for jigs again because it was the best rod I had used for jigs. The tatula is nice, and works very well, but the orochi was just a little better. I did however pick up an Evergreen Combat Stick to try since it's about 100 less than the orochi, and I have not been disappointed. I have been primarily using it wlth 1/2oz jigs in heavier milfoil and coontail, but just used it last weekend up at Mille lacs for a football jig and it handled 4-5lb smallies amazingly well. Honestly since purchasing the evergreen I have dismissed the idea of another orochi, but you really can't go wrong with any of those I mentioned. I would personally skip the steez xt, your better off spending that kind of money on the others.
I was looking at the 7'4 tat elite. For some reason I want one really bad lol. How dependable will those AGS guides be over the years? Also.. The perfect pitch has always been on the mind too. Seems everyone loves their orochi rods. I've only considered a combat stick for a top water rod. Any experience with that rod by chance? I will have to look into the combat stick for jigs. I cannot find too many reviews on that rod though.
So far so good on the ags guides. There is no give to them, so i could see where they would be deemed as fragile since if you stepped on one or "bent" one, they seem like they would just crack, but i havent had any issues yet, only had them for this year though so no longevity reports from me. I love the elite rods, and have recommended them to anyone that asks about them, but for the price of the AGS rods you can get the Orochi which i would honestly recommend over the tatula for jigs specifically. I bought the 7'4" elite with jigs in mind, and it worked ok, but its much better as a t-rig rod imo. I dont think the orochi blows the Tat Elite out of the water after using both, but for the applications you are looking to use it for i would go that route. As for the topwater version of the combat stick i dont have any experience, but i am curious about that rod as well haha.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Megabass XX blows the other two out of the water.
I can't seem to find anyone who does not love the XX haha

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 am

kstephes033 wrote:
GotEmOutdoors wrote:
So far so good on the ags guides. There is no give to them, so i could see where they would be deemed as fragile since if you stepped on one or "bent" one, they seem like they would just crack, but i havent had any issues yet, only had them for this year though so no longevity reports from me. I love the elite rods, and have recommended them to anyone that asks about them, but for the price of the AGS rods you can get the Orochi which i would honestly recommend over the tatula for jigs specifically. I bought the 7'4" elite with jigs in mind, and it worked ok, but its much better as a t-rig rod imo. I dont think the orochi blows the Tat Elite out of the water after using both, but for the applications you are looking to use it for i would go that route. As for the topwater version of the combat stick i dont have any experience, but i am curious about that rod as well haha.
I have two Tatula elite rods. None with the AGS guides tho. But by the sounds on it the XX is what I'll pick up. I have 3 imx rods for bottom baits but I'm looking for the ultimate jig rod haha. I'll be sure and tag you when I get around to the top water rod and give my opinion haha. Prob this month or next.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 am

GotEmOutdoors wrote:
Truly so much rod for the money.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 am

papabassin wrote:
GotEmOutdoors wrote:
what is the cork quality like? I am an EVA fan

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:26 pm

GotEmOutdoors wrote:
papabassin wrote:
GotEmOutdoors wrote:
what is the cork quality like? I am an EVA fan
It's not bad, but really not the best but who cares as long as the rod performs.