Creating a new gear set- TD-Z

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Creating a new gear set- TD-Z

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:51 am

There are many talented and informed people on this site. I was hoping someone could share a little insight on creating a high speed gear set for the TD-Z.

What machine would gears be cut from? Are they forged first and then digi cut (assuming that is some high end cnc)?

I know ktf has created custom shimano gear sets and I would like to know how much it would cost to do the same for say a TD-Z. Can you imagine a 7.3 ported brass gear set? I would think that the tackle trap alone could move a 100 units rather quickly. Heck, I'm already in for 12 or so as a lifetime supply.

Just an out there Saturday morning coffee dream...

Thanks

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Creating a new gear set- TD-Z

Post by Johnny A » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:38 am

I don't know how much of the old site is available through search and "Wayback" but some of us had similar questions. If I'm not mistaken, there was a machinist who added his two cents to the conversation. I don't remember screen names though. One of the easiest ways, rather than reinventing the wheel, was to purchase precut gear sets. With a search, you can find some of them.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 am

I'm in for 5 sets, with TDZs I have now. Oh well wake up. ](*,)

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:52 pm

I would think that you could sell thousands if they are good. There are lots of us with multiple tuned Fuego's and TDZ's that are in need. Most people prefer the magnesium framed reels for bottom contact baits. It is hard to go back to slower reels once you have used faster (7.3+) reels. I wouldn't bother with anything under a 7.3 ratio.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I'd love to have 7:1, 7.3:1, 8:1, heck anything much above the stock 6.3:1 gears that would fit and mesh properly for a right hand TD-Z in stock at The Tackle Trap. I think they would be popular :lol:

Many years back, I attempted to have some higher ratio custom gear sets built for the Pixy/Alphas/Sol platform, but the companies I dealt with were unable to produce a properly meshing set. With enough time, money, skill, and proper tooling, I'd venture a guess that it could be done...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:52 pm

bronzefly wrote:I'd love to have 7:1, 7.3:1, 8:1, heck anything much above the stock 6.3:1 gears that would fit and mesh properly for a right hand TD-Z in stock at The Tackle Trap. I think they would be popular :lol:

Many years back, I attempted to have some higher ratio custom gear sets built for the Pixy/Alphas/Sol platform, but the companies I dealt with were unable to produce a properly meshing set. With enough time, money, skill, and proper tooling, I'd venture a guess that it could be done...

Sounds expensive.... :(

I really don't like any of the new Daiwa reels. There is a strange corner on the the Tat/Zillion frame just behind the drive gear that is right where I rest my middle finger. I cannot seem to get over it. I have 3 SV103 but they make me miss the air metal. It blows my mind that I can't find a reel that can best a 2005 model.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:56 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I'd love to have 7:1, 7.3:1, 8:1, heck anything much above the stock 6.3:1 gears that would fit and mesh properly for a right hand TD-Z in stock at The Tackle Trap. I think they would be popular :lol:

I really don't like any of the new Daiwa reels. There is a strange corner on the the Tat/Zillion frame just behind the drive gear that is right where I rest my middle finger. I cannot seem to get over it. I have 3 SV103 but they make me miss the air metal. It blows my mind that I can't find a reel that can best a 2005 model.
They actually started being produced in 1999 :shock: Almost 20 years later and still highly relevant. Really feel for you righties :whistle:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Teal101 wrote:
RMCatchNrelease wrote:

They actually started being produced in 1999 :shock: Almost 20 years later and still highly relevant. Really feel for you righties :whistle:
Wow! That just drives home how amazing the TD-Z truly is.

What was the Top of the line competition of the time?

I have yet to try a better (more fun) combo than a TD-Z With the blue emblem.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
RMCatchNrelease wrote:

Wow! That just drives home how amazing the TD-Z truly is.

What was the Top of the line competition of the time?

I have yet to try a better (more fun) combo than a TD-Z With the blue emblem.
Shimano had the Scorpion Metanium MG and XT. Not nearly as relevant nowadays as the TD-Z. The TD-Z was produced until 2006 as well, seven year run is a long one!
I like TD-Z's

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Tackletour did a shootout between the tdz and calais back in the day. The tdz won and gets my pick between those two also. I really wish they would make an anniversary edition or a tdz sv or something with higher than 6 ratio gears in it though. I'd think a faster gearset would sell like hotcakes. I know I'd be in for a couple sets for my plastics and jig rods

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:34 am

The limiting factor to faster gear ratios is two fold. First, you only have so much room in the gear box for a bigger drive gear. Second, the pinion can only get so small before the diameter of the gear adversely alters the angle of the gear teeth. The second factor causes even a new, technically perfect set of gears to feel rough. Basically the angle of the teeth on a smaller gear cause more space between each tooth causing them to feel rough. That's my understanding at least. Third, once you determine how small you can make the pinion, your center to center distance also becomes a limiting factor.

That being said, I'd love to see someone come up with a solution that accounts for those issues though I have no idea how you would go about that without completely redesigning the reel...

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 am

adam lancia wrote:The limiting factor to faster gear ratios is two fold. First, you only have so much room in the gear box for a bigger drive gear. Second, the pinion can only get so small before the diameter of the gear adversely alters the angle of the gear teeth. The second factor causes even a new, technically perfect set of gears to feel rough. Basically the angle of the teeth on a smaller gear cause more space between each tooth causing them to feel rough. That's my understanding at least. Third, once you determine how small you can make the pinion, your center to center distance also becomes a limiting factor.

That being said, I'd love to see someone come up with a solution that accounts for those issues though I have no idea how you would go about that without completely redesigning the reel...
Being that they make a gear set for the lefties that is 7:1 I would assume a righty could be cut from the same cloth and work. A higher ratio than that could be troublesome for the reasons you stated though!
I like TD-Z's

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Teal101 wrote:
adam lancia wrote:The limiting factor to faster gear ratios is two fold. First, you only have so much room in the gear box for a bigger drive gear. Second, the pinion can only get so small before the diameter of the gear adversely alters the angle of the gear teeth. The second factor causes even a new, technically perfect set of gears to feel rough. Basically the angle of the teeth on a smaller gear cause more space between each tooth causing them to feel rough. That's my understanding at least. Third, once you determine how small you can make the pinion, your center to center distance also becomes a limiting factor.

Being that they make a gear set for the lefties that is 7:1 I would assume a righty could be cut from the same cloth and work. A higher ratio than that could be troublesome for the reasons you stated though!
That makes too much sense.