LIN10 vs Monoblock, thoughts?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

LIN10 vs Monoblock, thoughts?

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:46 pm

I just picked up a Monoblock. I'm not sure where it will fit in my collection and would like to know how it compares to a LIN10 in application. I'll be looking for a Megabass stick with red accents to match the reel. I've got a LIN10M on an Orochi xx JPN EMTF I could move off to make room for the smaller Monoblock and move up the LIN10M to a beefier stick I have yet to purchase. Conversely, I could keep the LIN on the EMTF and aquire another stick for the Monoblock. The one thing I am missing in an enthusiast gear that I could use is a sub 7' moving bait stick. I also don't own a big bait or proper mag flipping stick because I don't fish those presentaions currently but likely will in the future. Both reels are red.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: LIN10 vs Monoblock, thoughts?

Post by papabassin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Welcome to the Block! 8-)

I absolutely love mine. I use it for moving baits from 3/8 - 1oz. To me, it feels right at home there and have never felt the need to go out of that range with it. But I do know that a lot of folks on here use their monoblocks for the 1 - 3oz lure range as well. So, I really feel like you could probably go either way with the options you're eyeing. Unfortunately, I don't have a Lin10, so I can't offer up any direct comparisons. Good luck! I'm intrigued to see which way you end up going with this.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:26 pm

If you picked up the RH Milano on here, congrats on the score. That was an amazing deal. I'd drop the coin to invest in ZPI spool bearings and carbontex drag washers at least, perhaps bump up to either 6.8 or 7.2 gears, all of which The Tackle Trap would be happy to do for you, or provide the parts either way.

If you want a versatile, heavy duty flipping stick and more than capable big bait rod that the Milano and LIN feels and looks great on, consider the Megabass Super Red Demon.

A favorite enthusiast stick in the sub 7' moving bait category of mine is the Black Jungle Shallow Fast Move Special, though it's highlights aren't in line with a red reel, it's awesome nonetheless. I have a tricked out Ito 103HL on mine with a ZPI NRC001-PG spool and it's moving bait fun time!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 pm

I have one of each and absolutely love both. In my opinion the two finest reels ever made as far as precise machining, tight tolerances, and smoothness. As refined as it possibly gets.

To me the Lin 10 is at its best with bigger baits like 1-4 oz swimbaits, whopper plopper, anything like that. But it is also a great reel for 1/2 oz and up standard fishing if you use a more standard line. I use mine allot with 15 lb test with bigger crankbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, etc. Amazing how smooth and powerful this reel is under load with heavy resistance baits. Love it for tip down presentations where its heavier weight doesn't bother me.

The Monoblock is more a general all purpose reel. It is lighter weight so it also works great with tip up presentations. The one drawback is it only has 10 brake settings and anything over 3 totally kills distance so it in practice only has 3 breaking settings. With the stock spool it felt like I had either too much or not enough breaking and needed one more half adjustment. So I got the Millionare 103 long pinion shaft to fit all TDZ platform spools and put in a SV spool and now its fantastic. With the long pinion shaft you can use any TDZ platform spool of choice and get a fantastic all purpose reel and get whatever spool you need to suit your needs. Right now I have it on my USA Destroyer Javelin and its an ergonomic match made in heavin and use it as an all around setup for single hook moving baits, jig and worm, and bigger treble hook baits. But have also loved using it as an allaround cranking reel. Really it is one of the best reels ever for anything from bait finesse to heavier standard duty depending on the spool you put in. Enjoy!

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Both are great reels, you should have at least one of each. Lin10 for the bigger baits.
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:16 am

I'm a big fan of both the LIN and Monoblock platforms, and don't think you can go wrong with either. As Gary said the gearing options available for the Monoblock reels creates a good deal of flexibility. I would say that the 1010 spool in the LIN reels also opens things up a bit. With the 1010 and 30lb braid the LIN can do just about anything you could ask and in my hands is a bit easier to pitch with (of the two).

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 pm

drewlesch wrote:I'm a big fan of both the LIN and Monoblock platforms, and don't think you can go wrong with either. As Gary said the gearing options available for the Monoblock reels creates a good deal of flexibility. I would say that the 1010 spool in the LIN reels also opens things up a bit. With the 1010 and 30lb braid the LIN can do just about anything you could ask and in my hands is a bit easier to pitch with (of the two).
1010... What kind of spool is that?
Thanks!

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:00 pm

fffishing wrote:
drewlesch wrote:I'm a big fan of both the LIN and Monoblock platforms, and don't think you can go wrong with either. As Gary said the gearing options available for the Monoblock reels creates a good deal of flexibility. I would say that the 1010 spool in the LIN reels also opens things up a bit. With the 1010 and 30lb braid the LIN can do just about anything you could ask and in my hands is a bit easier to pitch with (of the two).
1010... What kind of spool is that?
Thanks!
SLP works 1010 spool, I believe was part of the upgrades offered as a part of the t3 customization program. I think Africanbass here on the forums was one of the first to post about the compatability between the t3 spools and the LIN platform. It's not an easy find, but if you're investing in a LIN, it's worth seeking out as a shallow spool option. Some more educated members can chime in but I think any of the t3 variants fit the LIN platform (providing tuning options).

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:33 pm

I believe the new ZPI spools also work in the LIN 10. The RCS 1000 and RCS 1012 SV spools should also work in the LIN 10. But the stock spool works fantastic for 1/2 oz and up and ok for 3/8 oz and to me if you are going below that your better off with another reel. The LIN 10 is kind of heavy for bottom contact tip up presentations and it makes sense to take advantage of its incredible power under load and use it with resistance baits.

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 pm

hungry_cow wrote:I have one of each and absolutely love both. In my opinion the two finest reels ever made as far as precise machining, tight tolerances, and smoothness. As refined as it possibly gets.

To me the Lin 10 is at its best with bigger baits like 1-4 oz swimbaits, whopper plopper, anything like that. But it is also a great reel for 1/2 oz and up standard fishing if you use a more standard line. I use mine allot with 15 lb test with bigger crankbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, etc. Amazing how smooth and powerful this reel is under load with heavy resistance baits. Love it for tip down presentations where its heavier weight doesn't bother me.

The Monoblock is more a general all purpose reel. It is lighter weight so it also works great with tip up presentations. The one drawback is it only has 10 brake settings and anything over 3 totally kills distance so it in practice only has 3 breaking settings. With the stock spool it felt like I had either too much or not enough breaking and needed one more half adjustment. So I got the Millionare 103 long pinion shaft to fit all TDZ platform spools and put in a SV spool and now its fantastic. With the long pinion shaft you can use any TDZ platform spool of choice and get a fantastic all purpose reel and get whatever spool you need to suit your needs. Right now I have it on my USA Destroyer Javelin and its an ergonomic match made in heavin and use it as an all around setup for single hook moving baits, jig and worm, and bigger treble hook baits. But have also loved using it as an allaround cranking reel. Really it is one of the best reels ever for anything from bait finesse to heavier standard duty depending on the spool you put in. Enjoy!
Are you talking about using TDZ pinion shaft to make monoblock fit TDZ platform spools. That's what I did for my BFS racing milano :)
Also am I the only person complaining the monoblock does not come with click drag and spool tension?

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:34 am

hungry_cow wrote:I believe the new ZPI spools also work in the LIN 10. The RCS 1000 and RCS 1012 SV spools should also work in the LIN 10. But the stock spool works fantastic for 1/2 oz and up and ok for 3/8 oz and to me if you are going below that your better off with another reel. The LIN 10 is kind of heavy for bottom contact tip up presentations and it makes sense to take advantage of its incredible power under load and use it with resistance baits.
To each their own, I couldn't be more happy with the LIN with the 1010 and 30lb braid. It's an option vs the stock spool which provides flexibility and I think the platform is about more than just resistance baits. Having options and a versatile heavy power rod means I can fish a bunch of scenarios and save a spot for a tech specific set up. It really boils down to I enjoy fishing the LIN every opportunity I can get!

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:37 am

If I could have just one, I take the LIN. It’s not about build quality or ability as much as profile. Simple as that.

Mono’s disappear when held. Micro adjust with refinement to match, oriented toward lighter offering. It’s a treat so tasty, for me, feelings of guilt surface while using. They are that nice. Elegant and gorgeous.

In contrast, LIN’s are guilt free and down to business. If line capacity were no issue I honestly don’t have a bait I would fear throwing with them and I have a reasonable selection of fairly substantial baits. What I just wrote is saying something.

Have no fear buying, you’ll sense no redundancy between them. Two very different platforms. Each outstanding.
PEACE

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:52 pm

hzzhangc wrote:Also am I the only person complaining the monoblock does not come with click drag and spool tension?
It can be done. Avail Morrum drag star kit and PX-R drive shaft will get you your clicks

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm

[/quote]
To each their own, I couldn't be more happy with the LIN with the 1010 and 30lb braid. It's an option vs the stock spool which provides flexibility and I think the platform is about more than just resistance baits. Having options and a versatile heavy power rod means I can fish a bunch of scenarios and save a spot for a tech specific set up. It really boils down to I enjoy fishing the LIN every opportunity I can get![/quote]

I have used the SLP works 1010 spool in my LIN 10 and is does work very nice, but I liked the stock spool a little more even for allaround duties. I have used my LIN 10 before as an all-around setup when I am packing light and only taking one setup but in response to the original question of how the Monoblock fits in to an arsenal already having a LIN 10 if I had both on the boat I would prefer the Monoblock for my all purpose setup and my LIN 10 for resistance baits. But yes both can serve as all purpose reels and I can certainly understand not wanting to but down a LIN 10. It puts a smile on your face each time you use it, but having a Monoblock to pick up makes it a little easier to set down the LIN 10!

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:08 pm

hzzhangc wrote:Also am I the only person complaining the monoblock does not come with click drag and spool tension?
I don't mind that it doesn't have the clicking drag and spool tension as you can micro-adjust even more without if needed. I do however wish it had more breaking adjustments. There are only 10 and everything 4 and higher just kills your distance so I only use 2 and 3 and allot of the time it feels like I need breaking right in the middle. With a high control spool like the SV spool it doesn't matter but with the stock spool or faster spools I find myself wishing for more fine tuned breaking adjustment settings like most Daiwa reels have.