Steez 17 spinning reel

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez 17 spinning reel

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Hurry up and get here already.... ](*,)

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 am

It is just a beautiful reel . . . look forward to hearing more about them, more pics once they are mounted on rods, strung and ready for fishing.

Brad

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Got it today :)

Its smooth and sweet.
The drag is one of the best I have seen in a spinning reel....
The reel is defiantly a finesse reel, it don't hold much line, that can be a good thing and a bad thing, so far its a
good thing.

Fuego2
Angler
Angler

Post by Fuego2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 am

Congrats ! Very impressed with mine so far.

wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wbook01 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:32 am

Mine has been sitting in the import customs office at O'Hare since Nov. 11. :roll:

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:35 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Got it today :)

Its smooth and sweet.
The reel is defiantly a finesse reel, it don't hold much line, that can be a good thing and a bad thing, so far its a
good thing.

Beautiful but wish it were magnesium instead of plastic. Still can't get away from metal; although I understand why companies are doing it and I know it will last and perform. If they eventually remove all flex I will try it again.

Rick

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 pm

karirick wrote:
Beautiful but wish it were magnesium instead of plastic. Still can't get away from metal; although I understand why companies are doing it and I know it will last and perform. If they eventually remove all flex I will try it again.

Rick
Honestly I bet If I handed someone this reel and a Magnesium reel the person would not be able to tell the difference
between them without checking the specs, they both have that hollow feeling.

Its also not plastic, Zaion or Ci4+ is carbon mix, some carbon mixes are actually more rigid vs aluminum or Magnesium.

I'm not saying its better or worse, just different....

Kinda like a Glock :big grin:

http://www.daiwa-cormoran.info/dw/en/67 ... wledge.htm

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm

karirick wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Got it today :)

Its smooth and sweet.
good thing.

Rick
Wow looks just like the saltiga only more fancy plastic and no magic oil.

What main gear did they use? Hyper digigear fancy stuff?

I dont know what it is....but i never saw the value in last years steez and exist.....for 390 it kinda makes a bit more sense if it gets the good gearing. Congrats on your new baby :)

But when i compare it to the twinpower and excense stella...For your $$ you get a ton of extra parts in the form of a worm gear oscillation system and I really like that. I feel like with daiwa...every reel is the same exact thing just different lego parts and paint. Which isn't bad since they make some precise legos. But daiwa's caught some serious flack in saltwater world for exactly that.

And there's no magseal i'm to gather in a flagship reel. Interesting. So the cost better be in the country of origin and gear set to justify almost being 3x the tat price at msrp I just ordered a few pounds of daiwa reels ranging from the exceler to the saltiga 5k...That tatula looks like it has some serious potential.....If the ballistic and tat have quality gearing and not some crappy zinc.....oooof.......lookout ci4 plus stradic 5 and 6 ounce spinner with decent capacity and no tiny spools and rotors....HELL YES!!!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Not being mag sealed is one of the reasons I purchased this reel, that way I can service it myself with ease.
But maybe mag sealed are easy to do....I have no idea

I hope it has some excellent gears, since this is my only Daiwa, I'm not sure what gearing it actually has since I'm not very familiar with Daiwa stuff LOL.

Machine cut digigear it was it says
Hyper digigear sounds good though :big grin:

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 am

Fuego2 wrote: I spooled one up with 8 lbs braid last night and winged a nose hooked 4" Senko around. The drag does anything you want it to. So far I am very happy. You will be too.
Do you use any backing or tie directly to the spool?

Fuego2
Angler
Angler

Post by Fuego2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Fuego2 wrote: I spooled one up with 8 lbs braid last night and winged a nose hooked 4" Senko around. The drag does anything you want it to. So far I am very happy. You will be too.
Do you use any backing or tie directly to the spool?
A few wraps of 4 Lbs mono. Actually worked pretty good. The knot laid right in the notch in the spool perfect. 6 Lbs braid would be ideal on this reel. I'd feel a little better with 6 Lbs backing. I don't know why ? If you got down to the backing with this spool you're in trouble regardless.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
karirick wrote:

Rick
Honestly I bet If I handed someone this reel and a Magnesium reel the person would not be able to tell the difference
between them without checking the specs, they both have that hollow feeling.

Its also not plastic, Zaion or Ci4+ is carbon mix, some carbon mixes are actually more rigid vs aluminum or Magnesium.

I'm not saying its better or worse, just different....

Kinda like a Glock :big grin:

http://www.daiwa-cormoran.info/dw/en/67 ... wledge.htm
Wasn't knocking the reel; just haven't seen a Zaion/CI4+ not flex a lot at least compared to aluminum or magnesium. I'd like to handle this new Steez if i could. The new Daiwa's are sure light; will have to handle one and see how they feel.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 pm

How do you like the steez compared to the exsence?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:57 pm

karirick wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
karirick wrote:
Wasn't knocking the reel; just haven't seen a Zaion/CI4+ not flex a lot at least compared to aluminum or magnesium. I'd like to handle this new Steez if i could. The new Daiwa's are sure light; will have to handle one and see how they feel.
I know, your good.
Some people don't know the difference between plastic or carbon.

masterbass wrote:How do you like the steez compared to the exsence?
I'm not sure, I have not gotten a chance to fish the steez yet, I was going to go today but the weather kept me home :evil:

Just out of the box they are both amazing reels, both smooth, the daiwa is lighter with a better feeling drag, the shimano
feels more solid.

I ended up putting the Steez on the Megabass Addermine and the Excense on the 852 NRX, both are super light weight.
The steez/megabass combo weighs less then most spinning reels.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Used the reel today, its now at the top of my list of "go to spinning"

There is nothing I would change with this reel....love it

but that might be because its new :big grin: