Round reel

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Round reel

Post by Obz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Looking to add a round reel to my collection. I ordered a st.croix LE 7MHF 3/8-1oz. I'm looking for a fancy round reel to use for 1/2oz topwaters, cranks and spinnerbaits. I don't use moving baits much. The plan going to put 14lb test on the reel and use it for spinnerbaits in the spring, topwater, and maybe some midrange cranking. I looked at the conquest 100 but I think it is undersized based on line capacity. So I'm considering the 200? If I could get a deal on a monoblock that fit the Bill.. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and should just get a chronarch. I figured if there was a rounder that would fit the bill you guys would know. Thanks for the read.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Round reel

Post by papabassin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:19 pm

I have two round reels - Conquest 101HG & Monoblock Ito Gambler. No doubt I will one day have another. I love my roundies.

With the rod, line and applications you mentioned, I see no reason to jump up to the 200 sized Conquest. You should be right at home with the Conquest 100 and line capacity will be a non-issue in my opinion. Now if you were throwing big swimbaits on 20 pound Fluorocarbon on a long, heavy rod, then yeah, a 200 sized Conquest might be the ticket.

The Conquest is one of the finest piece of machinery you’ll ever fish with. It’s got all the power you’d need, very tight tolerances and is silky smooth on both the cast and the retrieve.

The Monoblock is a different animal. There’s something so prestigious about them. I fish everything I own, and when I bring out the Block I almost start feeling guilty. They have prestine beauty and obviously the performance is as spectacular as anything you’ll fish.

You can’t go wrong with either. The choice is yours!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm

papabassin wrote:I have two round reels - Conquest 101HG & Monoblock Ito Gambler. No doubt I will one day have another. I love my roundies.

With the rod, line and applications you mentioned, I see no reason to jump up to the 200 sized Conquest. You should be right at home with the Conquest 100 and line capacity will be a non-issue in my opinion. Now if you were throwing big swimbaits on 20 pound Fluorocarbon on a long, heavy rod, then yeah, a 200 sized Conquest might be the ticket.

The Conquest is one of the finest piece of machinery you’ll ever fish with. It’s got all the power you’d need, very tight tolerances and is silky smooth on both the cast and the retrieve.

The Monoblock is a different animal. There’s something so prestigious about them. I fish everything I own, and when I bring out the Block I almost start feeling guilty. They have prestine beauty and obviously the performance is as spectacular as anything you’ll fish.

You can’t go wrong with either. The choice is yours!
Thank you! That's the reassurance I was looking for. I've had my eye on that conquest 100 now I have a reason to snatch one.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:00 am

Everyone should own at least one Conquest in their lifetime! Classic, beautiful pieces of art.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 am

Honestly I'm going to catch Flack and I believe I mentioned in another post, but I wasn't that impressed with the conquests. don't get me wrong Super Rad reels but just didnt live up to the hype for me personally. I love me Manoz!! I believe I had a solid specimen as well the previous iteration of Conquest before these latest models were released.

Anyway I most certainly sure you couldn't go wrong with wrong with Shimano Conquest but I really love the TD Luna 103, cv-z, millionare like reels :big grin: and hopefully soon monoblocks! Fierce multi-game players

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:36 am

I have a ringa SSS tuned by Ian.. I did NOT like the original spool and got a TD X spool that I like in it..I don't know what it is about it but I like it.. also the gears were upgraded to 7.2:1 and drag was upgraded.. maybe a good way for you to.. I have a conquest 50 and a Calcutta GT TE 100. The 50 is like a palm full of joy.. but line cap don't lend it to long distant heavy line casting.. I use poppers with it and jb.. but I
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:08 am

I have both the CQ100 and CQ200. Granted, I use 12lb test on both (one flouro and one mono) and have more than enough line capacity on the 100 to throw any of the baits you recommend. I wouldn't think there would be an issue with 14lb test either.

Adam

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 am

I have the Conquest 100HG, Luna 103, TD-X, CVZ, and Abu (1600 Morrum)

They are ALL surpassed by my 2 RYOGA 1016's! One has a 1012 Spool and the other stock.

They are smoother and handle better. I have to admit I was surprised!!

The Morrum actually comes in second. Another surprise!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 am

This seemed to good to pass up! I guess a rounder will have to be my next purchase.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:42 pm