Rays studio diy spool problems??

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rays studio diy spool problems??

Post by Ish87 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:38 pm

I just received my rays studio diy solo for a chronarch 50e and one for my shimano casitas mgl. I spooled then casitas mgl rays spool with 10lb mono and the ch50e rays spool with 8lb red label flouro. So i when to to try the ch50e first and no complains. Casts effortlessly. I was casting a 2gram lure no problem great distance, but I can't say the same for the spool for the casitas mgl. I had all 4 brakes on with the dial at 5 and I was getting backlash after backlash. I took the spool out and compared it the mgl original spool and I realized that the little brake holder on the casitas mgl spool is shorter and the one on the rays studio is a little bit longer. So what I think is going on is since the brake holder is longer the brakes aren't really engaging properly. I noticed that if I put the brake dial to 6 on the rays spool the spool wouldn't spin because the brake cone on the dial would touch the rays spool brake holder and when I did the same with the mgl spool it didn't do that. Has any one who owns a casitas and has a rays spool experience the same problem? Or maybe 10lb mono is to large of a line? Any body have any info or feed back i would like to here from your thoughts.

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rays studio diy spool problems??

Post by LuS » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:33 am

Might be a bit late... but if the brake rods rub because they are too long, no line will ever make a difference. those rods need to carefully filed or turned down, an operation that is likely at great risk to the spool. Sorry...
Luca :)