Shimano World Shaula

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shimano World Shaula

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Anybody using these rods? I've grown rather fond of Shimano Jdm blanks, and these ones are absolutely stunning. These are 2 piece rods, and I really like where the joint is located. Full cork, salt and freshwater offerings. Not sure if I can handle the price tag though.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano World Shaula

Post by Cristo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm all Megabass at this point but those things look rad they even have a four-piece :big grin:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Dang HogSticker2 you got my monkey in overdrive now ](*,)

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Looked at those rods, but couldn't figure out how they would better than Ultima, Poison Glorious rods in bass applications.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Cracker wrote:Looked at those rods, but couldn't figure out how they would better than Ultima, Poison Glorious rods in bass applications.
They probably aren't better. Blank technology is the same, only 2 piece plus there is some added attraction.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Cristo wrote:Dang HogSticker2 you got my monkey in overdrive now ](*,)
That's kinda how I feel

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:18 am

Well I guess you and I will have take the plunge :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 am

Cristo wrote:Well I guess you and I will have take the plunge :lol:
That's a deep plunge :shock:

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 am

Considering the price of the Conquest line, for example, these are priced fairly well considering the technology. For those who like a good looking rod (this guy O:) ), it looks about right on target. The search for the ultimate travel rod becomes more complex as I continue following and enjoying the teachings of tt

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:05 am

This will be me!!!!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Cristo wrote:This will be me!!!!

:lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:Considering the price of the Conquest line, for example, these are priced fairly well considering the technology. For those who like a good looking rod (this guy O:) ), it looks about right on target. The search for the ultimate travel rod becomes more complex as I continue following and enjoying the teachings of tt
True. I'm not sure a more ultimate travel rod exists. I've been eyeballing the Olympic Graphiteleader Veloce RV for some time now. I really like that Olympic rolls their own blanks in Japan, and manufacture the blanks for Evergreen. However, they aren't exactly beauty queens and lack the Jdm flare. Then there is the Evergreen Light Calvary series. Those look a little better, but still don't really pop. Both rods are also roughly 3 times more expensive than the Veloce RV. For me, the blank is of most importance, and I have no doubt the Shimano blank will be beyond fantastic.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm

I have 3. 2 BCs and 1 spin. Any particular info that you are looking for?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:05 am

JWY wrote:I have 3. 2 BCs and 1 spin. Any particular info that you are looking for?
I'm looking for all of it! I'm looking at either the 1650 or 1651 casting models. Any idea what those 2 are like regarding actual power and ratings? How do they fish? Blanks feel good? Anything you can add, I'm all ears.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:50 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
JWY wrote:I have 3. 2 BCs and 1 spin. Any particular info that you are looking for?
I'm looking for all of it! I'm looking at either the 1650 or 1651 casting models. Any idea what those 2 are like regarding actual power and ratings? How do they fish? Blanks feel good? Anything you can add, I'm all ears.
The ones I have are a 1702R-2, a 1653R-2 both in red and a 2701FF-2 in blue.
Assume you would be all over this already, but for the sake of others who might be interested:
1xxx/2xxx = BC/Spin;
x70x = 7' length;
xxx0/xxx1/xxx2/xxx3... = power rating: BFS/light/'standard'(whatever that means)/power model of the 'standard'...;
xxxxR/xxxxF/xxxxFF/xxxxSS = regular/fast/extra-fast/super slow

In my opinion, the power rating is pretty accurate and the taper description is spot on - as we would expect from a model of this calibre. Not the lightest rods especially the lighter models, but all 3 that I own are very easy to balance even with light reels. Sensitivity is pretty good in my hand but we don't really utilise much bottom contact techniques here, and almost everyone uses PE/braid with a relatively heavy leader (20lb counts as finesse) for their lure fishing, plus fish here don't tend to 'nibble' :D Overall, excellent blanks, as good as you can get from Shimano's freshwater line-ups so far.

Not a fan of coloured blanks but these rods are beautiful especially when under the glaring tropical sun. Build quality is decent but I have seen better on other makers. I like its classic styling and full length cork grip but the quality of the cork is typical JDM - far inferior than the AAA or even the AA grade we are used to seeing on higher end offerings Stateside.

In short, great rods and definitely my go-to. If money is no issue, go for it. Or you can keep an eye on the Japanese auction site for the models you like for the right price - almost all models are 1/3 cut which means you can ship them with EMS, much cheaper.

Can't post photos here well so if you are interested in some photos of rods along with the fish they caught me, just PM me and I can email you.