Megabass F5st-611X7 BearingDown Type X

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass F5st-611X7 BearingDown Type X

Post by Cristo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:33 am

In any case do find the many fun techniques that work for you and think out if the box a little. My 2 cents humbly. You may find yourself pleasantly suprised. I can certainly say this has been the case for me on many models/series of MB rods. Enjoy for sure and do be sure to post pictures. We never get tired of some nice eye candy as well as opinions :big grin:

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:13 pm

I will try to post some pics.
I noticed that MB rods are'nt as stiff as other rods and even that they are rated Ex-Fast or Fast they have a taper that bends nice.
Will see how this rod will perform with other lures that the exclusive jigs...i think I'll not get disspointed with it. For now I wasn't dissspointed with a MB rod and I didnt regret that I bought one so far...and I bought 10 of them...
In the end I hope this rod will do the job for other lures and techniques...probably as the reviewer Cal said in his review "is a matter of get use to the rod and its taper to fish with different type of baits "...

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 pm

i wouldn't see it as being effective as a moving bait rod. its perfect as a bottom contact rod. one of my top 2 mb rods ever.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:21 am

I'll see in 2 weeks when the rod is arriving...
I will try it with spinnerbaits and 10-12 cm minnow wobblers (jerkbaits)...as long with jigs of course.
I really think that the tip its going to be very important in moving baits others that the jigs.

:)

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:I'll see in 2 weeks when the rod is arriving...
I will try it with spinnerbaits and 10-12 cm minnow wobblers (jerkbaits)...as long with jigs of course.
I really think that the tip its going to be very important in moving baits others that the jigs.

I wouldn't even attempt any moving baits with this rod. As other have said the solid glass tip is just too soft/flexible, Its probably the only x7 I know that is technique specific (bottom contact only) and not as versatile as the other rods in the line up. It is however, really sensitive and really fast when it comes to bottom contact fishing. Don't be afraid of setting the hook on this rod despite the soft tip. Ive put some of the strongest hooksets with this rod and have no problem lifting 4lbs onto the boat.

i guess, you'll find out once you get.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Thank you all for your advices :)

Still...I know it is a specific jig and bottom rod...but the review that Cal made it reveals that is a subjective way to fish this rod with other baits and it depends how the angler is going to get use to it...

I have also seen a MB F4st-69rsdti, witch has also Ex-Fast action with a stinger tip and works great with jigs but also with small plugs (5-7 cm small minnows and crancks) and spoons 6-9 gr for pike...the soft tip allows it to get some pretty cool movement of the baits and let the fish nibble the lures when they are undecided...

I guess that de fish different because I fish in Europe for zander and pike (not for bass) with different baits...

Tks again... :)

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 am

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:Thank you all for your advices :)

Still...I know it is a specific jig and bottom rod...but the review that Cal made it reveals that is a subjective way to fish this rod with other baits and it depends how the angler is going to get use to it...

I have also seen a MB F4st-69rsdti, witch has also Ex-Fast action with a stinger tip and works great with jigs but also with small plugs (5-7 cm small minnows and crancks) and spoons 6-9 gr for pike...the soft tip allows it to get some pretty cool movement of the baits and let the fish nibble the lures when they are undecided...

I guess that de fish different because I fish in Europe for zander and pike (not for bass) with different baits...

Tks again... :)
To be honest, ive never even attempted small crank baits on it, so maybe it can mange them. Let me know how it handles them. Btw congrats on your new acquisition. I love my type x bearing down. Im sure you will, too.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:08 am

The rod just arrived, but its raining heavily... :(

I think that the rod has a really nice taper...the tip is great...
In my opinion its going to manage with different type of lures...but I guess not to heavy because the tip its delicate somehow...

Those who fished it...what was the maximum weight of the lure that you have load this rod? Its going to support 1 oz (28,5 grams)? What do you think?

Can I give solid hookups to the fish? Solid ones for pikes 3 - 5 kg?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:52 pm

I use this rod primarily for heavier 3/8 oz drop shot, weightless 5" senkos usually wacky, 1/4 oz shakey heads. I've honestly never had to hit a fish hard with this rod because the tip does all the work for you in my opinion. Once you see the tip bounce or feel the bite usually i just reel up and they are already hooked. It has a lot of backbone but with the stinger tip and rarity of the rod. I just don't do it even though it could probably handle it. Here are a couple pics of the taper for reference.
IMG_3877.JPG
IMG_3877.JPG (31.91 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3874.JPG (29.68 KiB) Viewed 3612 times

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:51 am

Tks for the pics and your opinions.

I've made a few casts yesterday and I think its superb.

Mainly its a jig rod by definition and taper&tip...but...I've cast minnows, Spinners, spinnerbait, even sliders(Salmo Sider) ... it handles nice but with a little atention for the cast because the tip is delicate but strong...

I'll have to are how it performs on the water and in drill with pikes...

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 am

A beast for zander and pike on the bottom...3 kilo fish no problem :big grin: