Megabass F5st-611X7 BearingDown Type X

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass F5st-611X7 BearingDown Type X

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Hello,

Can anyone help me and tell.me if the Megabass F5st-611X7 BearingDown Type X is only a jig rod or is also good for crankbaits and spinnerbaits due to its soft stinger tip?!?

I read the review on tacketour and its says that is good also for small cranks and surface baits like the stickbaits.

I want to purchase one and fish it for pike with soft plastics on jigs, cranks(ocasionaly), suspending 120 mm minnows and spinnerbaits.

Do you think that the stinger tip can do the jobs?

Bronzefly...you know well the MB rods. HELP me with your knowlegde and advices.

Thank you all.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass F5st-611X7 BearingDown Type X

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 am

Can anyone help me with a pic with how the tip and the taper of this rod is bending?

Tks.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:38 am

Hang in there someone will get you squared away! From my understanding once you get used to how it loads it does become a fine moving bait as well as bottom contact rod but I have no personal experience with this Rod although it's on my Big Board of free agents to go after :lol:

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:48 am

Tks for your opinion.
I also read that is a bit versatile once you got used to its taper and tip.

I also want to know how it loads with baits like cranks and spinnerbaits, lures that are flying thru the air more difficult that jigs and softbaits?

Tks.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 am

http://tackletour.com/reviewmbbearingdowntypex.html

Edit: Just saw the OP already read the review. I guess here's the link for anyone else interested.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 am

I need to know if somebody fished this rod with any other baits besides jigs and softplastics???

Tks.

Ps: Cal and Bronzefly are very experienced with MB rods...so...help me guys. :)

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 am

I haven't read the review, but I had the rod for a couple years and fished it a lot. It's extremely sensitive for bottom contact, but "ultra extra fast" action of the stinger tip doesn't lend itself well to treble hook moving baits in general. It has a very, very light tip and a very strong backbone - all wrong for treble hook moving baits in my hands, but others may feel differently. It's an X7, so it's a great blank and a fine rod for lighter bottom contact, but I would not recommend it for cranks and 120mm jerk baits.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 am

I see...

I thought that it is a bit versatile because in the review they said that "the soft tip expands the utility of this rod" even for topwater lures like stickbaits and even small crancks.

I want to use it for pike in rivers and lakes especially with soft plastics but also with crancks and spinnerbaits. The europeean pike attacks the lure different from the bass. Sometimes they take the lure with force somethimes they just nibble it...in my mind i thought that the flexible tip of the rod lets the fish to inhale the lure and then with its backbone to set the hook strong because the pike has a tough mouth.
Do you think that the strong backbone pulls the lure from the fishes mouth regarding cranks and jerkbaits?

What do you think...?

Tks.

Ps: I've already bought one for 300$. (SH) :)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 pm

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 pm

You may find it suits your needs well and I hope it does, that was a very good buy for $300 indeed! The rod is a very strong medium heavy with an incredibly fast action that hits backbone very far up the blank, again, not best suited in my experience for anything other than bottom contact. I have no experience with a European Pike, so maybe it'll work ideally for those baits in that situation. I really only fished for black bass with it but caught some big striped bass with it as well. Either way, enjoy your new rod!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:04 pm

The stinger tip really extends the utility of this rod.

Application: This is the fun part. The F5st-611X7 Bearing Down is a heavy powered stick designed for fishing jigs and soft plastics and with its unique stinger tip, it supports this technique in its own way very well. But because of that stinger tip, it affords you the flexibility to toss baits you never imagined you could with a heavy powered rod. Small cranks and top water baits in and around heavy cover and docks are a load of fun with this stick and once you get a hit, you have plenty of power to pull the fish away from cover.

Thanks to that stinger tip, this heavy powered rod actually makes a great topwater stick!

Fish your jerkbaits with long pauses between rips? Not only will your line jump when a fish hits on the pause, the Bearing Down's stinger tip flinches too. I really like this stick with the undersized Megabass X-80 Trick Darter.

But then Megabass had to muddy the waters with this new X7 version of the same rod and up the ante a bit by giving it a stinger tip. While this rod works well with jigs and soft plastics too, what I cannot get over is how much fun it is to use with small cranks and topwater baits - especially Megabass's new X-Plose. This rod is perfect for that bait because the tip has just enough give to actuate the props without pulling it too far forward in the strike zone. That bait with this rod is reminiscent of fishing big wood choppers for peacock bass in the Amazon.

The words are from the review of tackletour.com made by Cal...

Perhaps the tastes are different...we anglers have different tastes and the fish are different...

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Bronzefly...

Can you help me with a pic to view how the rod bends under different type of loads?

Can you tell me if I can do good long casts with it? It loads nice or it is too stiff ?

Tks a lot.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:Bronzefly...

Can you help me with a pic to view how the rod bends under different type of loads?

Can you tell me if I can do good long casts with it? It loads nice or it is too stiff ?

Tks a lot.
OR

Ovidiu-Andrei can you send the rest of us pics of how the rod bends under different types of loads?

And let us know how you are able to cast with it?

You bought it boss, own it, and give back to the forum.

Steez123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steez123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm

I currently have this rod and I don't feel comfortable using it with moving baits. I always feel like the tip is going to snap on me as it is so soft and flexible. The transition is extremely fast from tip to backbone. I use it mainly for light jigging. I just bought it for the oracle dragon on the handle. :lol:

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Thank you for your thoughts
I guess that the reviews are subjectives and depends a lot with the angler that does it.
Will see how this rod is going to perform with different type of baits. Still is on the way because it didnt arrived yet to me.

Curently I use for pike with different type of baits an UMBX 700H custom-made rod 3/8-1 1/4 oz Fast taper. It is stiff but the rod bends and works well when a fish strikes the lure. I guess that the tip is more stiff that the 611X7 BD.