Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:07 pm

goldrod wrote:
LowRange wrote:The black accents on the 5:1 look better IMO. A blacked out face plate on the reel looks good too and works with other black accents. Daiwa had an SLP dress up kit for the reel at one point in time and included some of these parts in various stages. I think a stage 1 is just the gloss black face plate.

Where did you find that CCC?
I like that drag star as well but I can’t find either. I got the reel in today and began inspecting
The CC knob, drag star, carbon handle and face plate were included in the silver stage 3 SLP WORKS kit. I bought the kit on plat but they are no longer available.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 pm

I will keep my eye open for that ccc and my cc close
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 am

Is there a 6.8:1 gear set that can fit this reel
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:49 pm

There are 6.3:1 and 7.1:1. The SS SV103 are color coded to ratio with accent peices around the brake dial, thumb bar insert and nut retaining plate.

Black 5.3:1

Gold 6.3:1

Red 7.1:1

Purple 8:1 (SS SV105 only?)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Question per( http://jdmfishing.com/daiwa/ss-sv/ ) http://jdmfishing.com/daiwa/ss-sv/

If I swap gears to 7.9 and higher I loose drag stack and only goto one drag?
So how much pressure am I getting? is it even worth going past the 7.1:1 gear ratio and what are those gears made of?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 pm

Just get the 8:1 gear upgrade package from the tackle trap. Both the drive and pinion gears are brass. It also comes with the carbontex drag washer stack. This kit is a very nice upgrade over stock. It feels much smoother and is all around stronger. I never weighed the before and after of the install, but it is definitely worth the weight to have the solid brass gears and is still very light weight. I also got the steez front clip,tatula 100mm handle, upgraded spool, and handle bearings. I flushed and relubed all bearings and this reel feels very nice. I am gonna use this reel for skipping weightless flukes and lighter weight rigs. The retrieve feels great, and with the drag upgrade I know it's stronger than stock but haven't fully tested it. Here is a link to a pic of what comes in the kit. http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12123
IMG_4145.JPG
IMG_4145.JPG (97.75 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 am

domthewon wrote:Just get the 8:1 gear upgrade package from the tackle trap. Both the drive and pinion gears are brass. It also comes with the carbontex drag washer stack. This kit is a very nice upgrade over stock. It feels much smoother and is all around stronger. I never weighed the before and after of the install, but it is definitely worth the weight to have the solid brass gears and is still very light weight. I also got the steez front clip,tatula 100mm handle, upgraded spool, and handle bearings. I flushed and relubed all bearings and this reel feels very nice. I am gonna use this reel for skipping weightless flukes and lighter weight rigs. The retrieve feels great, and with the drag upgrade I know it's stronger than stock but haven't fully tested it. Here is a link to a pic of what comes in the kit. http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12123

IMG_4145.JPG
Thanks for the advice.. that's nice work there.
I too went with the steez face plate. this is one hybrid reel.. I love the grey and black color scheme.
I sent several hours after work yesterday on jdm websites looking for parts and ideas..but I'll probably keep it simple sorta.

dkfreezy
Angler
Angler

Post by dkfreezy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm

domthewon wrote:Just get the 8:1 gear upgrade package from the tackle trap. Both the drive and pinion gears are brass. It also comes with the carbontex drag washer stack. This kit is a very nice upgrade over stock. It feels much smoother and is all around stronger. I never weighed the before and after of the install, but it is definitely worth the weight to have the solid brass gears and is still very light weight. I also got the steez front clip,tatula 100mm handle, upgraded spool, and handle bearings. I flushed and relubed all bearings and this reel feels very nice. I am gonna use this reel for skipping weightless flukes and lighter weight rigs. The retrieve feels great, and with the drag upgrade I know it's stronger than stock but haven't fully tested it. Here is a link to a pic of what comes in the kit. http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12123

IMG_4145.JPG
Super neat! I'm currently looking to upgrade my SS SV (I bought the 8:1 LH from digitaka) and if you don't mind sharing, which spool and handle bearings did you buy?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 pm

dkfreezy wrote:

IMG_4145.JPG
Super neat! I'm currently looking to upgrade my SS SV (I bought the 8:1 LH from digitaka) and if you don't mind sharing, which spool and handle bearings did you buy?
I went with the hedgehog studio air HD's. Not sure I needed them but wanted them.
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=8222
I bought a bunch of handle bearings off ebay a while ago, and they work ok. I said I upgraded them because I added 2 instead of the stock spacers that came on the tatula 100mm handle. I have not been able to make a full cast yet, but have skipped it quite a few times in my pool so far and I like it more than my zillion tw sv for that now surprisingly. My main use will be weightless flukes and 5" senkos. I don't need to cast very far, and will mostly skip and pitch for accuracy, but I hope the bearings make a little difference in distance cause they were pricey. The gears and drag were the best upgrade by far. The retrieve feels much more solid and smooth than before plus it's an 8:1 now instead of 5:1. I'm looking forward to using it in real world situations and putting it up to the test.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:23 am

As an FYI og zillion/sv103 gears fit as well if you use the zillion drag stack and keyed washer. Will give you a few more options in ratios.