Diawa Battler and Morethan Baitcasting reels

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Diawa Battler and Morethan Baitcasting reels

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Diawa Battler
https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/battler-tw-1520h/

Diawa Morethan
https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/mo ... aitcaster/

I am new to the JDM and Import tackle scene and I came across these two gems, which I had never seen. Looks like they are based on the Zillion frame but with magseal, custom machine knobs and a bunch of other goodies thrown in. Bought the last Morethan from Japan Tackle today to pair with a Megabass Destroyer Javalin from TWH. Waiting for both to arrive. I find it amazing that this reel was released all the way back in 2014.

The Battler really interests me, but I can find NO other information on it that the link from the Diawa AU website. No reviews, no discussion board...nothing.

Anyone familiar or have any insight on the Battler?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Diawa Battler and Morethan Baitcasting reels

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:Diawa Battler
https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/battler-tw-1520h/

Diawa Morethan
https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/mo ... aitcaster/

I am new to the JDM and Import tackle scene and I came across these two gems, which I had never seen. Looks like they are based on the Zillion frame but with magseal, custom machine knobs and a bunch of other goodies thrown in. Bought the last Morethan from Japan Tackle today to pair with a Megabass Destroyer Javalin from TWH. Waiting for both to arrive. I find it amazing that this reel was released all the way back in 2014.

The Battler really interests me, but I can find NO other information on it that the link from the Diawa AU website. No reviews, no discussion board...nothing.

Anyone familiar or have any insight on the Battler?
It looks like you are new to spelling Daiwa also. The correct spelling is right below yours. It is okay to mess up Shimano, but not Daiwa. :D

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

The morethan pe sv is designed to cast small lure/plugs far using light pe lines. an awkward reel on the paper, mid size baitcaster with very shallow spool, designed for seabass anglers in japan. It's a great casting machine for sure though

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:10 am

Both reels are a Zillion Variant, the Morethan incorporates magseal and a somewhat light spool weighing 16-17g. They are excellent reels. The battler is almost the same just a different colour and a deeper spool, weighing about the same. Both are supersmooth but are not designed for lighter stuff. They are intended for Baramundi and Murray Cod, 1m+ fish that weigh tonnes and don't really need a tonne of line capacity due to their habitats being smaller Creeks And rivers. Hope this is helpful.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks for your insight (4g, Dra). I've had the Morethan and MB Javelin for about a week now. Exquisite looking combo. The 7.7oz Morethan balances extremly well with the 7ft. 5inch Javelin. I"ve tried both 30 and 40lb Maxcuatro (6&8# eq) and also 50# PP Slick with lures from 3/16th up to 3/4 oz. Although the rod has a lure rating of 3/8th's oz, the setup will cast 1/4 oz casting plug a good 130 ft. with minimal wind. It holds a surprising amount of 30# maxcuatro which I have been using in Lake Mead making monster casts with a 1/2oz Vault Blade Bait fishing at 30ft. depth with enough line to spare.
I bought a magseal real earlier this year (a 3k Saltist) and fell in love with the feel of the magseal bearing. The Morethan has that same "feel". I used my friends Tatula SV on the rod before the Morethan arrive. Super impressed with the Tatula, but this Morethan, even though it's been 4 years since it's inception is in a whole different class.
I am amazed that you still cannot buy a US market Daiwa that has an SV Spool and Magseal. There are two misconceptions that will soon be debunked, that SV spools are best suited for finesse fishing and that magseal reels are primarily for saltwater applications.
The Morethan is basically a fancy JDM Zillion SV TW with a $125 premium in price. For all that it seems to be, it won't be suited for the Bull Reds I chase on the Florida Flats, guess I'll have to save up for the Battler for that task.

Interesting discovery....Morethan made in Thailand, MB Destroyer Javelin made in China....

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Congrats on the Morethan and the Javelin! That sounds like a killer combo! I just purchased a slightly used Morethan. It's on the way. Per the pics it appears to be a beautiful reel!!!!